Ratsnest (development)

Phlookian

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question,

I suppose this is mainly for scripters, but anyone can join in

I'm trying to make the playing area as interesting as possible and I'm considering a crawl space...............

is this a good idea?

I know that the AI won't go there (they won't even duck under something let alone get their nose in the dirt), but I was thinking of this as a cool idea.............

At some point or other I'm going to make some kind of plant room/ boiler room etc and I was going to have an inspection cover hanging off, and an air duct that leads to another area (maybe a cool sniping perch or something) but you have to crawl to get there

what are the implications of this with regard to the game engine? ctds etc?

what if you quick save while you're down there?

Anybody come across this kind of thing before?

Thanks in advance, Phlook :thumbsup:

i think it would be a nice touch :thumbsup:

i come to think of a crawl situation in Tof's traffic map, you have to take a small crawl

to enter the laboratory from the hidden tunnel.

i like the idea of some hidden spaces/secret hideouts behind doors or such.

what happens when you quicksave i do not know as im no scripter :(

I have a question,

I suppose this is mainly for scripters, but anyone can join in

I'm trying to make the playing area as interesting as possible and I'm considering a crawl space...............

is this a good idea?

I know that the AI won't go there (they won't even duck under something let alone get their nose in the dirt), but I was thinking of this as a cool idea.............

At some point or other I'm going to make some kind of plant room/ boiler room etc and I was going to have an inspection cover hanging off, and an air duct that leads to another area (maybe a cool sniping perch or something) but you have to crawl to get there

what are the implications of this with regard to the game engine? ctds etc?

what if you quick save while you're down there?

Anybody come across this kind of thing before?

Thanks in advance, Phlook :thumbsup:

I don't think quick saving will be a problem but loading that save might be interesting. I think you spawn standing upright but I've never used quick save/load before. I would make sure you tag the walls as non-2d collidable and build invisible collision walls that are high enough to prevent the player from getting stuck.

The only other issues I might see would be how wide it is for AI pathing (friendlies). Your other option would be to export 2 versions once your finished and remove the problem area from the single player map.

You could always build a quick mock up and test it in game yourself. Just connect two rooms this way and try it.

Btw.. Interesting design here. Remember to keep your dynamic objects (windows and doors) to a minimum. I recall there being a 256 hard limit and this does include what the scripter adds.

OK, thanks for that OSO....

Yeah, I already decided not to have any working doors (if a door is open already, then you can go in, if not.........don't bother)

I'm also keeping <n>glass objects to a minimum

I do intend to have some dyn objects that will be destroyable (as objectives for those pesky scripters), I will probably tag cars as dynamic if they block a road (also so that scripters can remove them if they need to), and I'll see what else I can add once I know how many <dyn> objects I have left to mess around with

Ideally I'd like to see all cars as dynamic so that I can make them soft targets, but I don't think I'll have enough left to waste on that

The real issue will be the FPS but I'll wait for that headace a little further down the road :whistle:

Thanks again, Phlook ;)

The major issue I ran into when I tried to put a crawl space under the bridge in HH - Airport was that the player could back up into it standing up, so that his head was poking through the bottom of the bridge. This problem didn't occur back when I was working on the Shinto map and had built a little crawl space, and I think the difference was that the bridge area had a sloping floor that came up to the cieling, like this:

__

\

\

\

I think it the cieling collision failed to trigger because of the sloping floor, so you might want to plan any crawl spaces to be completely horizontal

OK, well at least someones made one, which does make me feel a little better about putting one in the map.

I'm just wary of ruining the whole thing if it causes ctd's or server side issues or something that I can't replicate when I test it.

I think I'll put one in there but not have it lead to anywhere vital, that way it's more of an easter egg type deal

Thanks for the replies ;)

Nice looking map so far Phlook.

Have a load of low poly cars if needed, like these: (50 polys average)

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p292/9M...min/uc_cars.jpg

H-Hours issue with the slope cannot be overcome, I tried it also. Doesn`t seem to matter what you tag the object above, if coming up into it on any kind of slope, you seem to walk straight through whatever the object is. There are several maps out already with small crawling spaces though, MLP_Stalkyard is a good example. Found >HERE<. Doesn`t matter where you are in any of the confined spaces, you cannot stand up. You need to use grenades to blow the ventilation grills off first.

Oso

I don't think quick saving will be a problem but loading that save might be interesting. I think you spawn standing upright but I've never used quick save/load before.

If you are crouched in a confined space and quick save. It doesn`t matter where you are, or what stance you are when you reload the save point. You will enter in the same stance you had when quick saving. :thumbsup:

Actually spawning into the area via a scripted spawn point etc, this would have you standing up through the object. Pretty obvious solution, don`t put spawn points in them.

Only issue is the AI would have to be scripted with the stance of crouched or prone, if they are to go into the areas.

This actor is within 1M of confined_01

cancel plans / execute plan of stance crouched or crouched and set / movement advance.

No possible way to cause a CTD.

:D

• 2 weeks later...

re the crawl space - the AI couldnt work out how to get through it - I had to switch players to take them through one by one. but thats a minor issue and i say build it.

@ H-Hour where was the crawl space? I dont't remember that when I built the Golden Triangle tourney mod. Great map btw - was a spectacular finishing map. No hard feelings but the Ghosts blew Shinto up in the end... ;)

@ H-Hour where was the crawl space? I dont't remember that when I built the Golden Triangle tourney mod. Great map btw - was a spectacular finishing map. No hard feelings but the Ghosts blew Shinto up in the end... ;)

It never made it into Oso's final release. If you remember, the water ran from the little pond outside into the large indoor room, and then underneath the floor in a little tunnel. I had planned to have that be a crawl space that would allow the player to enter and exit through that tunnel, but Oso put a grate over it in the final release. The AI would have had a lot of trouble anyway.

For what it's worth, Oso also did just about everything on that map, including rebuilding a lot of the structural geometry of the building itself. What I passed to him to finish was just the exterior and interior walls, floors and windows, and the little courtyard. He did everything else, which was a lot.

It never made it into Oso's final release. If you remember, the water ran from the little pond outside into the large indoor room, and then underneath the floor in a little tunnel. I had planned to have that be a crawl space that would allow the player to enter and exit through that tunnel, but Oso put a grate over it in the final release. The AI would have had a lot of trouble anyway.

For what it's worth, Oso also did just about everything on that map, including rebuilding a lot of the structural geometry of the building itself. What I passed to him to finish was just the exterior and interior walls, floors and windows, and the little courtyard. He did everything else, which was a lot.

I had to axe the idea because of portal issues. One of the transitions was directly below the transition on the top level. This is a big no-no and can cause all sorts of problems with players and the AI. I also decided that it was most likely a death trap for anyone that wanted to set up camp in there anyways.

• 10 months later...

OK, well it's been a long while since I've revisited this thread (or this map)

Most of the work you see in the following images was done before the summer, in truth I just haven't had the time to do any modding at all for the last 6 months.

However, here goes:

Mission insertion docks area (with a big nod towards the GR Docks mission):

RatsnestTeaserNew01.jpg

RatsnestTeaserNew02.jpg

RatsnestTeaserNew03.jpg

RatsnestTeaserNew04.jpg

RatsnestTeaserNew05.jpg

The bad guys base (well, one of them):

RatsnestTeaserNew06.jpg

RatsnestTeaserNew07.jpg

RatsnestTeaserNew08.jpg

The Tower block sniper post:

RatsnestTeaserNew09.jpg

RatsnestTeaserNew10.jpg

RatsnestTeaserNew11.jpg

Gas holder area (under construction):

RatsnestTeaserNew12.jpg

Those of you who have read my CTD thread will know that I'm having a few difficulties with this map but am assuming here that things are progressing.

This map is approximately half way finished, I probably won't be including all the things I had planned for it (due to time constraints)

However, it should be a pretty good environment for firefights & sniper/ counter-sniper type missions

Please note that I've taken these screen shots carefully (to avoid the great big holes in the floor), this map is in no way as finished as these images suggest or playable in any way (please be patient) ;)

:D