Ratsnest (development)

Phlookian

I know I'm going to regret starting this thread at this early stage (as I'm bound to get the usual suspects asking for a release date every 5 minutes.........you know who you are :D )

Oh well, here goes.

As my P2 duties are probably fnished now I've started work on a new map (probably called "Rats nest" unless there's already a map out there by that name).

This is a long term project for me as I have very little spare time to put into this and I am putting a lot of detail into it. (in fact we are looking at MONTHS here people, I don't care how long it takes as long as it rocks)

The map is Urban, within the general feel of the origmiss campaign and with the first priority towards MP/ adversarial gameplay (although I intend to coerce a scripter or two to make an SP/Co-op mission or two)

For those of you all Graw'd out and not interested in Urban stuff...........this will be a map with a difference.

I intend to make every building accessable in some way, with either one or more accessable rooms or access to a roof area for a sniper perch. In fact, some building roofs will be accessable from other roofs, in the outer areas of the map.

The problem is I don't play MP (in fact I usually play 3dsMax these days, so my abilities would be laughable to any clans out there). So if this thing is going to work, I'm going to need help.

1. Any information you can give me that will be a help in any way, please share it (even if it seems obvious to you, it may not to me)

2. This is a map under construction, so I'd rather build it right first time, rather than find that the gameplay sucks and needs major changes later

3. I may need a friendly clan to test it out for me, or even take a run around it in its semi finished stages, and make suggestions.

Layout: I'm working from the centre out, The "central zone" is an open parking lot surrounded by buildings. Most of these buildings will have high sniper perches (which will be in range of each other, so you can counter snipe)

I hope to get some pics uploaded once I get a few things finished

Any feedback appreciated

Many thanks, Phlook :thumbsup:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always wished for a map where every building could be entered.

I never thought too much about rooftops but that would be nice too.

I don't play much TvT [i don't count COD4 as it is total mayhem]

but make both sides of the map where either does not give a team a distinct advantage. That is certainly easier said then done.

Sounds very ambitious. I hope the GR engine can handle all that.

When's it due out? ;)

Thanks for the replies guys (and I'll be taking you up on those scripting offers)

And on to a few points:

I always wished for a map where every building could be entered.

I never thought too much about rooftops but that would be nice too.

The rooftops idea is something I've been wanting to try for a while now (and basically making as many interesting routes and shooting perches as I can think of)

but make both sides of the map where either does not give a team a distinct advantage. That is certainly easier said then done.

This line puzzles me.......two sides? I thought TVT was 4 corners (could someone please explain that to me, I'm a long way from coming up with ideas for the four team bases but map structure should be based around playability)

Sounds very ambitious. I hope the GR engine can handle all that.

My map for P2 should crash the game, it is twice the size and more detailed and with more trees than any two RSE maps combined. (aside from a few animation issues) it has been pretty stable and the fps is acceptable (even on my old PC). I learned quite a lot making it and I'm sure I can accomplish this new one, but its structure will need careful planning

Mig: Don't worry, we both know I'm on call if you need me. This is the "Fishing Village" idea we talked about. I just realised that the RSE textures for cityscapes were more interesting and varied and I'm trying to use as many of them as i can (so it grew into a city instead)

I am trying to base the structure on TVT but when its taken more shape I'll see what I can do add a few objective based items to help with mission scripting

Thanks again, Phlook ;)

This line puzzles me.......two sides? I thought TVT was 4 corners (could someone please explain that to me, I'm a long way from coming up with ideas for the four team bases but map structure should be based around playability)

I guess I was thinking of COD4 more then GR when I suggested making each side of the map where one team did not have a distinct advantage.

As you say there are the four bases to consider when making a map for GR. Maybe not to worry too much as the postion of the bases can always be tweaked and adjusted. And who knows how the server will choose which bases to use.

Good luck, I know that you are more then capable. :thumbsup:

My map for P2 should crash the game, it is twice the size and more detailed and with more trees than any two RSE maps combined. (aside from a few animation issues) it has been pretty stable and the fps is acceptable (even on my old PC). I learned quite a lot making it and I'm sure I can accomplish this new one, but its structure will need careful planning

Mig: Don't worry, we both know I'm on call if you need me. This is the "Fishing Village" idea we talked about. I just realised that the RSE textures for cityscapes were more interesting and varied and I'm trying to use as many of them as i can (so it grew into a city instead)

vey large and complex map indeed...

yea the ole Fishing Village catwalk idea eh..I still mourn that South American river trip...

I could not help but laugh when I saw that..I mean does P2 dev ever actually end??? I spent part of yesterday reminding myself of what I need to get done now...I'm thinking of changing the name to Tom Clancy's Twilight Zone..! and now I venture off into modding needs for which I know nothing...

bottom line is that I'm also available for whatever needs Ratsnest will have of me...certainly an SP/COOP script or two or.. 'I see dead snipers...and ghosts flitting past the windows....'

mig :ph34r:

With only a very smalll handful of people playing GR online these days.

My point of view, I cannot remember the last time I ever saw a server running more than 2 teams at the same time. There are 2 - 3 servers out there I find on xfire and other means that do get populated regular though playing T v T. Unable to remember the last time any 1 of those ran antyhing other than standard mods, or HX5 and some dodgy mod.

All servers always seem to run with the same default teams also. Base 0 = Blue / Base 1 = Red. Having the 2 extra team bases (green / gold) does allow you to change the server and play again with a different spawn point, but as said, is very little, if ever anymore, used.

So If you are building the map suitable for T v T, I would suggest concentrating on the 2 main spawn areas at either corner of map. Both teams should reach the Central area at the same time if uninterupted. Although is always a nice touch to have it fully available.

Nothing wrong with placing Base0 and Base2 in 1 corner, then Base1 and Base3 in the other also. ;)

For me, as you well know, just starting to get a whole grip on building maps, But I have no interest in T v T abilities, neither do any of the ususal guys I have gamed with over the last few years. With that, we are concentrating on building a map or 2, for co-op/sp use only now.

We played a few on the Blue Ivan map I have in the 9MS mod on Sunday evening. Couple of guys not seen it before, big thumbsup from them. Sniper in the high cave that overlooks the map finds new victims yet again!

:D

OK Tinker, thanks for that (see I really don't know much about this stuff). I chose TVT to give the map the widest possible audience (as a coop mission can be played on any decent map).

I guess I'll still aim the way I'm going, and see how things develop.

Although things are far from ready, I guess I could try a few of those teaser Shots:

I'm working from the centre out. The middle of the map is an open car park (which will have parked cars, trees, bushes, ticket machines etc..........so use your imagination)

RatsnestTeaser02.jpg

RatsnestTeaser10.jpg

I've finished the basic structure of a few of the surrounding buildings, most of which feature high sniper perches:

RatsnestTeaser09.jpg

RatsnestTeaser08.jpg

RatsnestTeaser06.jpg

RatsnestTeaser05.jpg

RatsnestTeaser01.jpg

Some of the roads have pedestrian tunnels to escape those snipers:

RatsnestTeaser03.jpg

RatsnestTeaser04.jpg

And I've finished a few of those enterable rooms:

RatsnestTeaser07.jpg

RatsnestTeaser12.jpg

RatsnestTeaser11.jpg

RatsnestTeaser14.jpg

With so many accessable roofs thios is going to be a map of staircases:

RatsnestTeaser13.jpg

OK, that's where we're at right now.

Thanks for the input from everyone :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys, thanks for the support.................... :D

Of course this doesn't put me under any pressure at all to deliver :blink:

@Lighty....... Maybe you might know someone who could write a sniper type mission for this thing :whistle:

Oh, I have one more favour to ask (are there any Russian speakers in the house?)

I've been adding russian signs and graffitti to my textures (I've decided this is a Russian town of some kind) and I'm using babelfish as a translator. If you don't want your language stomped all over by my obvious ignorance, maybe you'd be so kind as to proofread for me

Thanks in advance, Phlook :thumbsup:

Here are some of those phrases and signs:

These are from the building that is under construction (a supermarket in a town under marshal law........so it has empty shelves and the local people are asking why?)

RatsnestSign02.jpg

RatsnestSign03.jpg

RatsnestSign01.jpg

More from the same building but not actually added yet:

RatsnestSign05.jpg

RatsnestSign06.jpg

This is a British bag of building plaster (from the little building site i've already previewed, I was going to rename it as: один гип�олит пальто

or would: гип�олит здани� be better?

RatsnestSign04.jpg

(Or maybe this British building plaster is a really hot item on the black market over there)

Thanks again, Phlook :thumbsup:

actually thinking on a bigger scale to a 2011 - 10 years of GR mod.

this map would certainly fit the bill.

The Jury's out on this one........ while I have no problem adding my map to a larger mod, 2011 is a long way off....

Even I might finish a map before then :P

Hell, GR 4 might even be released :rofl:

If the few modders left amongst us keep our cards hidden for the next 2 or 3 years there may only be the two of us left to DL the mod.

If 2011 is your release date, I'm sure I can release this one and have another one done for your mod ready for its inclusion

Of course I'm open to suggestions (and bribery) so I'll go with the majority vote, but it'll have to be a compelling arguement as I've spent time (as I'm sure we all have) making content that just gets left gathering dust somewhere as a project falls apart

And this urban map is something I've been wanting to work on (and release to the community) for some time

It does sound like an ambitious project though :thumbsup:

RatsnestSign05.jpg

Russian is not one of the languages that I speak, but I will tell you now that the above sign translates to 'supermarket' in English. I translated it without using a translator etc, seriously - there is a pattern, an easy way of working it out; Each language follows its own algorhythm, yet there are connections (ex: 'sk' in Norse languages is 'sh' in English, which is 'sch' in Germanic languages (ex: Dansk, Danish Dänisch respectively - then again, English IS a Germanic language as are the Norse languages.)) Anyone else see the similarity between the Russian cyrillic word for supermarket and the English word?

Nice map by the way.

Edited by WytchDokta

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, well it's been a month since my last batch of pics (and it seems like a slow night) so I thought I'd post some more up.

I've been at this thing pretty hard over the holiday period (so here's the progress so far):

I did a bit of set dressing to the rooms I already made (chairs & tables etc)

RatsnestTeaser28.jpg

RatsnestTeaser29.jpg

RatsnestTeaser30.jpg

(looks like there's been a bit of a domestic in this one :brucelee: )

RatsnestTeaser31.jpg

(and the Russian Mafia are using this one as a storehouse ;) )

RatsnestTeaser32.jpg

I've also managed to complete 2 buildings, the first of these is my supermarket:

RatsnestTeaser27.jpg

RatsnestTeaser26.jpg

As mentioned before, the shelves are empty as the town is under marshal law

RatsnestTeaser25.jpg

RatsnestTeaser24.jpg

and there are lots of accessable areas and places to hide in and snipe from:

RatsnestTeaser20.jpg

RatsnestTeaser21.jpg

RatsnestTeaser22.jpg

RatsnestTeaser23.jpg

I've also made a warehouse with a gantry crane:

RatsnestTeaser17.jpg

RatsnestTeaser33.jpg

RatsnestTeaser15.jpg

RatsnestTeaser16.jpg

Of course things are bound to slow down a little now that the holiday's over, but as you can see, we're moving forward :thumbsup: