Ghost Recon: Heroes Unleashed

ApexMods

• 3 weeks later...

I only got into original Ghost Recon less than 2 years ago, and I've played loads of mods for it since then. To this date, Heroes Unleashed is still my favorite mod.

A few things I'd like to see though. I know the newest version isn't far out, but I still feel I may as well put these out there. Mostly minor-ish cosmetic and class/kit stuff, except for the Red Storm Rising issue.

- Multicam uniforms for the Ghosts: The pattern was standardized for the US Army in Afghanistan in 2010, and existed for several years before that, as well as being used by SOF before 2008. I don't think it'd be out of place for the Ghosts to be using it in any of the campaigns, not even the base game's 2008 war with Russia.

That said, I don't expect the non-Ghost US soldiers to be using it.

- Marine uniforms: In HU's 1.0.0b8 version (MP and Island Thunder) are still using M81 Woodland gear in 2010, when they'd transitioned to coyote brown gear in the mid-2000s. The MARPAT seemed a little off too. The "FORCE RECON II" mod by CommandoCrazy had the best looking Marine uniforms I've seen in a GR mod. Not saying you should use his assets without his permission, just that it's a detail that could be improved.

- Mk 16: The Rifleman class gets an iron sights only version of the SCAR-L. You may have changed this, but the point remains.

- Red Storm Rising compaitibility: The 1.0.0b8 version doesn't seem to like the Red Storm Rising mod. Also, some of the gear is anachronistic, like the M16A4 with the Trijicon reflex sight. The UCP was a problem too.

Other than those, Shakealeg1212 had some good recommendations.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

this is a long shot but does anyone know what mod the m16 an/pvs came from? its rifleman kit 130. thanks

edit: and the mp5a5/sd demo kits 165 and 170

I was just trying to figure that out myself, after seeing the M16A2+AN/PVS-4 combo in a screenshot for Ghost Legacy. 

The .rsb file for the AN/PVS rifle has the same "w_" prefix as the MP5A5, so the two probably have the same creator. Usually those prefixes indicate the creator of a texture, but I'm not aware of any weapons in the mods by WytchDokta or Wildcat that are credited in the readme.

My best guess is "Weapons of War" 2 or 3 going by the credited mods. Hope that helps. 

I was just trying to figure that out myself, after seeing the M16A2+AN/PVS-4 combo in a screenshot for Ghost Legacy. 

The .rsb file for the AN/PVS rifle has the same "w_" prefix as the MP5A5, so the two probably have the same creator. Usually those prefixes indicate the creator of a texture, but I'm not aware of any weapons in the mods by WytchDokta or Wildcat that are credited in the readme.

My best guess is "Weapons of War" 2 or 3 going by the credited mods. Hope that helps. 

the m16 came from the P2 mod. it was made by Natsanwa. the whole mod is a gold mine of awesome weapons made by him. i wonder if its possible to make some if his weapons unsilenced. 

still cant find who made the MP5A5. there are a few mp5 models ive found but they are all mp5s loaded with attachments. im looking for a simple mp5 re texture. its a shame Earl never made an MP5. 

i wonder if its possible to make some if his weapons unsilenced. 

Nat would have to alter the model to remove the suppressor but to change the sound can be done by opening a different sound in Audacity or audio editor of your choice. Edit the sound to match the 'rate of fire' and use the file names in the .gun file. Since these sounds are listed in the P2 effects.xml it is not necessary to run them thru the Sound Volume Editor in IGOR.

For example, these are the lines that gun sounds names are shown for Nat's n-famas sd.gun
<Selective>
        <SelectiveOption RateOfFire = "980" RoundsPerPull = "1" StartSound = "nat-mac-ss.wav"/>
        <SelectiveOption RateOfFire = "980" RoundsPerPull = "3" StartSound = "nat-mac-ts.wav"/>
        <SelectiveOption RateOfFire = "980" IsFullAuto = "1" StartSound = "nat-mac-sf.wav" EndSound = "nat-mac-rc.wav"/>
    </Selective>
It is a matter of using the file name an applying them to a sound of your preference but the sound must match the rate of fire.
In the example the 'ss' entry is single shot, 'ts' is three shot, 'sf' is full auto and 'rc' is the tail. This is the naming convention RSE used in the stock game but not all custom gun sounds use this format. All weapon sounds in GR are 22050Hz, mono, .wav format.

The SD weapon sounds in P2 have a rolloff entry of 2000(meters) in the effects.xml which really needs to be changed to 30. The way the SD sounds are in P2 the enemy can hear them from any distance.

Edited by wombat50
  • Like 1

good info wombat i may play around with that. 

i have a couple more HU suggestions, and i really hope i'm not starting to sound like a angry 14 year old who expects mods to be tailored just for him. 

1. nat made some very unique weapons, it looks like you've included a good bit of them. my request is the addition of the M4/PVS/203/SD from P2. one of the main characters from the show generation kill used that weapon and it gives more options for night missions with a stealth approach. 

2. i think its universally agreed here that frostbite was of the caliber of anything that RSE could put out.  it'd be fitting to add that campaign to the existing campaign in HU (of course assuming thats legal with mod permission). Again, the same with the sum of all fears. the ghosts in russia, deserts of africa, jungles of cuba, snow of norway, now at home fighting domestic terrorists in urban settings. imo it just fits. now i don't know if its possible to recreate or even port the SOAF campaign to ghost recon, or if its technically legal. even if its a new made up campaign i still think those maps would round off the ghosts campaign. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

is it sad that the release of the next version of heroes unleashed will a significant event in my life? 

I don't think that's sad at all!!!

While people are dying to play Overwatch, we eager to see our so beloved GR gets even better and better with Heroes Unleashed =]

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

same here. i just hope whenever apex gets bogged down he remembers that there are many of us here who are eternally grateful for the work he puts out and are behind him every step of the way. and i don't mean that we are pressuring him into working, but that we fully support him.

• Like 3

Apex dropped me a line a few weeks ago. Without getting into his circumstances, I can tell you has other major priorities - but he does have a roadmap for HU  - but cannot commit to a timeline.

There is always hope and your comments will keep him going!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

i just had the weirdest glitch in all of my GR career.

I was playing singleplayer defend on a DS map and about halfway through i lost control of my ghosts. the computer AI took over for me and i was left watching. i could still use  keyboard functions but the only mouse function i could use was zoom. the ghost i was controlling would aim and shoot on his own accord. didnt matter which ghost i switched too, i still couldnt control them. 

and btw i now learned that the AI has wallhacking ability

• Like 1

i just had the weirdest glitch in all of my GR career.

I was playing singleplayer defend on a DS map and about halfway through i lost control of my ghosts. the computer AI took over for me and i was left watching. i could still use  keyboard functions but the only mouse function i could use was zoom. the ghost i was controlling would aim and shoot on his own accord. didnt matter which ghost i switched too, i still couldnt control them. 

and btw i now learned that the AI has wallhacking ability

That wasn't a glitch. You probably pressed F2. F2 makes the game switch to observer mode, like you were watching a replay. While on observer mode you can switch from different camera views with F1.

• Like 3