Tesco Had My Last Penny!

CrowmanUK

/Rant mode on

Popped in to the local Tesco last night, most other shops were shut and I needed a few things so I picked up my basket and filled it up, few nice things to snack on as well then proceeded to the checkout where there were around 20 people with baskets and trolleys all milling around because Tesco played a trump card, no checkout staff!

Instead there were 2 staff explaining to people how to work the 8 self service tills, a saving of 6 staff, they've been in for a few weeks now but I refuse to use them as doing so will lose jobs for somebody. You could see that nobody wanted to use the damn things and there was one bloke there in a neck brace who'd just done his weeks shopping and he was looking a bit panicked. There must have been about 5 managers I'd seen as I was walking round the shop and they were having a lovely time chatting and generally doing nothing, I was that fed up with it I dumped the basket on the floor and left, If I wanted to work a checkout I'd get a job in a shop, it looks like Tesco wants to go completely automated and have nobody working there, well heres one mug that wont be shopping there again, they've had my last penny!! Aghghghghhghg

/Rant mode off

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Tesco (although my sister told me all about it after she returned from Birmingham where she attended grad school), but do "self-service tills" mean automated cashiers? How does that work? You walk up to it, scan the barcodes of the things you put in your basket/trolley, and pay the appropriate amount? It seems to me like it relies a lot on the trust system.

Anyway, CMIIW I heard Tesco is causing classic problems usually attributed to modern retailers: They open in city centers and housing areas causing local stores to lose money and eventually close down. We have the same problem here with Carrefour, although its mostly a legislative problem. Our municipality continually fail to enforce its own zoning codes.

I blame lack of trained cashiers on these new computer controlled ones. I vote we go back to the old kind like my aunt used with the punch buttons. My Mom said she was one of the fastest and accurate cashiers around.

I can commiserate Crowman, most places here in the States do not hire enough cashiers and many places are going to automated cashiers. I really dislike them. I have used one only once and they are not really people friendly.

Its not that they dont have the cashiers mate, they've got plenty, but if they can pay 2 cashiers to oversee 8 selfservice tills its just a case of penny pinching taken to the extreme, 2 billion quid profit last year and they expect me to serve myself? Its just another corporation who couldnt give a monkeys about the customer, its all about the cash.

Its not that they dont have the cashiers mate, they've got plenty, but if they can pay 2 cashiers to oversee 8 selfservice tills its just a case of penny pinching taken to the extreme, 2 billion quid profit last year and they expect me to serve myself? Its just another corporation who couldnt give a monkeys about the customer, its all about the cash.

Hmmm, those self serve machines have been popping up over here too. I never really gave them much thought. They have one person monitoring 4 of them at a time in case the customer needs help or decides to try and slip something not paid for in the bag. I've only used them when I have a couple of items but maybe I'll skip using them in the future in favor of the workers.

Aldi and Lidl are in walking distance and their real ale "Hobgoblin" and other brews were only a quid a bottle, some of the german lagers are really nice too, none of the chemically made crap either.

Hell, you know you're old when you start discussing shopping on a games site, lord help me.