New Ogr Map: Dragonfly

Palyarmerc

It went through so many changes...using your imagination is one thing, but with limited set pieces (8 buildings?), being original isn't easy.

There's some good sniping to be had both approaching Zulu and defending it.

It's a smallish (6Mb) Shanty Town 'Oasis' map, enspired by der Engpass

RAR FILE

BUNDLE FILE

Scripters (Fishmonger, 'cos I know you know what you like in a map :P ) are welcome to modify the Enemy AI on this map and re-release as say dragonfly80 (or some other suffix-map-re-naming of your choice)

I hope there isn't a map out there already called dragonfly - I did do a quick search... :whistle:

Hope you all like it... :thumbsup:

I'll take a peek - always looking for new maps I didn't have to make myself :-)

hope you don't mind that I fixed your last map - the 1.1 version of it crashed on load for everyone who tried. I only renamed folders and files to make it all match up and renamed the bundle and map title to pollingcenterOGR.bundle. Everything else unchanged, but with the unique name it won't get confused with your releases.

as for 8 buildings? what set are you working with? There's a pulldown for statics for variations on each, too - check it out. Plus, there's some buildings in the props you can mix in to add some variation.

I only renamed folders and files to make it all match up and renamed the bundle and map title to pollingcenterOGR.bundle.

Sure thing, so long as the final version is the one hosted here at GR.net we can play around with it as much as we like (it was a little rushed) Don't want to put somebody else off doing a better re-make either :rocky:

There's a pulldown for statics for variations on each, too - check it out.

Damn, I knew there was one for props - I'll check that out.

I was exaggerting of course, but the number of statics (buildings) is still small, would be nice to combine Shanty & Historical and City & Industrial for better looking custom maps though.

Thanks Rocky for taking care of the file description and adding it to the database :thumbsup:

I was exaggerting of course, but the number of statics (buildings) is still small, would be nice to combine Shanty & Historical and City & Industrial for better looking custom maps though.

absolutely no problem with that. Just change the texture_scope.xml in the work folder to the next set and add those pieces. Then when you export just use one of the sets, doesn't really matter. hack the texture_scope.xml to include all the sets you used and rebundle. Bingo.

some players with 256mb video cards may have problems with those maps, though, but I have frequently used 2 sets. Retirement party even uses three of them, I think.

Just change the texture_scope.xml in the work folder to the next set and add those pieces.

Ah, now I understand it from your tutorial; just as you said - the editor can only use one set at a time ( I tried it and expected to see both sets of statics) - perfect, Thanks Fish :santa:

the editor can handle more then 1 layer set at a time, even stuff what isnt in the layers :P

just edit the description.xml in the work folder befor you start the editor.

look for this line <set value="industrial"/> (depending on what layer you use) and change it to this <set value=""/>

that will enable all statics at once.

...then it just keeps getting better :)

Thanks AmEyeBlind, I'll give that a shot too :thumbsup:

Yeah, that works, but as Fishmonger pointed out it can be unstable, and using that method can result in a crash if you select certain statics (annoying if you have just placed a load of objects) - (haven't got to export yet, to establish any other issues with that), but otherwise it works good. :rocky:

Edited by Palyarmerc

...then it just keeps getting better :)

Thanks AmEyeBlind, I'll give that a shot too :thumbsup:

Yeah, that works, but as Fishmonger pointed out it can be unstable, and using that method can result in a crash if you select certain statics (annoying if you have just placed a load of objects) - (haven't got to export yet, to establish any other issues with that), but otherwise it works good. :rocky:

if you put some bogus term in there or nothing as ameyeblind suggested, you get all statics, however, there are a lot of statics you don't want to use, plus it's a hassle to scroll through the long list all day long if you only want to use a subset. The nice thing about having all statics enabled is that it gives you acccess to the 3D landscape statics without having to go into the xml to copy that from another map, but then that's usually the first thing you'd do and then go from there with a subset of statics.

It's all quite flexible. I wished I could edit my props list, though, removing all the junk you'll never use

• 2 weeks later...

new, less deadly version of the map here

dragonfly_fish

changes were all done in xml - MGs are now random (40-50% chance of spawning), plus half of them are mk19's.

But.. there may be one more update to this:

What we found out last night is that if you hug the far west edge of the map, you bypass most opponents between the choke point with the second tank and zulu. I may re-open the map and do something about that. It was somewhat funny to be 50 meters from zulu and then have the final defenses spawn and all panhards zoom right past you with no intention to stop and fight you - they drove to an area of the map we had long passed.

I think all I need to do is change some of the trigger area coordinates, or perhaps add one more group and trigger to that west flank to at least balance that route with the central approach. Right now you can get to zulu with about 35 kills.

but this will be no sooner than a week from now - busy with my own map right now

It was somewhat funny to be 50 meters from zulu and then have the final defenses spawn and all panhards zoom right past you with no intention to stop and fight you - they drove to an area of the map we had long passed.

Maybe I was being a bit too intellectual on that.

The idea came from playing online in so many servers that had respawn as standard. Players killed and returning from alpha would then have a 'screw-you-respawners' surprise.

What was really supposed to happen was for the player (that is, the player who does not engage the enemy head on evey time they appear up ahead - this aint space invaders) was to see the enemy arrive, hide, hunker down, re-group, and regain control.

Didn't notice any holes in the trigger zone, but I did fail to script the last tango's to fall back to Zulu, from the rear, so it fails a bit.

I never did make full use of the covered building foundations either, the plan originally (I started the map like it), was to have all ghosts in the tunnels and have enemy walking around above - to add some suspense. I didn't funnel the ghosts down there in the end because it would have been too contrived.

:rolleyes:

well, last night we played it again and those two smartypants who found the route far west were not online, and since all of us dead guys the night before didn't pay attention, we actually could not replicate their route to zul. Based on that, well, we got our asses kicked once we got around the tank (we failed to destroy).

I assume the other guys found a way out in the open grass field on the west side to get back into the playing area. Not a big deal. Obviously, those who actually want a challenge, won't pick that route :D

I doubt the AI can walk on top of the covered building foundation (the fences at least). My cholesterol hill map crashed badly as long as I had a MG sitting on one of those, but AI can actually stand on it, just not move (cause you can't get an AI graph on it).

You can destroy the tank fore and aft, and even, if you're quick, at the top of the steps from behind (it has a blind spot when you stand in front of the metal balcony thing) You can also get thru to the first .50 cal from behind the yellow van (shoot the boxes)

The triggers are indeed faulty, if you bypass the construction site corner the next intended wave of AI do not spawn.

Then, keeping left, you can get the drop on the last AI and get to zulu easy.

I will take note of your dislike for the .50 cals and use only the MK19 in future :thumbsup:

Played it again, and am impressed at my first real attempt at a map, it's short 'n sweet, but is not too bad.

Shame about the shanty fences as walkways, took me bloody ages :P