Far Cry Let Down 2

BS PALADIN

The only reason this game is a let down is because the single player and map editor is so good. Then you get to the MP and you think ######. The most generic flawed multiplayer i have seen in a long time. 5-8 bullets to kill someone. ###### gametypes. Cant change the respawns number. Horrible affari made even more annoying by the great map editor, which you can create almost anything on. From massive forest maps to tiny urban maps. What a shame. They could patch it but UBI and patching dont go well together.

meh, your post moderation always weeds out my fun posts.

Palidin; or anyone, really -- What is wrong with 5-8 bullets to kill someone?

Like, we all know what's right with 1hitkill games, considering we're all fans of GR, but how exactly is it a flaw if the game is different?

Like, i dont play racing games and say 'damn, i wish you could sneak up on the other drivers and shoot them!'

why do you play farcry 2 and wish enemies died in one it? it's just not that kind of game. I'm not trolling or anything, this is a serious question.

Because SUP Far Cry 2 was advertised as a realistic game set in Africa. They hyped the realism, from the fire prognation to the wildlife to the AI to the weather. Now I'm a firm believer that multiplayer should be a continuation of the single player gameplay. Thats what the best online shooters do. GOW 2, HALO 2 and [GR] did it. I have no problem with multiple hits to kill but not when there is no reason in a realism sense. None of the players have shields or body armour or Halo style shields. So in that sense the gameplay is incredibly flawed. Plus the hyper quick regeneration ( that even fdaster than a HALO shield recharge ) means that you can shoot a guy 6 times, he runs around a house and comes back with full health.

Even you SUP can't argue that is a good gameplay mechanics considering the nature of the campaign. But you probably will.

Well honestly i never saw the game advertised as realistic.

They said it would be immersive and kindof 'movie realistic' -- stuff would look real, there'd be tons of cause and effect (fire spreading, the wounds system, etc) but never once did i get the impression it was anything but an action shooter.

I definitely think a tactical shooter in a huge, open area would be a good idea, Operation Flashpoint remains my favorite game of all time. I just had no such expectations from FC2 -- that said, i didn't follow the hype all too closely, did they explicitly advertise realistic/tactical gameplay and me miss it?

I kind of turned a blind eye to this game for some time... I'll see a screenshot and say wow thats cool, editor is pretty similare, dynamic fire nice idea, cryengine heavily modified cool....

But...I don't recall it either sup. In any case what you get these days with most shooters is 3-6hits to kills... so I wouldn't be surprised.

Problem is to many developers now are trying to make games feel more like hollywood movies instead of recreating reality.

Personally if your going to make a shooter (War Combat stuff ) it should make you want to blow some thing up, feel sick, have an adrenalin rush and cry at the same time.

Edited by pz3

cryengine heavily modified cool

FC2 uses the Dunia Engine by the way..

The game looks amazing, the editor really is that simple, however for my money, everything else after that falls short. SO many opportunities to get it right, even the little things.. the story fails, gameplay is boringly familiar and unimaginative... perhaps UBI will use this engine now that it's developed and put some teeth into a plot, or an idea, but FC2 = FAIL

I see more and more people complaining about games by Ubi. Sure, it's small potatoes on the forums, but the numbers are increasing nonetheless. From what I am reading, recent Ubi games all lack imagination, get boring pretty fast and have a multitude of problems and this is across all platforms. It appears that the games that are made by outside developers that Ubi publishes for (not many left from what I see either) are the only ones that have what gamers really want from a game and most of them are actually niche titles (flight sims mind you).

I'm with you Whisper. Ubi really should wake up and smell the coffee.

WK, in 06-07 ubisoft saw 24% growth. In 07-08 they saw 50+%. So far this fiscal year, halfway through, they're already showing 38% growth (as reported on the front page here).

Their business model works. Criticize the quality of their games all you like -- that's subjective. When you say they need to wake up and smell the coffee you're abandoning logic or reason.

Watch all the dev diarys of the devs travelling to africa to make sure the game was as realistic as possible.

I think you're misunderstanding (and perhaps the marketing department is misleading, although i sincerely think they weren't trying to deceive) what they meant by 'realistic'. believable, sure -- realistic artwork, realistic cause and effect in combat, etc etc -- realistic in the sense an action movie can be.

But have you seen a single gameplay video since it was announced? it's an action shooter, it always has been.

Edit: I guess to elaborate what i'm trying to say is that the average gamer is getting what they want when people say fc2 is 'realistic'. In fact i've heard people (individuals, not advertisers) call it just that. The guns look real, they make gun sounds, it's believable and they can forget their stress and have fun. That's what most people want.

Marketing aims for that average audience. Obviously if you're a very specific or niche crowd you shouldn't take it quite as seriously.

Like, when a dishwasher soap is advertised as 'all the cleaning power you need!' do people working in chemical plants get up in arms? Not all games are like ghost recon 1. In fact very few are.

Really few people make turn based strategy games anymore either, but you don't see people buying RTSes and then moaning on forums that they're a letdown because everything happens at once, do you? If you dont like action shooters, quit buying action shooters. If enough people feel your way maybe somebody with a budget will finally make a big budget tactical shooter.

If you dont know what kind of game something is, watch some videos online. Being confused about fc2 is pretty hard considering the wealth of videos and press releases to draw from.

Their business model works. Criticize the quality of their games all you like -- that's subjective. When you say they need to wake up and smell the coffee you're abandoning logic or reason.

It is not "their" business model, it is "the" business model. That is how games are made nowadays and the casual gamers (which are by far the most) support all this, because all they want is to play games, no matter if they are bad or good, they just want to play games and they do.

If most gamers would be nitpicky hardcore gamers, some of the big companies would have been ruined pretty fast.

I think im over all happy with the game. Mostly compared to the old FC where it was a full clip or more to kill someone Halo style. Hated it, but i loved the map editor. FC2 is alot more COD4 in the amount to kill someone than the old one with the Halo killing BS. Sure it takes afew hits to kill someone in FC2, however if your aim is good you can drop them very fast just like in COD4. I can kill 2 to 3 people before i need to reload most the time usen the AK. It may not be GR with one hit kills, but for what it is its a great game and very fun! I would love to have it more like GR yet compared to the old FC this is a blessing being more like COD4. Yet than again i could be just happy with it only becuase i wasn't expecting much other than being better than the first. And so far i think it gets all A's in my book on doing just that.

I'd have to agree, I find the gun & bullet mechanics ok, everyone has the same. The level 3 sniper rifle can be a one shot one kill, the AK is good & the M249 is ,well ok but the ammo is great... all in all it's a game, never sold ad a simulator only as a game.

I here our own guys moan sometimes and I have to drop back because it's disappointing how some thing they are so good and find out when run and gun does not work, they are poor. I play MP & Snipe, AK & M249, I use VOICE, COVER & TEAM WORK.... I love it... not a [GR] but it never was...

COD was manic, this is on bigger maps and feels less claustrophobic, editor is a dream and custom maps make for community interaction. I think their editor is in the top 10 of editors.

only my opinion. :thumbsup:

Snipers are just that, Snipers, one shot, one kill or move and relocate.

Apparently there's some sort of major league bug at about 65% completion that freezes the game for some X360 users.

Read here.

Kind reinforces the fact that the old argument about consoles versions being more reliable and "just work" because the developer knows exactly what he is programming for, out of the water.

That old chestnut aside, and assuming Ubisoft put out a fix (assuming one is required and it's not a HW issue), how do unconnected customers not on Xlive get the fix, out of curiosity?

There are a number of threads on the Ubi forums about getting stuck at a percentage of completion on some maps. I keep seeing 27% pop up.

As far as those no connected to XBox Live, I have no idea how they would get the fix unless it was released on a demo disk for a magazine.

:shakes head:

Apparently there's some sort of major league bug at about 65% completion that freezes the game for some X360 users.

Read here.

Kind reinforces the fact that the old argument about consoles versions being more reliable and "just work" because the developer knows exactly what he is programming for, out of the water.

That old chestnut aside, and assuming Ubisoft put out a fix (assuming one is required and it's not a HW issue), how do unconnected customers not on Xlive get the fix, out of curiosity?

How do PC users without the internet get the fix?

It sucks, but they don't.

Also, the 'it just works' has never really had anything to do with bugs or glitches, that's up to q&a.

To illustrate where it's a good thing:

A friend of mine with a somewhat dated pc has been playing farcry 2. Every time he's near fire in the game his framerate drops to 1-2. Some shader or draw call or something really doesn't agree with his hardware. So he can't use molotovs and has to avoid explosions at all costs. His computer runs fallout3, another modern game, just fine.

I got it on xbox, framerate never moves. Fixed hardware platforms are a wonderful thing.

That said, if ubisoft q&a let a game breaking bug slip through, we're both equally screwed. And if he had the money on a great PC he could run the game on higher settings. Both sides have advantages and disadvantages.

...and assuming Ubisoft put out a fix (assuming one is required and it's not a HW issue), how do unconnected customers not on Xlive get the fix, out of curiosity?

How do PC users without the internet get the fix?

Ah fair point, I was making an assumption that everybody with a PC was online, but the same was not necessarily true for console owners as the majority of console purchases are the demographic that cannot afford a computer, or at least a gaming rig and therefore a percentage probably did not have an existing internet wired household.

Anyway, I'll give you that one :pirate:

Everyone playing the PC version has to have an internet connection due to the game needing to activate for those who have a legal copy. Those who are playing the PC version can download the patch, once released. Sorry Sup, you actually lose that one.

I wonder if that is one of those "intentional" bugs Ubi left in for those who pirated the game to find?

... Wait.

If you dont have the internet and a PC version you cannot play.

If you do have the 360 version but no internet, you can probably play, and at least play 60% of the game.

????

Console wins again! (seriously, ubisoft requires online activation? That blows)