Give Me Back My Old Ghost Recon, Rejuvenated! That's All!

Found an excellent post by MeanMF over at the wastelands (otherwise known as the official Ubisoft forums):

[ubisoft dropping "Ghost Recon" from Future Soldier's title] would solve a lot of the problem. I think they'd be better off in the long run that way too. They've already driven away GR fans, so now their big problem is going to be attracting people away from Killzone/Halo/COD. But name recognition works both ways. A large number of people who like those games know that they DON'T like GR because it's completely different. Or at least it used to be. So they just ignore anything with the GR label on it. You see the same thing here - a lot of people here won't look at COD: Black Ops because it has the COD label on it. They already know they don't like that style of gameplay.

So by turning GR into Killzone, Ubi is making two mistakes - first, they're going to lose the remaining GR fans who like something more challenging than yet another brainless run & gun rocketfest. And second, they're going to be overlooked by fans of brainless run & gun rocketfests because the GR name will turn them off. If they had not tried to shoehorn this Killzone knockoff into the GR franchise they would have accomplished two things - 1) not turned off the GR fans (they're smart enough to realize that all their talk about realistic tactics and near-future technology in GRFS is complete and utter BS - they know Sci Fi when they see it), and 2) gotten people who didn't like previous GR games to take a look.

MeanMF pretty much nails the point here. Most hardcore Ghost Recon fans (myself included) wouldn't have the least bit of a problem with Ubisoft churning out yet another casual fantasy rail-shooter, as long as they didn't abuse the Ghost Recon franchise for this. While doing so is nothing short of an insult to fans of the tactical shooter genre in general and the Ghost Recon community in particular, it also seems very counterproductive as a promotional tool for targeting Ubisoft's new key audience - the casual console gamer.

As MeanMF quite eloquently pointed out, people with no regard for a tactical challenge in FPS games and mainly interested in action, pretty graphics, cinematics, lots of explosions and gore, and fantastically futuristic settings are hardly the ones thirsting for a new Ghost Recon title. Even the 'Advanced Warfighter' games - while well on their way to less-than-stellar tactical gameplay - didn't invite the absolute bottom feeders of the brainless run'n'gun genre.

This makes Ubisoft's decision to rape Ghost Recon yet again even harder to comprehend. They offend the existing fan community by completely ignoring the game's heritage while at the same time scaring their new key audience of casual console gamers away with a brand name that used to stand for challenging tactical gameplay.

• 2 weeks later...

Well you can still dream that RSE and ubisoft gonna make a new real ghost recon but the fact is that will never happen again ! Ubisoft just don't care about what the fans want . The new gameplay video of Future soldiers talk by itself and that's just don't loock at what GR should be !! This franchise is just dead like rainbow six ! R.I.P ghost recon.

Found an excellent post by MeanMF over at the wastelands (otherwise known as the official Ubisoft forums):

[ubisoft dropping "Ghost Recon" from Future Soldier's title] would solve a lot of the problem. I think they'd be better off in the long run that way too. They've already driven away GR fans, so now their big problem is going to be attracting people away from Killzone/Halo/COD. But name recognition works both ways. A large number of people who like those games know that they DON'T like GR because it's completely different. Or at least it used to be. So they just ignore anything with the GR label on it. You see the same thing here - a lot of people here won't look at COD: Black Ops because it has the COD label on it. They already know they don't like that style of gameplay.

So by turning GR into Killzone, Ubi is making two mistakes - first, they're going to lose the remaining GR fans who like something more challenging than yet another brainless run & gun rocketfest. And second, they're going to be overlooked by fans of brainless run & gun rocketfests because the GR name will turn them off. If they had not tried to shoehorn this Killzone knockoff into the GR franchise they would have accomplished two things - 1) not turned off the GR fans (they're smart enough to realize that all their talk about realistic tactics and near-future technology in GRFS is complete and utter BS - they know Sci Fi when they see it), and 2) gotten people who didn't like previous GR games to take a look.

MeanMF pretty much nails the point here. Most hardcore Ghost Recon fans (myself included) wouldn't have the least bit of a problem with Ubisoft churning out yet another casual fantasy rail-shooter, as long as they didn't abuse the Ghost Recon franchise for this. While doing so is nothing short of an insult to fans of the tactical shooter genre in general and the Ghost Recon community in particular, it also seems very counterproductive as a promotional tool for targeting Ubisoft's new key audience - the casual console gamer.

As MeanMF quite eloquently pointed out, people with no regard for a tactical challenge in FPS games and mainly interested in action, pretty graphics, cinematics, lots of explosions and gore, and fantastically futuristic settings are hardly the ones thirsting for a new Ghost Recon title. Even the 'Advanced Warfighter' games - while well on their way to less-than-stellar tactical gameplay - didn't invite the absolute bottom feeders of the brainless run'n'gun genre.

This makes Ubisoft's decision to rape Ghost Recon yet again even harder to comprehend. They offend the existing fan community by completely ignoring the game's heritage while at the same time scaring their new key audience of casual console gamers away with a brand name that used to stand for challenging tactical gameplay.

This sounds like me from years ago and still today. Change the name and screw around all you want. They want the casual croud and they killing a game just to try and get them. Will they aint getting the people they want and they driven the people that love GR away. A name change is just whats needed here. Then again i have been saying this for years.

Only thing that can bring GR back now is a plain out GR1 remake not tweaked in anyway except graphics! They messed it up that bad and anything less at this point wont bring must the old GR fans back. Its now they have this or that im skipping it. UBI needs to go back to the roots before they try this future stuff again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah Arrowhead looks more my cup of tea. No time for the space cowboy Bling. that's why I haven't played any of the GRAW games since GR1 - the direction just went silly after that IMO. Now MOH with its real-world grit looks more like the game GR should have become.

RSE, rainbow six , ghost recon.

I'm still waiting on news of the next Rainbow Six game. Anyway, a quick recap of what Ghost Recon is.

The Ghosts, an elite American infantry unit using the most advanced technology the United States has to offer. The Ghosts are the spearhead of the United states Army's quick response. Ghost Recon is a squad based tactical game with edge-of-your-seat action and challenging tactical gameplay. The Reticle was very unique to the game, without it imho it would not be the same.

Ghost Recon

Take a deadly, realistic lesson in how to fight on tomorrow's battlefields. Latest battlefield technology: prototype weapons and new equipment like battlefield computers.

Swift-Silent-invisible.

The Reticle was very unique to the game, without it imho it would not be the same.

the game would have been better with weapons view and more realistic.

would have been even more realistic with bullet drop..and better as a result.

without these things nowadays i would say that GR would be a fail.

MOH will never be anything like GR nor will COD or BC.

there will never be another GR but there is one that comes as close as you will get and its the BIS series.

Naturally the gameplay in MOH is over-the-top and theatrical but I'd like to see GR go woth the real-world modern day theme rather than the futuristic bs. Well guess I can't have it all my way. Even in GR1, I disagreed with the addition of the OICW.

• 3 weeks later...
Give me Ghost Recon or give me nothing! Give me all that it was, nothing more, nothing less - just pull it out of the past and push it into the present! Give me up-to-date 3D models and graphics, a new physics engine, modern sound, the latest AI routines, cutting-edge scripting capabilities - and use it all to simulate reality to the highest degree possible on contemporary hardware! And don't forget the most important thing: Give me all the tools necessary to mod the game in any way I see fit!

OA has all of what you said - all of it. But will you play it ApexMods? That is the question.

At least the words "Ghost Recon" in the title may prompt interested newbies to play the original and potentially get hooked. Hopefully it brings in new blood, even though I agree that I don't like them calling these unrealistic new titles "Ghost Recon" games. :(

• 4 weeks later...

but only if I will be able to see the unmistakably bright eyes of the father in the son's face, only if there can be no doubt about the child's ancestry!

Well said. With RSE in the driving seat, there can be no reason why Ubisoft cannot deliver a successor true to its roots; squad based, tactical, and moddable. There has never been a time for Ghost Recon fans to be more excited. :D

I have been away from this whole GR turn about for awhile hoping that i would get back to see some ground roots info for us PC players. However i just read about the psp the Wi and just all other aspects of this platform. I comend any [GR] PC players for hanging in there if there still around with a ray of hope for a PC version. I just had to chime in and say that if there any of you [GR] PC players still hanging in there, you are for sure a determined individual. BILL.

I completely fail to understand how anyone liked the mess that OFP:DR was.

But good post apart from that.

The game itself was pretty broken.. then like OFP came the community.. OGU Comminty DLC Upater, Island War 2.8,SAR Mission Updater, Nikened mission /campaign maps have turned this around and made a great game out of it. Here are a couple videos of some of TemplarGFX stuff:

I am working on a few of nikned's missions for his new campaign and they are pretty sweet. Took me 2 and 1/2 hours to complete the first mission of Campaign 4.2. They will be awesome once released.

Last I read, OFP:DR was left broken and dead. This is not the case? I didn't know ppl were modding it.

I never bought the game, but had high hopes before it was released. After checking player's reviews, I was disappointed and just forgot about it.

I assume I wasn't wrong to do so, was I?

OFP:DR Discussions Forums

:thumbsup:

but only if I will be able to see the unmistakably bright eyes of the father in the son's face, only if there can be no doubt about the child's ancestry!

Well said. With RSE in the driving seat, there can be no reason why Ubisoft cannot deliver a successor true to its roots; squad based, tactical, and moddable. There has never been a time for Ghost Recon fans to be more excited. :D

I have been away from this whole GR turn about for awhile hoping that i would get back to see some ground roots info for us PC players. However i just read about the psp the Wi and just all other aspects of this platform. I comend any [GR] PC players for hanging in there if there still around with a ray of hope for a PC version. I just had to chime in and say that if there any of you [GR] PC players still hanging in there, you are for sure a determined individual. BILL.

We have some strange beliefs.

<_<

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while and there is no news on the Future-Soldier-for-PC front. From what we've seen so far and in view of the recent RSE staff decimation I think it is fair to say that:

• There probably won't be a PC version

• Even if there would be a PC release, it would have nothing in common with Ghost Recon

• Ubisoft is either unwilling or unable to create a worthy Ghost Recon successor

Where does this leave us, the hardcore Ghost Recon fans and PC gamers? Some claim that OFP:DR or ARMA2:OA could be the answer if modded in the right way, but I have serious doubts about that. Let's put it this way: Of all the tactical shooters available today I still choose Ghost Recon again and again whenever I have some spare time for gaming. Nothing else even compares.

So I guess it doesn't bother me too much that there won't be a sequel. The original still runs just fine on new computers - great, actually - and if that should ever change, I'd certainly keep an older machine around just for GR. My friends who I regularly play Ghost Recon with over IP/LAN for the last couple of years seem to see it the same way - just the other day, one of them said:

"Look, Ghost Recon already is an almost perfect game, and it runs great on modest PC hardware, there are more Ghost Recon mods out there than we could ever finish playing through, and with the built-in dedicated server, direct-IP, GameRanger, and Xfire online multiplayer there is no way they can ever stop us from playing via internet like they did with Xbox. We will still be able to play Ghost Recon online when all current consoles have been cut off from the net. So why complain?"

I guess he's got a valid point there. Ghost Recon forever! :)

• 2 months later...

Here is what developer's need to do:

Step 1: Take GR and it's expansions.

Step 2: Update graphics but not so much that you need to run the latest and greatest hardware. Runnable by a 2008 machine is fine.

Step 3: Make a map editor in the style of the map editor released with StarCraft 2.

Step 4: Create a specific piece of streamlined software to act as the server, rather than having to upload the entire game.

Step 5: Put it on a disc and ship it out.

Step 6: Rake in the cash from the multiple copies I for one will be buying.

Have played Ghost Recon again with some guys from tangodown, and still being astonished about how well the Ai covers etc.

Graphics may be outdated, but this game still calls for an upgrade to todays standards.

I wont for sure be buying GR FS..... cloacks etc. dont appeal the slightest to me, and if I want vehicles BF BC2 is enough.... still just a tad too much run and gun, and no crouch/peek.... oh man I am yearning for some tactical shooting like the crouch only nights of old.....

Edited by Forrester