Ghost Recon: Heroes Unleashed

ApexMods

Thanks for the heads-up, Gache. This means that SI probably downloaded from FileFront, too. What a mess!

OK, as this seems to only affect the full install for PC, I have manually uploaded this file to my personal FileFront account again as a temporary solution. Here's the link:

Heroes Unleashed v1.0.0b5 Full Install - FIXED DOWNLOAD (1012 MB)

A little update on the download problems some people encountered.

Just had another email exchange with ModDB and apparently the file corruption on FileFront got fixed. When the ModDB guys tried the downloads today everything came down intact, and meanwhile several people reported successful downloads from both FileFront and StrategyInformer, so hopefully it is all sorted out now.

Terrific work on the mod. It's been a LONG time since I've posted anything here, been too busy, but I've done some lurking every now and then, and if you visit your listing on Mod DB, you'll notice that I had the first post regarding the latest release, so y'know I still care!

BUG(s)

Quick Mission, location 124 Vigilant Resolve. One of my favorite maps, and oh my brains, has this map been giving me troubles! Only once has this map loaded up for me after saving it without quickly crashing afterwards. I have no idea why. I think that every time that it has happened it has occurred when my team has been spawned by the emplaced machineguns. Anyone else having such issues?

SUGGESTION(s)

Any chance that we could have tracer rounds from the Ghosts' small arms entirely removed, or, save the tracers for just the last 5 rounds (a technique that informs them that their magazine is about to go empty)? It's hard for me to imagine that they'd be using them in a normal fashion. In fact, if it's not possible to just remove/modify the Ghosts' tracer rounds, then I'd be perfectly happy to see tracers removed from EVERYBODY's small arms, a scenario that would be more accurate than not. Perhaps replace the small arms tracer with an invisible one?

Remove the Rounds Remaining counter from the display. It's acceptable to me to leave the Magazines/Grenades Remaining counter, but having the individual rounds counted for you takes a chunk of suspense out of the game. If the last five rounds of every magazine were tracers, then we really wouldn't need such a meticulous counter.

Is it possible to broaden the range of weaponry available to the Ghosts to include more from the Red forces? I deeply appreciate the suppressed AKS74u along with its suppressed grenade launcher, but it's surprising to me how often I'll see photographs of American SOF on patrol/in the midst of a mission, and they're carrying AKs. I've even seen photos of SOF using AKs that have been modified to be able to use Aimpoints, Reflex sites, and Western-made scopes of all sorts. In my mind, the frequency of such photos seems to indicate that such options should be more varied and available than they currently are, even in this superb mod.

Keep up the great work. And thank you for it.

Edited by Kyle_K_ski

The Quick Mission on Caya Lagos (if I got the spelling wrong, it's the map set in Cuba) is also frequently CTD on me. I always save the game within the first couple of seconds of it starting. The crashing seems like it happens after the 5-6th enemy is killed. Awesome map, it'd be great to have it in a stable format.

• 1 month later...

First of all, sorry for my late reply. Real life keeps me extremely busy with no end in sight at the moment, so I hardly find the time to keep up with forums and emails for Heroes. But don't you fear - I'm still modding and the next update for Heroes Unleashed is in the works. :)

Terrific work on the mod. It's been a LONG time since I've posted anything here, been too busy, but I've done some lurking every now and then, and if you visit your listing on Mod DB, you'll notice that I had the first post regarding the latest release, so y'know I still care!

Thanks a lot, Kyle! It's very much appreciated! :thumbsup:

I have to admit that I did not notice the separate comments in the ModDB downloads section, because of the main comment section on Heroes main page at ModDB.

BUG(s)

Quick Mission, location 124 Vigilant Resolve. One of my favorite maps, and oh my brains, has this map been giving me troubles! Only once has this map loaded up for me after saving it without quickly crashing afterwards. I have no idea why. I think that every time that it has happened it has occurred when my team has been spawned by the emplaced machineguns. Anyone else having such issues?

There are still some maps that seem to have issues with saving in certain locations. I'll have to check this one, but my preliminary guess would be that there is an issue with the 3D model boundaries, which would mean that there isn't much I can do about this at the moment.

SUGGESTION(s)

Any chance that we could have tracer rounds from the Ghosts' small arms entirely removed, or, save the tracers for just the last 5 rounds (a technique that informs them that their magazine is about to go empty)? It's hard for me to imagine that they'd be using them in a normal fashion. In fact, if it's not possible to just remove/modify the Ghosts' tracer rounds, then I'd be perfectly happy to see tracers removed from EVERYBODY's small arms, a scenario that would be more accurate than not. Perhaps replace the small arms tracer with an invisible one?

The game does not allow setting tracers for just the last couple of rounds - it only lets me set the tracer frequency for each weapon. As I recall, this is currently set to one tracer in five rounds for most automatic weapons in Heroes Unleashed, as this is the application most commonly in use for tracers in real life. But it would be possible to remove tracers altogether if this felt more realistic. I don't know what's the general consensus on this one, so people: please let me know! Maybe I should include another add-on mod in the X-tras folder for the next version that disables tracers?

Remove the Rounds Remaining counter from the display. It's acceptable to me to leave the Magazines/Grenades Remaining counter, but having the individual rounds counted for you takes a chunk of suspense out of the game. If the last five rounds of every magazine were tracers, then we really wouldn't need such a meticulous counter.

Sorry, another one that is hardcoded into the game. Try the "Hardcore" add-on mod in the X-tras folder - among other things (hardcore realism!) it takes HUD minimalism to the max. And then of course there is the option to disable HUD elements in-game with the function keys (I think it's F11 and F12 - see the manual to make sure).

Is it possible to broaden the range of weaponry available to the Ghosts to include more from the Red forces? I deeply appreciate the suppressed AKS74u along with its suppressed grenade launcher, but it's surprising to me how often I'll see photographs of American SOF on patrol/in the midst of a mission, and they're carrying AKs. I've even seen photos of SOF using AKs that have been modified to be able to use Aimpoints, Reflex sites, and Western-made scopes of all sorts. In my mind, the frequency of such photos seems to indicate that such options should be more varied and available than they currently are, even in this superb mod.

Certainly possible! I've limited the weaponry for the campaign because this is what the original game does, and also because some people might feel that there are too many weapons to choose from, already. But I agree, and I guess adding a couple of quite common "foreign" weapons in the next release won't hurt. :D

Keep up the great work. And thank you for it.

My pleasure, and thanks a lot for the great feedback! :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the extra mirror, Crash. I don't have a PC handy for testing at the moment (and my current download speed is sub-optimal). But from what I hear, the ModDB downloads should all be fine (non-corrupted) now.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, I am sorry that development has stalled for some time due to a total absence of spare time on my part, and as a result I am trailing the original timeline for a finalized release considerably. But it looks like I might soon find some time (keeping my fingers crossed) to finally continue working on Heroes Unleashed. By now there were over 20,000 downloads (all mirrors combined) and the mod even got posted on several "warez" and bittorrent sites, so I presume it is already quite popular in its beta stage. :)

Feedback for Heroes Unleashed has been a bit lacking as of late, and I am really interested in what people would like to see implemented next. Of course I will work on fixing any remaining bugs first, but luckily there don't seem to be too many. There are still some minor issues with the new game types introduced in v1.0.0b5, especially the SP/COOP "SAR" and "Random" ones, but I think those should not be too hard to fix.

So, aside from the obvious bug fixes, what is it you want me to work on next? Here are a couple of options:

- Packaging the mod in an installer application (like the update patches)

- Finish re-scripting the remaining campaign missions

- Continue fine-tuning weapons (external and terminal ballistics)

- Continue balancing map zones (insertions, extractions, spawn points etc.)

- Re-work remaining "less-than-beautiful" textures

- Add some new full-scale missions to non-campaign maps

- Add more single and multiplayer game types

- Add more weapons

- Add more maps

- Add more characters/skins

- Add more Xtras (e.g. more add-on mods)

Now, I probably won't have enough spare time to work on all of the above for the next release, so please let me know what would be the most important things for you. You are of course welcome to name other requests and suggestions missing from the list. Thank you. :thumbsup:

Just some thoughts from a co-op player.

- Packaging the mod in an installer application (like the update patches)

I like it as you have done up to this point. Correct me if I am wrong but they have all been 7Z archives.

- Finish re-scripting the remaining campaign missions

Not really interested in playing these again even if you have improved them. Let's face it, they were decent to start with. So IMHO not time well spent.

- Continue fine-tuning weapons (external and terminal ballistics)

As they are is fine. But you have improved them a good deal and if you have some ideas to improve them further, go for it.

- Continue balancing map zones (insertions, extractions, spawn points etc.)

Time well spent. For my personal use I have shifted the map points for FF's and like the result.

- Re-work remaining "less-than-beautiful" textures

:thumbsup:

- Add some new full-scale missions to non-campaign maps

- Add more single and multiplayer game types

We had a layoff from HU while we tested and played P2. Last Sunday was the first time we played HU online

since the update. I didn't realize you had added some excellent new gametypes until I saw your above post.

So we will definitely be trying some of the co-op ones. At the moment probably not time well spent adding new gametypes.

What does the XL stand for in the gametypes?

- Add more weapons

For Pete's sake I don't think I have tried them all yet and have played HU a good bit.

- Add more maps

- Add more characters/skins

Would like to see the opposing force characters with a different look then the stock ones.

- Add more Xtras (e.g. more add-on mods)

Depends on what it would be. So far we play HU without the add-on mods. It's easier that way.

Gonna get some supper now.

Apex, I simply haven't played HU beta5 enough to comment on most of these options. (After falling afoul of P2's hardware requirements, I've been running through some older, less graphically-intensive mods.)

One thing I can say, though, is that a basic 7z archive is much better easier than an installer, unless that installer is really well done. For example, most mod installers don't say whether to point them at the GR folder or the Mods folder - I've lost count of the number of times a mod has ended up in the wrong one. The messages announcing 'this is a free version of a payware installer' don't give a terribly good impression, either. HU is better than that! :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys, this is very much appreciated! :thumbsup:

I actually share your opinion on the 7z archive and prefer its simple drag-n-drop install over an installer application myself, but some people who used the update patches have approached me and suggested to have the full mod install like that, too. On second thought you are absolutely right though - this should not be a top priority at this point.

BTW - Gache, the Heroes Unleashed update patches that come as installer apps don't show a freeware reminder because I actually purchased licenses for both the Mac and PC versions, and both automagically point to the correct install location so you just need to click the install button and you're done. :)

Great feedback, wombat. Very interesting to hear you opinion on the campaign. I always wanted to play the GR/DS/IT campaigns again without the little issues that annoyed me to a degree in their original form (e.g. repetitive behavior of enemies). But I see that this may be a rather personal preference of mine, so offering completely new missions should probably have higher priority.

The new weapon ballistics setup introduced in v1.0.0b5 is indeed pretty close to what I want to achieve and many players would probably not even notice additional fine-tuning, so yes, this is another one that can wait a bit longer.

As for balancing the maps - I don't know if you noticed, but I actually scripted all game types to randomize insertion and clear the immediate surroundings of OPFOR, so you should never encounter an enemy close by you when you insert (something that happened on quite a few maps in the older versions). So remaining map balancing would mainly concern SOLO/TEAM multiplayer.

The XL game types are "Xtra Large OPFOR" versions of the originals, which means there are a lot more enemies to fight.

Yep, I hear you about the weapons - maybe it really is enough for the time being.

Maps... yes, there can never be enough of those, eh? :)

The current "ARCADE" and "HARDCORE" add-on mods in the X-TRAS folder aim to provide two additional 'flavors' of Heroes Unleashed. While the ARCADE version takes the mod closer to the original game in some ways (e.g. original reticules on all weapons, less aggressive/smart enemies), the HARDCORE version takes realism (and difficulty) up another notch (e.g. minimal HUD without threat indicator, very tough enemies). Expanding on this should probably not be high-priority at the moment, either.

Thanks again, and please keep the feedback and suggestions coming. :thumbsup:

BTW - Gache, the Heroes Unleashed update patches that come as installer apps don't show a freeware reminder because I actually purchased licenses for both the Mac and PC versions, and both automagically point to the correct install location so you just need to click the install button and you're done. :)

Ah, I didn't realise you'd bought an installer... should have looked before criticising, eh? :whistle:

(If it works, that's great... I'm still annoyed with a well-known, respected mod that installed itself in completely the wrong place the other day and made me hunt for it :angry: Sorry if I came off as harsh.)

I always wanted to play the GR/DS/IT campaigns again without the little issues that annoyed me to a degree in their original form (e.g. repetitive behavior of enemies). But I see that this may be a rather personal preference of mine[...]

Actually, playing tweaked/upgraded versions of the original campaigns is something I enjoy too... Back when I didn't have DS/IT I spent countless hours getting wiped out in the old 'New Cold War' mod - ah, good times :blink::wacko::D

Edit: Have you thought of using some of the extra maps to fill out the backstory between the original campaign missions? An 'extended' campaign might add a bit more interest for people who've played the originals a lot, and co-op players would get some new full-scale missions... hmm :shifty:

Edited by Gache

Have you thought of using some of the extra maps to fill out the backstory between the original campaign missions? An 'extended' campaign might add a bit more interest for people who've played the originals a lot, and co-op players would get some new full-scale missions... hmm :shifty:

:hmm: Hmm... inersting... :)

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this on Heroes Unleashed forums as well. I hope this is the correct place to get input:

I have to say this is a great mod.

I have been hosting a server on LAN and internet simultaneously and it has been crashing intermittently. No other mods are installed on the server nor any of the clients.

The mod priority is top-to-bottom:

Desert Siege

Island Thunder

Heroes Unleashed

The crashes happen on client started servers as well as dedicated.

I am including the IKE log text:

***** User's system configuration *****

CPU: AuthenticAMD 2080 MHz Recent AMD

RAM: 1536 MB

O/S: Microsoft Windows 2000 5.1 Service Pack 3 build 2600

Ghost Recon (RELEASE) version = 1.4.0.0(0)

HAL (hw vp): RADEON 9600 SERIES X8R8G8B8

RSSoundMgrPC: Selecting sound device NVIDIA� nForce Audio

driver is nvapu.sys

DedServerScript: Could not open c:\games\ghost recon\data\save\script\default.ass for saving

DedServerScript: Could not open c:\games\ghost recon\data\save\script\default.ass for saving

IkeRulesMgr::HandleMapScriptModsRequest - Server access not granted

Loading map c:\games\ghost recon\mods\origmiss\map\m01_caves\m01_caves.map

SimGun: Gun node Fixed MG 01 has no camera offset helper point.

RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file opposing_force_7.atr

RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file opposing_force_201.kit

Loading map c:\games\ghost recon\mods\heroes unleashed\map\msq01c_mosque_night\msq01c_mosque_night.map

RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file opposing_force_desert_7.atr

Loading map c:\games\ghost recon\mods\heroes unleashed\map\grs01_chalet\grs01_chalet.map

_Opposing Human17: I'M STUCK AT <212.355, 222.518, 1.49327>

Loading map c:\games\ghost recon\mods\heroes unleashed\map\grs01_chalet\grs01_chalet.map

Loading map c:\games\ghost recon\mods\heroes unleashed\map\ws1_whiteskull_valley\ws1_whiteskull_valley.map

Loading map c:\games\ghost recon\mods\heroes unleashed\map\ww01_winter_wilderness\ww01_winter_wilderness.map

MapLoader: Portal 4pw21_10 couldn't find attached model 00000000

All the other crashes mention missing *.atr and *.kit files

WhiteSkull Valley map crashed all the clients GR programs.

Crashlog (edited):

GhostRecon caused an Access Violation in module GhostRecon.exe at 001b:00549120.

Exception handler called in Main Thread.

Error occurred at 9/12/2009 00:35:44.

C:\Games\Ghost Recon\GhostRecon.exe, run by Cindy.

1 processor(s), type 586.

1536 MBytes physical memory.

Read from location 00000068 caused an access violation.

Registers:

EAX=0508a610 CS=001b EIP=00549120 EFLGS=00010206

EBX=00000000 SS=0023 ESP=0012fac4 EBP=0508a610

ECX=00000000 DS=0023 ESI=00000000 FS=003b

EDX=0012faec ES=0023 EDI=0b0ec8e8 GS=0000

Bytes at CS:EIP:

8b 41 68 8b 50 50 42 89 50 50 8b c2 8a 91 10 01

Stack trace:

00549120: GhostRecon.exe! <no symbol>, <no file>, <no line>

0085B3CC: GhostRecon.exe! <no symbol>, <no file>, <no line>

0040BE10: GhostRecon.exe! <no symbol>, <no file>, <no line>

I have other logs if needed.

Thank you for this great mod.

Konrad

Welcome to the forum, jconradh. :hi:

Thanks for the nice words and for posting your ike.log - most of the entries are 'normal' for Ghost Recon, for example lines like...

...will always appear when you start a standard game type like e.g. Firefight, because the game loads as many opposing force actors and weapon kits as are available, starting with opposing_force_0.atr/opposing_force_0.kit and moving up sequentially. Once all present files are loaded it will look one last time if there is more to load - e.g. opposing_force_7.atr while opposing_force_6.atr is the last one - and report that more files could not be found. So this is standard behavior which you will see without the mod as well and nothing to worry about.

The line...

SimGun: Gun node Fixed MG 01 has no camera offset helper point.

is the same story - it is found in the non-modded game as well when there are stationary weapons on the current map. IIRC those camera helper points where never implemented in the game.

A little troubling are these lines:

They have actually nothing to do with the mod either, but rather point to some potential problem with your server setup. From the looks of it the server cannot write to the game directory - maybe a Vista privileges issue?

Finally, please make sure that all players have the mod installed and that you adjust your game options to settings appropriate for your hardware. With your CPU, RAM and video card, I suggest you set all graphics options to 'Medium' (please refer to the included ReadMe file for more detailed information on options setup). The most common reason for game crashes with Heroes Unleashed are graphics options set too high. The mod is extremely(!) hardware demanding and will easily require 256 MB graphics memory and 2 GB of RAM when set to max graphics details, and high shadow details alone can slow a 2.0 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo to a crawl on some missions.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

I made this comment in this thread a few weeks ago.

- Apexmods asked: Finish re-scripting the remaining campaign missions?

I replied: Not really interested in playing these again even if you have improved them. Let's face it, they were decent to start with. So IMHO not time well spent.

A friend was curious about M07 Paper Angel mission you had redone. So I had a look see.

Wow! Gameplay improved, textures improved[the river looks great] The mission has the same objectives as the original mission but it is altogether a different experience. Gonna try the rest of the original missions HU style.

Going to my corner to eat crow. :lol:

Glad you like it, wombat. :thumbsup:

There's still so much I want to do with the original GR/DS/IT campaign missions, and even the already re-scripted ones aren't completely finished. I'm somewhat ambivalent between working on new missions or finishing the campaign first, and maybe I'll try to do both for the next update. It will certainly take some extra time, but there's no rush, right? :)

In that HU M07 I found the removal of the fog really transformed the map. The limited view distance really dates the game, but remove that hindrance and you can see clearly for long distances, making this a very beautiful map. Even right off the bat from insert, being able to actually see your objective ie.e the bridge, is very cool. The longer view distance allows the snipers to stamp their authority on the map and clear the way for the demo team.

The cinematic inserts/exfils ala GRAW complete the experience.