Complete New Mod: African Crisis Mod

Good morning lads,

We're a modification moved from the game "ArmA/Armed Assault".

The reason why we're here is because the physical engine of ArmA does not allow us to do any great addons,

Its not possible to simulate bullets penetration/Character just having an falling down anim or all the other great things PhysicX is providing us.

We're quiete happy and highly motivated to start this project.

Here's the story,

Story:

We’re writing the year 1992. Operation “Restore Hope†failed and UN convoys are leaving the country. Mohammed Farah Aidid and his rebellion force grew up to an incredible level and since no US or UN forces are in the country anymore, they managed it to bring the government under their control.

As a Pakistani UN convoy was on its way to the border, opposition forces ambushed it.

4 UN soldiers left there lives the rest managed it to escape. As the Somali searched the wreck of an damaged UN truck they found parts of an nuclear device.

The device was immediately loaded to the new government with Mohammed Farah Aidid as leader with its place in Mogadishu, Central Somalia. 10 years they managed it to hide it. Year 2006: Iran wants to build an atomic device to force Israel to leave the pakistani area under the cover of an “Nuclear Power Plants System†but due the international pressure they cannot continue their program. After Mohammed Farah Aidid died the new leader; Akashi Nubuto took place as president and offered the device Iran.

It took 6 months to load the device and bring it via ship/truck to the Iran border.

January 2008: The Nato was calmed since Iran did not continue its program. Summer 2008: The Iran government dares to uncover its program and was confronted Israeli Air attacks immediately. But the Israeli Air attacks failed because their lead assumed that Iran would have its devices near the power plants.

2 weeks later Iran launches the missile…

The player starts as the US soldier “David Johnson†who’s heavily wounded in the battlefield and thinks back to 1992, how the war would look like; would the US Delta Forces managed it to capture Mohammed Farah Aidid and would have managed it to secure the device…

Click on the pictures to entlarge

Work by TriSN

mambau19.png

South African Mamba APC

"You'll be dead before you face it"

ak47toa.jpg

High Poly AK47

"Before the cartridge touches the ground you're already down"

bild3un3.png

MP5N

"Its looking like an ordinary submaschine gun and nothing to compare to the M16; but when you're hit; you'll see no difference"

bild2uoy.jpg

MP5N/stock

"If you want to hit nothing and just spray around then is the MP5N without stock your handgun of choice"

elandkzq.jpg

South African Eland APC

"Who does not like riding in an old ass APC with old ass WEAPONS among dead ass enemies"

samil2i6v.jpg

South African SAMIL20 Truck

"I'd rather use this one in offroad than some of my jeep's";

Captain Hollandovik

Addons of Brigante;

estkag.jpg

Nuclear Device

"Gigan is a noob. He never manged it to make his bomb work in MP proper... Now here's coming a new ass guy who started from scratch and had no ArmA experience; and made it possible after 7 years of waiting";

Drag, Modleader

Some of the pics are made in ArmA but I plan to import the things we mentioned since we made them.

The only bad issue: We've no modding experience in GRAW2.

Which tools would we need to import our 3d's work and integrate it into GRAW2.

Is there even interest for such a mod?

Nice Regards;

Me

___________________________________________________________________________________

We're recruting!! If you want to be in the mod (And thats for sure) then post a response or contact me. We need mission and map makers; but if you can do ANYTHING different please go in contact with us

Wow...VERY impressive ambitions. And hell yes, there is a need for this!!!

Having just spent months getting to know GRAW2 modding, I really appreciate your ambitions to enhance GRAW.

Go for it guys - we need it.

Just be aware that it's not the most friendly or stable of mod. platforms and plan for this. (ie. take baby steps, save often, code for reuse, maintain version control, test test test and ask lots of questions).

GO GET BOYS! :thumbsup:

Dav.

Hi friends,

Its a very nice community around here. I like it even moer than the ArmA Community:)

Yes, we're trying to bring everything in, in small steps of course.

I see many of you are experienced with the game Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2, regarding modding.

Any hint cise very useful.

Have a nice day friends,

Drag

Could that be because the ArmA community seems to know something that you haven't disclosed here?

BIS forums thread about the same mod...locked by admins

Along with other threads created under the same name too I might add.

Might just shoot a PM off to Placebo to find out what all the hubub is about.

@SnowFella

Yes, thats right but nothing to worry. Its something close between our member NGFT and placebo. We wanted to get the topic closed because we see no point having an topic for arma when we decided yesterday, that we're moving due the better engine and excellent gameplay to GRAW2

Also we feel that GRAW2 hasn't such a big modding scene and it would be nice to start a mod

Edited by DrDrag

Alrighty. :thumbsup:

Bit suprised though about the desition to go from ArmA to GRAW2 as GRAW2 has even more shortcomings than what ArmA has when it comes to modding and modsupport.

For starters atleast ArmA allows you to make custom animations in order to get new weapon content to work flawlessly, while in GRAW2 it's currently impossible to do. You'r stuck with the original animations and all the drawbacks they have, you can not import a new weapon unless you manage to get the sightline to match one of the already made weapons.

Second would be vehicles, to date noone has managed or even tried to import a new vehicle into GRAW2. ArmA on the other hand is pretty straightforward when it comes to vehicles.

Third would be weapon attachments...sure you can customise your weapon loadout but as soon as you get over a certain number of available attachment things go wrong in MP, GRAW doesn't seem to be able to keep track of more than 36 attachments from memory.

And the list of things goes on and on...GRAW 2 is all but modfriendly to tell the truth!

Third would be weapon attachments...sure you can customise your weapon loadout but as soon as you get over a certain number of available attachment things go wrong in MP, GRAW doesn't seem to be able to keep track of more than 36 attachments from memory.

And the list of things goes on and on...GRAW 2 is all but modfriendly to tell the truth!

This is the biggest issue in my opinion. It's virtually unlimited for SP, but the moment you go into MP it's crash city. You can work around it by removing some of the original attachments or renumbering, but it is quite annoying and prone to error. Since most people like to play MP this has limited the popularity and life of the game somewhat I think.

GRAW 2 is fun to mod, but it is very limiting in many ways like Snowfella said. Seems like some of the things you guys want to do would be well suited to Crysis. Like or dislike that game, the modding is pretty active and accessible. Multiple 3d apps work with it, lots of docs, vehicles, attachments, and it just seems like I good way to go for this type of thing.

Not trying to discourage you, but there's a difference between something that starts as a one weapon add-on and a full blown mod with missions, new gear, etc. I'm not sure GRAW2 is best suited for it either, but then messing with it for so long I have discovered many things I didn't think were possible. Other times you run into brick walls and tear your hair out.

My advice would be to list all of the assests or models you intend to bring to the game and look at everything you don't want in the game. How much of the original game do you want to re-use? How many missions? Do they need custom objects for the maps? Is it coop maps, standard MP, SP? Technically, you can redesign the whole SP interface, mission briefs, audio, etc, but you'll still find paths blocked, certain things unchangable, and issues. I guess that happens with anything, but GRAW2 can be particularly picky and prone to crashing when one little xml is off.

It would be cool to see this happen with GRAW2, but keep in mind your audience is already very small and the game is very tempermental when it comes to modding. Good luck!

Edited by Brettzies

So hang on - Pakistani UN peacekeepers in Somalia have a nuclear bomb...why?? Even if you accepted that, why would they withdraw, without the bomb, after FOUR deaths?!?!

I admire your attempt to create a mod, but you really need to work on the story.

Because Somalian Revulution is too dangerous for the other states, so they decided that is too late too react, there is only one solution left......

Edited by Brigante

FarCry2 isn't even released yet though mate

2 - 3 weeks isnt it.

'So hang on - Pakistani UN peacekeepers in Somalia have a nuclear bomb...why?? Even if you accepted that, why would they withdraw, without the bomb, after FOUR deaths?!?!'

this is a good point... i mean if the story is really about how Iran has got hold of a Nuclear Weapon, I could think of a number of better stores as to how that would have occurred...and the Pakistan UN Peacekeepers carrying one in the back of their truck wouldnt be one of them.

i hope u take this as constructive criticism...i love modders but even the best need advice along the way.

Edited by Lightspeed

Dr. Please take the comments made here in the spirit intended, not to discourage but to help. It may seem like we're all a bit battle weary, and we are, but it's hard earned wisdom we are trying to impart.

The game is a PITA to mod. but do it anyway. Others have done it, so it can be done and until they did what they did, many thought it impossible.

Can I suggest you start by releasing a base coop mission as a stepping stone and build on this with new props, then weapons etc. in later releases.

That way you will minimise the risk of getting burned out by what is sure to be a challenging mod.

To bastardise a phrase, "here the warnings, but do it anyway!".

Dav.

Hi folk,

Brigante who has responsed in one comment is also a mod member,

I agree, the story really needs some work, but I'm working on the weaponpack temporary, so I've no time yet.

If anyone of you has a good suggest, then here you go, i'd be happy if you make it public.

Thats my AK47 so far, there is still a long way in modeling (Also optimizing so that it does not end up with too many poly's)

ak47ivo.jpg

Edited by DrDrag

Thank you my friend, I'm sure this will help us a lot

Edit:

We've made boats but I think they got no function here?

But since we've the model we could make it as respawn point in the level?

Would be cool if somebody who can help us with this/who has good tutorials/ideas.

I call NO work tiny.

Everywork is important. This is why I don't say "Ah, you just made that small fix etc." because I'm happy about everyone who is able to help us even a little.

:)

bot187.jpg

Small Patrol Boat

We had it fully texturized in ArmA. The model and textures for this one aren't the best but as simple respawn point its in very good use I think.

Also I edited the AK47 again

ak472pei.jpg

ak473qge.jpg

Have a nice day,

Edited by DrDrag

If you want a custom map, 3DSMax is required. After the landscape is made then you have to import it into the map editor and go from there from my understanding.

More info can be found when you install the game under the Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2\public_tools\tutorials folder.

Mind you too, the only versions of 3DSM that the exporter supports are max 7 and 8...so in order to get say that boat ingame youd have to first export it from Max9 into a format the earlier versions of Max supports and from there into the game.

GRAW1 also has some very useful tutorials:

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter\Support\Editor tutorials

(Included with patch 1.35)

How to add your custom terrain

3D Max 7 example max files

Sound tutorials

And some more relevant stuff.

>LINK<

Although no vehicles have made it into graw before, doesn`t mean it is not possible. I think no-one has really given it a go. Also no reason why you cannot have insertion boats, tagged as road vehicles, with false water.

:thumbsup: