Need Help With Scripting

Hi, I am attempting to learn mission scripting using Wolfsongs' tutorial, "Scripting for Beginners". That's me. :blush: I created the map in the editor with some buildings. (Loads ok). Placed a location and human group. The world.xml updated fine. I then created the script in mission.xml and updated the path in worldinfo.xml. Every thing loads fine. When I use the spawn player key, he enters the map. When he walks into the trigger area, the enemy group does "not" appear.

I triple checked everything; spelling, naming & closing tags. I can't seem to find the error. :wall: Or am I wrong in my assumptiom of using the spawn player to test the trigger in the editor? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely, OleGreyGhost.

Or am I wrong in my assumptiom of using the spawn player to test the trigger in the editor? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely, OleGreyGhost.

Firstly, congratulations on having a go at making a coop mission!

I'll try and help out as much as I can.

re. the above, yes, your assumption is wrong. You only use the player spawn in the map (L and F8) to test things like the height of objects and barriers. It does not execute the mission.xml.

You need to run the game to do that.

Also, assume you have seen the wiki I am creating at graw2.pbwiki.com? It might be work checking out in parallel with wolfsong's tutorial.

Dav

Davros,

Thanks for your quick response. Now I see I read too much into the role of the player spawn. This stuff is like a foreign language. This is going to be a long, hopefully fun, slow process. I am aware of the wiki and have been looking over the info. It is very well done.

So far most of my questions were explained in previous posts. But I am sure I'll be back with others.

Sincerely, OleGreyGhost

No problems...it is just like a foreign language. As you said, take it slowly and make regular backups so you can roll back to a known, working version if it all goes south. That helps keep it fun!

Also, suggest you include a load of comments in the script, even if it's obvious what the commands do. Help you cement the knowledge and also helps others learn when they read your scripting.

Dav.