Ghost Recon: Heroes Unleashed

ApexMods

First of all a big "Thank You" for bringing this mod to our community.

There is far too much candy for just one Christmas ;-)

Thanks a lot, GreyHaired! Remember to thoroughly brush your teeth after all that candy! :D

I ran into a problem and asked a friend if he could reproduce it, which he could.

My commendation for this thoughtful procedure - if only it was practiced more often! :thumbsup:

Mission "Deja Vu" in grid E8 is a flight of stairs.

When I got to the top and moved forward, the floor disappeared.

It's a problem of the specific map and not of Heroes Unleashed. That map is very buggy and honestly I was surprised when it was included. I recommend to remove it from the final release.

Thanks for explaining this, GWDS! It is indeed a known issue with that specific map which is also listed in the "KNOWN ISSUES / TO-DO LIST" section of the mod's documentation:

- The Downtown Mog map model has 3D portal glitches in several rooms.

From some angles there is also a dark stripe visible on the horizon,

and various textures do not align properly with their 3D models.

It was a tough decision to include the map in spite of these limitations, but I have to admit it is one of my personal favorites, even with all of its errors. Usually, when you encounter a portal glitch in Ghost Recon (even some of the original RSE maps have them) it is best to just keep on running in the direction where the exit or next room ought to be. :)

This is by no means a solution to the problem, and I agree that the map in its current state is a candidate for future exclusion, but I am still trying to contact the original creator, Nami, to maybe get the 3DSM models for it, so it could be fixed in time for the final release.

So if anyone here has a clue on how and where to contact Nami, I would very much appreciate that information. Where are you, Nami?!?

Great mod Apex been playing a little on your server thru Gameranger. Stellar effort and I gotta tell you if the AI see you... they will fire (even from 1000 yards) :)

Thank you, njmatrix!

Yes, they are aggressive little buggers, aren't they? And although they shoot from 1,000 yards away that doesn't necessarily mean that they will hit you (something that drove me nuts in the original)! ;)

Fortunately our own AI is just as sharp ;-)

I am glad you noticed, GreyHaired! ;)

Thanks for the info ApexMods - I have overseen this in the "known issues" part.

No problem, GreyHaired. I know it is a huge ReadMe file, time-consuming to read through, and few people will have the patience for that. Still, I try to point towards it, as I spent quite a bit of time on the documentation and hope it can provide some help and useful information.

So if anyone here has a clue on how and where to contact Nami, I would very much appreciate that information. Where are you, Nami?!?

In the past I tried to contact him extensively as he had a Mogadishu map in preparation and that he never completed, but got no reply.

I'm confident to say that we can add him to the list of "desapparecidios" :(

In the past I tried to contact him extensively as he had a Mogadishu map in preparation and that he never completed, but got no reply.

I'm confident to say that we can add him to the list of "desapparecidios" :(

I feared as much - thanks, GWDS. Such a pity. I'll keep searching for him until the release, though. Still plenty of time for him to surprise us all by showing up (optimism at work, again). :)

Played Heros on a dedicated server with team Nighthawks today, as I have every Sunday afternoon for the last six years. :D

We didn't have any issues. Of course we didn't play the entire mod...

that could take another six years. Even 5D on dialup never complained of lag being an issue.

Looking forward to more good Sundays playing this mod.

This gave me a reason to reinstall again Ghost Recon.

Thanks

Thank you, 4ceReconSniper. I hope you'll keep it installed from now on! ;)

About the mogadishu map, please don't remove it on the next release, I also love the map maybe we can help and recreate a better version of this map. Just my few cents.

Because the original 3DSM models are currently not available (the author has apparently disappeared), that would mean to really rebuild the map from scratch. I would love for someone to do that, but I'm afraid that it won't be me in the near future, as I simply have too much other work on my plate at the moment.

Which brings me to another point:

An Open Invitation to My Fellow Ghost Recon Fans

Heroes Unleashed is a huge undertaking and I would love to realize many more features in its future. As the mod is a tribute to all the people in the Ghost Recon community and an attempt to revive the old-school spirit of this great all-time classic game that we love, I invite everyone to join me on this endeavor and participate in working on this.

Whether you are a mission scripter, 3D modeler, texture artist, sound designer, web developer, or you just have a general interest in Ghost Recon's future and want to contribute something else - I welcome and appreciate your cooperation. Please leave a post here in this thread if you are willing to get involved in the future development of Ghost Recon: Heroes Unleashed.

Thank you!

ApexMods

*EDIT - This has been moved to a new thread:

Ghost Recon: Heroes Unleashed - Future Development

I just came across this mod due to my system getting smashed by several viruses (one of which actually uninstalled my security hardware!). My system's finally getting its legs back under it, and I've got 4GB of new RAM to replace my 1GB of old RAM, so while my comp won't be "state of the art" it certainly should be "stronger, better, faster" than what it is currently!

So while I was away, this unbelievable endeavor gets released, and I only find out about it from my routine visits to Mod DB. Holy cow, skimming through this thread, it's amazing just how excited the community is over it! It's rare to see such pure joy and excitement over a release, and this mod is "It". The elements of randomization regarding the A.I. is a BIG plus in my book.

Can't wait to try it.

It's also quite wonderful to read the open invite from Apex to assist in any way possible, and to whatever degree possible, in making this potentially "The Mother of all GR Mods." Without question, an individual who has given generously to us, and one who is generous in receiving feedback, input, and support.

I'll be tracking this baby very closely.

My fingers are crossed that the new RAM arrives today! I'll be sure to supply feedback as I test this enormous gift out.

Thank you for your countless hours of hard work!

Yours,

Kyle

Jan. 6, 2009

:)

Kyle_K_ski, I am very thankful for your very kind words, and hope Heroes Unleashed can live up to your high expectations!

Please bear in mind that this is still a beta version, and many features are not yet fully implemented. For example, the AI randomization you mentioned currently applies to just some of the missions, but it will be brought to the entire campaign in the full release this summer. But I hope you will find enough new features to keep you busy for the time being!

My fingers are crossed for your RAM to arrive, and I hope you will have some fun with the mod, very soon! :thumbsup:

Apex,

From what I've read, you've more than earned the accolades that you're receiving, so don't be shy about it!

As I've said earlier, I haven't had the chance to even try it out, and I am just tossing this idea out there to be considered, but if the community stays consistently "hooked" on your mod, then perhaps the proposed Ghost Recon "11 year celebratory mod" first proposed here ( 11 year discussion ) can be folded into the enormous amount of work that you've already done.

Maybe a name change as well, such as "The Legacy Mod"?

Again, I'm not trying to step on anybody's toes, I'm just throwing ideas out into the water to see what kind of ripples they make.

Edited by Kyle_K_ski

Well, Kyle_K_ski, I really don't want too much of the spotlight, because there would be no Heroes Unleashed mod to begin with, if it wasn't for all the other great mods created for Ghost Recon over the years. I think my efforts don't even come close to such revolutionary projects as for example Frostbite, CENTCOM, Year of the Monkey, War of Infamy etc. - to name just a tiny fraction of the gems that were developed by the great names of Ghost Recon modding. Although Heroes Unleashed tries to reminisce about that glorious history, it can by no means fully represent the diversity and ingenuity found in all the different mods of GR's past.

As for the 10 Years Anniversary Mod, that is something for the community to decide, and I would of course be very honored if Heroes can play a part in that idea. At this point in Ghost Recon's life cycle I think it would indeed make sense to start bundling resources and concentrate on community efforts, and if Heroes Unleashed could provide a basis to build upon in this regard, that would be all I could possibly wish for.

:)

I did find something somewhat of a immersion breaker though, some guns seemed to have alot of recoil/reticule spread but others seem to recover fairly quickly. HK XM8 (Its now the M8 BTW) for example, or the Russian .50 sniper rifle. Both of them fire the reticule never spreads very much while other guns seem to do it alot. The M60 though has a pretty big ret spread when fired though, although its a machinegun, shouldnt the sniper rifle take longer to recover aswell as some other guns? It also seems like I caught alot more rounds in my armor than most of the enemies, which is fine but it seems like no matter what caliber they drop pretty fast (even from the supressed 9mm Beretta).

Edited by Foxtrot360

I did find something somewhat of a immersion breaker though, some guns seemed to have alot of recoil/reticule spread but others seem to recover fairly quickly. HK XM8 (Its now the M8 BTW) for example, or the Russian .50 sniper rifle. Both of them fire the reticule never spreads very much while other guns seem to do it alot. The M60 though has a pretty big ret spread when fired though, although its a machinegun, shouldnt the sniper rifle take longer to recover aswell as some other guns? It also seems like I caught alot more rounds in my armor than most of the enemies, which is fine but it seems like no matter what caliber they drop pretty fast (even from the supressed 9mm Beretta).

Thanks a lot for your feedback, Foxtrot360! It is very much appreciated!

Indeed, many weapons still need some fine-tuning when it comes to accuracy and handling, and the same goes for the damage model in some cases, as is mentioned in the BETA LIMITATIONS section of the mod's ReadMe:

- Weapon accuracy and handling as well as the body damage model are

experimental and require fine-tuning for the full release.

My information could be a bit off, but on 31 October 2005, the XM8 program was formally suspended "pending further US Army reevaluations", and neither Heckler & Koch, General Dymnamics, or Alliant Techsystems ever listed the weapon under this name, so I don't know if the M8 designation ever actually came in effect.

Many people who fired the M60 in its various development stages agree that it maintained one typical characteristic throughout: It kicks like a mule! It comes as no surprise when considering the fire rate at 7.62mm. Have a look at this Training Effectiveness Analysis by Thomas J. Thompson of the Army Research Institute, for example.

To fire prolonged bursts with a machine gun will usually require much more force in stabilization than a single shot from a sniper rifle, and any re-acquisition of long range targets can only be represented to a very small degree in a game like GR, where the long distances are simply not present.

As for bullet penetration of enemy armor - the feedback on that is very diverse. Some report it to be too tough to put hostiles down, while others like yourself think it is too easy. The external ballistics of different calibers should already be pretty accurate, and bullet-resistant vests of various armor levels are represented to a degree, although there might be some additional adjustments in the release version of Heroes this summer.

From the ReadMe:

- The body damage model provides more authentic wound lethality (e.g.

shots to the head are more likely to kill, while hitting arms, legs or

abdomen has a higher probability to result in non-lethal wounds) and

body armor more closely reflects real-life (NIJ Standard 0101.04)

Type II, III, and IV armor levels, e.g. characters wearing NIJ Type IV

bullet resistant vests - like support experts - have at least single

hit protection for the chest against most ammunition types.

And please keep in mind that a rebel wearing just blue jeans and a sweater will probably go down a lot faster than a Spetsnaz operator in full body armor. ;)

BTW - the same goes for the 9mm NATO penetration. So far, most people who provided feedback on it seem to think its effectiveness is too little, but then even the most basic armor usually provides at least single-hit protection from that caliber.

Is there a discussion thread about the campaign and missions in the mod? I have something to ask on m01

You are of course free to ask here in this thread, 4ceReconSniper, but there is also a dedicated web site for the mod at www.HeroesUnleashed.net you can visit to start a new discussion on this.

And don't worry - I am not trying to divert attention from GR.net! Rocky has helped me throughout the development phase and is a member there, too! :thumbsup:

Hmm sounds good then, although despite the lack of proper ranges in GR, I could basically walk around with that huge rifle, turn and then be ready to shoot. Not that big a deal but for a rifle like that it seemed a little too accurate while on the move.

Yes, I'm not entirely happy with the handling of some of the weapons yet - the V-94 might feel to "compact" for its size still - but as I said, it is a work in progress, and I will try to implement some additional fine-tuning in the summer release that hopefully remedies this.

"- Original campaign missions are re-scripted to improve scenario

realism, e.g. "No resistance remains" triggers are changed to allow

mission time without enemies showing on the threat indicator, so the

player realistically never knows if or when hostile reinforcements are

on their way. Also, reinforcements do not spawn out of thin air in

front of your eyes and the location of some enemies varies each time a

mission is done."

Two thoughts from a GR hard######-

1) No magic spawning= a very good thing

2) I forgot there was a threat indicator in GR :rocky:

Edited by mob