Ghost Recon: Heroes Unleashed

ApexMods

Worth trying would be to delete the save folder, GR will make a new one the next time you save.

??? Not sure this means you have to start the campaign over or not???

I'm going to start a campaign. Let you know how it goes.

Edited by wombat50

Apex noted that those crashes could be due to the HUGE amount of scripts in the maps. That was some time ago. I can confirm it is that because I've been using a custom made addon that makes the mod have the vanilla missions and it works properly.

As an aside, the files you mention are not on my build either. I'm pretty sure that they don't do anything, but I'll make some quick file here in a moment to see if that gets fixed. It is worth a try.

Thank you for the files Jose!

I downloaded/installed them per your advice.  I'm copying over the fresh download of HU now, and it's going to take a while.  I didn't realize how HUGE it was: 15GB+...!

I'm trying to find where Ghost Recon keeps its Saves so that I can delete them per Wombat's advice, but I can't find it.  Google's no help either.  I own the Steam version of the game.  Could someone direct me to it?

Steam version:

Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Ghost Recon\Mods\Heroes Unleashed\save

Might be setup a little different.

Played mission one NP. What mission in the campaign started giving you trouble?

Considering then, that I deleted my first installation of HU, and it contained the game Saves, then said deletion also addressed Wombat's advice.

Running off of the new installation of HU, with the two missing files installed. 

I created a Save at the first mission's start of the default GR campaign, and then I Quick Saved.  I had only one Ghost on the map (me), and after I was killed I tried Quick Loading.  The game informed me (as usual) that the movies were not going to be saved, and that the loading of the mission would commence, then CTD.

Here's the Ike log...

***** User's system configuration *****
      CPU: AuthenticAMD 3206 MHz Recent AMD
      RAM: 4096 MB
      O/S: Microsoft Windows NT Family 6.1 Service Pack 1 build 7601
Ghost Recon (RELEASE)  version = 1.4.0.0(0)
RSDisplayMgr::CreateGameWindow: Creating a 1600x900 window at 0,0 on monitor Dell IN2020M_Digital attached to AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
RSDisplayMgr::CreateGameWindow: Game running on primary display Dell IN2020M_Digital attached to AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
HAL (hw vp): AMD Radeon R9 200 Series R5G6B5
RSSoundMgrPC: Selecting sound device Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
   driver is {0.0.0.00000000}.{9d1ebd4c-b98b-4f53-9542-bcc7ff8195e3}
RSSoundMgrPC: Selecting sound device Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
   driver is {0.0.0.00000000}.{9d1ebd4c-b98b-4f53-9542-bcc7ff8195e3}
RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\ghost recon\mods\origmiss\save\game\gr via hu 1.csf_bin
Loading map c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\ghost recon\mods\heroes unleashed\map\m01_caves\m01_caves.map
SimGun: Gun node Fixed MG 01 has no camera offset helper point.
Loading map c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\ghost recon\mods\heroes unleashed\map\m01_caves\m01_caves.map

I hope that it's informative, and leads to a solution.  The upgrades to the default GR mission that HU provides are amazing!

From Wombat:

Played mission one NP.

I'm jealous!

The campaign mission that I'm having the CTD issues with upon trying to reload is the very first one, "Iron Dragon," set in South Ossetia. 

I've tried reloading Iron Dragon by using the Quick Save as well as restarting the game and reloading from the game's every-2-min. auto-Save.  Both approaches led to CTDs.

gr via hu 1

That's what I named my play of the Campaign.  It's shorthand for "Ghost Recon via Heroes Unleashed 1".  It's not the name of the very first in-game Save.  I have no control on what to name those Saves (I wish I did, lol ). 

So, that's what I titled my play of the first Campaign.

Edited by Kyle_K_ski

OK, having same issue with Iron Dragon. I did not try quick save but pressed esc key and saved from that menu.
Tried to restart with the save and CTD.
Might be a matter of GR looking in the wrong place but not sure at this point...

Could be the huge amount of scripts (like one on the first mission that: SPOILER ALERT:

Spoiler

Makes the enemies either run to you as soon as you deploy, or make them do nothing.

SPOILER ALERT END.) or something else. I don't know. I'm using a custom addon that uses the base missions from the base game, so I haven't had a crash in a while since I started using it. The bad thing is ... well ... the scripts that you always be on your toes by making the AI be unpredictable are not there, but AI is still a challenge

Edited by Jose21crisis

Having trouble with missions 003 and 004 also. For testing I advanced the campaign using unlockhero and autowin cheats in the console.

I could use the quick load key, F7 is default, and it would restart the mission or use a autosave for mission 004. Mission 002 does not allow use of F7 without CTD. 

Definitely something that is beyond me as far as fixing. As long as quick loads or loading saves are not used, a player can probably do the missions but it would be a true test.
I like doing a campaigns in SP for the saves and you can always have a sniper which is not always the case doing these missions in MP with AI backup.
Apex has reworked these missions and they are a new test for any GR player. 

Edited by wombat50

I'm sorry to hear that I'm not the only one having Loading/CTD issues with the Campaign.  :bye:

Oh man...

Bummer!

I was really enjoying the changes that Apex had made.  It was pretty exciting, especially when one considers that it was only the first mission out of a whole series of them!  The convoy of troops, the new placement of enemy AI, how they react and respond...  Man! 

Well, as negative as this consensus is, there is one good thing that came out of it: how the community came out and generously offered help.  In my years of coming here, I've never been left disappointed by the GR community, and I'm very grateful for that.  It's a great feeling to have.  THANK  YOU again guys!  :cowboy:

So, I'll keep my fingers VERY tightly crossed that some more development-TLC is poured into getting the campaigns' Save/Load/CTD issues resolved.  It'd be a shame if they couldn't, as the tremendous potential truly is amazing to comprehend.  Who knows, maybe it can even be figured out how one can loot items from fallen corpses.  If one's going to dream, dream BIG I say! 

I've recently given up hope on Arma III, to the point that I uninstalled it.  The scale of Arma's battlefields are very enticing, but ruined by how pathetic the infantry AI still are.  It's challenging for me to comprehend how after all of these years of technology advancement, AI has yet to be produced that even meets what was created over a decade ago...  I'm talking about the AI found in GR, Rainbow 6, SWAT 3 (stunning work there!), and more.  It convinces me that game producers keep aiming for the lowest common denominator.  Titles such as the ones I stated above are true gems that deserve every bit of polish that they can get.

Again, thank you for your help.  I'll be keeping a very close eye here in the hopes that substantial improvements are made to the stability of the campaigns.  The rest of HU is already amazing - and I'll be sure to keep playing whatever I can of it.

• Like 1

I agree with J21C, play with no saves. It will take longer and require a restart or 2 but it'd be satisfying in the end.

There is some hope that after mis 002 there is some functionality to autosaves and quick load.
I didn't try all the missions in the campaign but mission 003, Eager Smoke the autosaves will load when hitting F7.
But it only works while playing. Quitting the game and then trying to load a autosave or quick save the load/start button is grayed out.

Will try a few more missions and hopefully only mis 002, Iron Dragon will be the only one where you can't load a save.

About deleting saves: tried this myself and had to completely restart the campaign from scratch.

I have not looked thru the HU documentation. Maybe there is something in the readme about saves?
Edit: Mis 004 and 005 seem to work as mission 003 in regards to saves. 

Edited by wombat50

Last night I tried Iron Dragon through MISSIONS, and not as the first part of the Campaign.

Loading the save of the Iron Dragon mission led to a CTD, exactly as if I had played it as part of the Campaign. 

I guess that I shouldn't be surprised.  I didn't know if the Mission version was as heavily scripted as the Campaign version - I guess that it is.

Prior to this, I've played the maps, but only as part of the Firefight game type.  I haven't had any issues (so far) with loading up a Save that was made for Firefights.

• Like 1

Campaign mis 002 is the only one that consistently CTD when trying to load saves. Only played thru campaign mis 004 but saves for mis 1, 3 and 4 work to a degree, a little quirky but they work. Haven't figured out why after quitting the game yesterday I could not on restarting load saves but I could today. Maybe just a one off?

Not a Igor expert, just enough to be dangerous, but mission scripting can certainly cause saves to CTD so can't rule it out. If the rest or a good number of the campaign mission saves load then it is down to mission scripting causing the CTD's. 

Edited by wombat50

Quick saves and autosaves working as to be expected and I am on Mission009. Mis 002 saves only ones that gave CTD for me.
Apex has really done an overhaul on these original missions.

-Include cinematics at start and end(not too long);
-Missions are harder and scripted differently so worth a play even if you have played the originals many times.
- Maps look much better with new textures and fog settings.
Stellar work! 

So, I'm here mainly to sing the praises of HU's Campaign alterations.

Every mission so far has an introductory cinematic that is extremely well executed.  They are IMMERSIVE and to-the-point.  In short, they get your head into the world and into the action quickly; they're elegant.  It's worth playing these Campaign missions just for them alone.  Most of my screenshots are from the cinematics.

Some of the missions also have ending cinematics.  When these are present, they're as well done as the new introductions.  Splendid.

The combat intensity is really ramped up.  The AI is not only smarter (once they're aware of enemy presence, they will HUNT you and your men down), but what they wear is a clear indicator of what they're capable of.  This adds another layer of information that's now rightfully important to gather.  I've had a few encounters where I got the drop on a group of patrolling enemies, and I had to quickly decide whether or not I should take out the more lightly armored men, or go after the ones with the bulkier gear.  In the default GR, this was a matter I never had to consider.

I have some recommendations for future releases.  Most of these are "cosmetic" but I have no doubts that they would also deepen the sense of immersion into the  game...

(1.) Add bullet whizzes, snaps and cracks for when they fly near their targets.  Arma III has a couple of enormous sound mods that do a superb job of putting this into action.

(2.) Add reverb/echoes to gunshot sounds and explosions. 

(3.) Give the default Ghosts camouflages that have more colors in them other than coyote brown & gray.  Multicam, or a fictional derivative of multicam, would be ideal.

(4.) If possible, supply a means by which the player can easily select the primary firearm and a secondary to each Ghost (via a scrolling drop down menu?).

(5.) Fix the CTD-on-Loading issue for the Iron Mountain campaign mission.

(6.) Allow corpses to be lootable.

(7.) Intensify the burning effects when armored vehicles are destroyed.  There should be intense showers of flaring particles streaming out of barrels, hatches, etc. that should last for several minutes.

(8.) Make smoke grenades throwable (currently, they just drop immediately down at the "thrower's" feet).  Also, I'm unsure as to whether or not the smoke cloud is actually hindering the enemy AI's ability to see their targets.

(9.) Some of the missions seem to demand a more *precise* solution for dealing with the threat and/or achieving a specific goal.  The one mission that most comes to my mind in regards to this is the one where the player has to protect the U.N. outpost that's near a rail bridge.  There seems to be only *one* solution to actually pulling this off and it'd be appreciated if more options were available. 

(10.) Supply a "free camera" option when watching films.  The player would be able to "fly" the camera wherever they wanted to on the map.

Again, I deeply appreciate all of the hard work that's been poured into this astounding endeavor.  Arma III's infantry-scale tactics are a far cry from what's available here.

This game with HU nearly hurts my brain from the thinking I have to do.  I love it!

• Like 2

Let's see what possibly be done:

1. I think the game has whizzes, I could be wrong though.
  2. It would take editing of every sound file to have those effects, or editing the game engine, which is not possible
  3. The ACU they have is US Army standard as of 2008, which is when the game takes place. But a lot of people doesn't like it, and its understandable. I would prefer some other camo as well
  4. Not possible due to the way GR handles equipment, which is via Kits instead of individual equipment pieces. That can't be changed as it requieres modifying the game engine.
  5. I hope Apex fixes this one.
  6. Not possible due to the way the game is coded. (I think you are starting to see a trend here)
  7. I'm not sure if editing the actual effects in game is possible, but if not it requieres game engine editing.
  8. Due to the way smoke grenades work (You place them and they spawn smoke) is not possible. And they don't affect the AI either.
  9. Well, this is Ghost Recon. The game that requieres damn near perfect execution to complete the mission with few casualties. I think it can be improved though.
  10. Engine coding stops this.

Really, what stops the game from being "The Best" is the fact that Ubi didn't release an SDK or source code of the game. Which would have allowed modders to change the way the game work, and make it even more awesome.

• Like 1