Woot! Got My New Fios Tv, Internet And Phone

Papa6

blazing fast I must say. only prob I have is, they installer gave us wireless and we wanted wired as it is more secure and faster, plus I have my dlink gaming fuel router I want to use.

but it's sweet

only downside, using a usb net adapter not very fast as it can be.

I plan to buy a couple 20/25 foot cat5 cables to plug into the router directly.

Edited by Papa6

I envy you. I'd kill right about now to just have some DSL. Living out in the boonies SUCKS!

With the economic issues I really don't see any hope for our area anytime soon either. No one wants to invest the money. I imagine one day that having high speed internet in your home will be about as common as having running water and elcetricity.

I envy you. I'd kill right about now to just have some DSL. Living out in the boonies SUCKS!

http://www.vabb.com

Its wireless and expensive but if I could, I think I'd pay for it, its better than dialup.

My area is supposed to get coverage next year.

We actually do have VABB in our area, but I'll warn you now Foxtrot that it is not worth the money at all. At times it can be great, and when you first get it, it's really fast, but as more people in your area sign on it gets unusable. My neighbor has it and he can't play any games at all without horrible lag. The signal gets lost a lot of times as well and we actually live very close to the antenna that is transmitting the signal.

The only time that VABB is even really playable is if you wake up at 5 or 6 in the morning on a Saturday. During peak hours in the evenings, the speed is worse then dial up. Verizon has been laying a bunch of new lines near us so I'm hoping it's either Fios or DSL.

I guess thats another dissapointment then. I dunno if it would be less traffic if I thought I was in a more rural area that you but doesent sound good. Does your neighbor have the package that offers the fastest speed or the other? I noticed they claim the 3rd one is supposed to be good for gaming and that is the most expensive.

I hope the DSL or FiOs thing gets here soon though, I'm still on the mailing/call list for like 5 ISPs, one of them Verizon. Been that way for like 3 or 4 years now, YouTube videos load like very slowly, downloads take me an hour while someone else gets it in a minute or so, and games are increasingly dialup un-friendly (not that they were ever meant to really perform good on dialup, but I mean Ghost Recon still runs on mine fine provided I stay away from really certain missions.), not to mention I cant purchase games from things like Stardock's Impulse or Steam. Some jackass would probably tell me to move - guess what - I dont want to and I dont have the money to anyway (atleast not to the city, a town might be ok), I think the boonies does have it's Pros and Cons though, internet being one of the cons, really its probably the biggest downside for me.

Oops and sorry, I kinda railroaded the thread, you can get back on-topic now.

Edited by Foxtrot360

Yeah Foxtrot my neighbor has the highest package that is for gaming, $90 a month or so.

I'm right in-between Fredericksburg and Richmond right off of I95.

What is odd is that even though it's rural, I'm in a community of 300+ homes and we're close to a lot of other developments around the ladysmith area.

I also feel like there are some positives though to living out here such as not having to deal with the traffic up north. The commute to Richmond is a breeze when I'm driving (I usually ride a bus that richmond runs from Fredericksburg and my employer pays for it).

After a month or so of use you'll have to give us some feedback papa as far as customer service, consistent speeds, and what not with Fios. You should also be able to run some pretty decent servers with your new speeds. Enjoy man.

Where are you from, anyways? A really rural part of VA?

Yeah, really rural.

I'm suprised a place with 300+ homes doesent have high-speed though. I'm not that from Richmond either, I mean I'm not on the outskirts, but a trip down the highway gets me there fairly easily. On the Pro side, atleast you're in or near Fredericksburg which has alot of Starbucks and various other coffee shops.

Edited by Foxtrot360