Ghost Recon.net Forums

Some Tutorial For "cooperative"?

Hi Galor.

I'd be happy to contribute...Infact it's great timing because I am just now helping out another new-modder create a coop game.

I did suggest that we create a wiki to allow collaboration on creating this, but was resoundingly spanked by the admin's (no offence admin's but that's what happened). Rocky did say he'd look into it, but nothing has happened as far as I know.

The issue is that we all have a little piece of the information and (to date) no one is prepared to sit down and type it all up....hence the idea of a wiki that we can all contribute to and shape up over time.

So, I have started a wiki at GRAW2 coop wiki

Calling all coop creators - PM me your e-mail address if you'd like to contribute and I'll add you to the editor list. The first step will be to get a format for the wiki.

The beat part about this will be that we can all do a small bit to contribute to the development of a guide over time, no one needs to write the whole thing on thier own! A true community effort.

For those who do not know what a wiki is, think of it as a public blackboard where we can all contribute our little bit to make something big for the good of all mankind :)

The goal will be to create the guide on the wiki and then move it into ghostrecon.net (assuming admin's agree) once it is at a state that people can use.

Dav.

It's a great idea ^_^

There are many elements that could be changed, and not only in the cooperative mode, but even in the development of new maps.

As an example, yesterday I played for the first time the cooperative Arroyo, and I thought it was going to change dramatically as the intensity of light, the final blast me a lot of fun .... :o

To learn more things, it could create maps no longer just thinking about the online multiplayer, but in cooperative mode :thumbsup:

Excellent so pm me your email address folks and let's get to it.

Have updated the wiki with an example table of contents...pls. check it out and provide feedback...or better still, register to become a contributor!

Edited by davros

Awesome!!!

Thank you Dav for taking the time to do this. It will definately help me out and give me some motivation to get back into trying to create COOP missions.

Hey guys. I have added a video (on extracting a bundle) and a bit more content to the wiki...

Can you take a look and let me know if it's heading in the right direction?

Now that I have the basics worked out, I intend to add a heap more content as videos....after all, they are worth a thousand words.

Again, feel free to update as you see fit.

Dav.

Thanks matey...good to hear from you.

That was mainly a test to make sure all the bits came together properly...seems they do :) especially proud of the dalek watermark..sad isn't it!

So what video should I do next? I was thinking of the making the following video's as a start...

How to unbundle - Done

Editing context.xml to point to the local folder

Setting up folders and files to make a custom mission - Done

10 quick steps to getting a custom mission to appear in the map list - Done

Making AI paths- Done

Placing a Mexican and setting paths- Done (added second video)

Placing snipers - a way to avoid the editor crashing- Done

Introduction to vehicles - Done

Creating a batch file to run the editor - Done

Version control of missions

Manually changing the world.xml as an alternative to using the map editor.

Introduction to triggers and events - (unlikely suit be a video - have incl. written instructions).

Common errors in scripting and how to avoid them.

????

Dav.

Edited by davros

Videos are nice as a supplement to written instructions.

If I am trying to learn a procedure that is very detailed it is helpful to be able to "check off" the tasks that are complete. With a video it might be necessary to watch it over and over to get all the steps.

If the video explains all the steps in the written instructions that is the best for me.

Another comment about videos... some time ago some one (his name escapes me that the moment... like most stuff does!) who made some awesome videos showing how to actually make maps. They are great. What would make them even more great would be to chop them up into small pieces. Keep the full one, but also break them down. Makes it easier to reviews parts that might be more confusing. There is a lot of info in those videos.

Just my two cents. Or yen. Or dinars.

Good thoughts AJ...very true about the different ways people learn and the risk of vid's having too much info. to absorb.

I have an idea....:whistle: , you could watch the video, and type up the instructions and add it to the wiki to go along with the video :yes: After all, that is the point of a wiki...hint hint.

Dav.

I'll give it a try. This assumes, of course, that I understand what the video is trying to show.

And I guess if I can't figure it out, then we will know if the video needs to changed.

Do keep in mind that I am only about one step up from being a total noob at this.

G'day folks.

Incase you missed the link to the wiki...it's http://graw2.pbwiki.com/

Have added step by step instructions on how to create a coop misison in ~15 minutes :yes: .

I've also adda a video which demonstrates just how easily you can create a (basic) coop mission from a modder's map. It's a 17 minute video from download of the map to running it as a coop mission in graw2, and is not meant to be instructional...but rater to show that it's not that hard to do if you follow the steps.

It's only got two mexicans on it...but hey, I never said it was a complex mission! It uses a "template" for a mission.xml script which will work with any map.

So, that's the basics mostly covered...now on to more specific topics.

Hope you like it an that it inspires a few more people to have a go.

Anr remember, it's a wiki...so you are supposed to contribute too...hint hint :whistle:

Dav.

Edited by davros

i was wondering if it will show how to take a map that is already made and tweak it a bit like one of the stock maps or not?

:hmm:

I'll look into it. In principle it's the same process...

Do you mean for a GRIN map or one that a modder has made?

Dav,

The video in making a coop mission map was awesome! Now I am going to have to experiment with it. I love the idea of the Wiki that you put together. Brings truth to the quote, "You can sell a fish that you catch with a net to a man, or you can teach a man to fish with the net."

Great job!!!

Thanks Viper, now I just need to get someone else to contribute something and we have a wiki...else it'll turn into my web blog soon :)

This is the main reason I have not had time to update and release V2 of compound...that and setting up to create a coop with BustHip (but that did not come off as he's busy at the moment)....and that little thing called work and family.

Cheers,

Dav.

PS...what are you doing up at this hour anyway!

Edited by davros

yeah the grin maps :thumbsup: are the maps i was talkin bout

Ok. Will do....I am doing a few more videos now.

Zero_G, let's have a go at modding the coop_quarry [GR] mission. I have had a look at the script and it's a pretty simple one, (but fto play) so would be a good start.

To help me make sure it's what you (and presumably others) need to know...Can you pls. write out in simple steps exactly what you to modify? And also, more importantly, what you would like to video to explain - in simple, but detailed steps please.

Think of it as you directing the movie and so you'll need to be specific about what you want. A sentence on each step you want to see would be good.

If you are feeling like getting a start on it...I have written out a few simple steps on the wiki you can follow.

EDIT: Have added a few new videos and information on mexicans, snipers and AI paths.

Edited by davros

sweet that is 1 of the maps i wanted to do .. ok lets see if any1 has played this map will know .. at the end (after last tank is down) 2 armor cars come from behind spawn area i want these 2 cars removed from the end and be placed at the start of the map about 6 min into the beginning of start and maybe if possible change where one of them stop ( i kind of want one to head up the hill or at least go farther into main area like where the other stops)

i also wanted to add snipers all over the maps up on the mountain in the other sniper nests and so on (20 or so)

maybe add a adat in the quarry itself up on on of the far hills (1 or 2)

maybe a mule (rpghard said when he was making maps these sometimes causes crash)

maybe a davros spawnpoint :D

hope this helps thanks in advance

as for other grin maps i really just wanted to add some more snipers (to keep the noobs in check from running thru maps)