What Is A Hardcore Gamer?

Interesting question. I think it is hard to define either gamer. Would I be a hardcore gamer due to only playing sims like iL2 or Flight Simulator, Silent Hunter and Dangerous Waters or even Rainbow Six/Rogue Spear and Ghost Recon and that only on weekends (when I typically have more time) or am I a casual gamers who has a liking of games that have more depth than just shooting anything that moves? If you classify a hardcore gamer as one who buys all games in a franchise as they come out, then that automatically rules me out as I don't do that.

Maybe a hardcore gamer is one who gets really deep into a game and takes part in discussions about it whether on fansites or on the devs or publishers forums. Maybe a hardcore gamer is just one who plays and plays and plays without even interacting with others who play the game and never visits forums.

Maybe a hardcore gamer is one who gets really deep into a game and takes part in discussions about it whether on fansites or on the devs or publishers forums. Maybe a hardcore gamer is just one who plays and plays and plays without even interacting with others who play the game and never visits forums.

That is a really good definition that I forgot to mention, the player that delves into the community. Hell, at my peak, I only actually played RS for 3-6 hours a week, but I spent much more than that modding and on the forums, etc. I would have classified myself as hardcore, even though I only technically played every friday night.

Good point. Given the time I spend on this and other forums, I should be an ultra-hardcore gamer. What little time I spend playing these days is mostly Quadra Pop (a Tetris clone) on my mobile.

I think this subject has an awful lot of pitfalls for developers and publishers. People are not the same and can't be measured by segments, however much the marketing department would like them to, at least not when it comes to games.

It could be an intersting experiement to expose a group of people to a wide range of very different games and then let them pick, say, five games to take with them home. By conventional wisdom those five games should all fit into one category. I suspect that won't be the case.

Respectfully

krise madsen

I would put this in the gaming forum, but since it is split between console and PC, and this applies to both, I guess I'll put it in here. /HINT

Yeh I noticed that slight hole in our categories recently, there's a fairly easy fix though, I'll sort it out.

There's no easy definition. A hardcore gamer is, in my opinion, someone who's seriously interested in playing videogames as (i would hope) recreation or a hobby. It' s a broad definition, because it has to be.

WK definitely isn't the 'mainstream' hardcore gamer, he has no interest in the majority of quality games released, but that doesn't mean he isn't one. He's just a hardcore gamer in a specific niche of 'sim' style games.

I play pretty much everything released, have a ridiculous knowledge of different games and development trends, and judge games on their technical/design merits over my personal opinion of them.

So i'd probably fit the textbook idea of hardcore, but i hardly qualify as one if you're using common sense. Lately i only play anything aside from Toribash if i truly have absolutely nothing else to do. On a normal week i only play a few hours of games. And i usually buy them based on their artwork, instead of being the next big thing.

As a marketing concept, 'hardcore' is anyone who is going to judge your product based on other, similar games. I don't think most people would care if a top down shooter had the depth of ikuruga, or, hell, even know what it is. But if you were selling one to a hardcore base, you'd have to be ready for that kind of comparison.

To me a hardcore gamer would be someone who has gaming as their #1 hobby. Everyone else I consider casual gamers who may at times be consumed with a game but still have various other interests that take priority over gaming. ;) For me gaming takes a backseat to many other activities that I enjoy but when the weather turns cold I might just fall into the hardcore gamer class as gaming and watching sports on TV are my 2 most favorite winter activities. :cold:

I think it's been said before, but to me a Hardcore gamer is someone who gets involved in the community around that game rather than playing it in relative isolation. Having said that, the relevance of the actual time spent gaming has to have a bearing on the definition too. For example, if I spent all night every night playing Company of Heroes, I'd say I deserved a Hardcore gamer badge too, regardless of whether I knew where the online community hung out.

There are some games I play occasionally, but don't get involved in the forums side of it, and there are some games I play where I do.

I think a hardcore gamer is anyone who still posts on these forums during between game lulls such as this. In fact, anyone posting in this thread, I am calling you all out!

ps. Ser, you'll have noticed a new forum was created just for you, thanks Pave.

Sup tossed out another word to describe gamers, mainstream. How do you define mainstream?

That's not really a gamer term, more of a consumer term. The mainstream market is a lot less nebulous or hard to define than 'hardcore' or 'casual'.

Those products that sell better than others? You know, dumb action shooters, halo, final fantasy, GRAW on the consoles, all that good stuff? Hell, madden?

The people who make up those sales. A 'mainstream' gamer exemplifies market trends. They're the straight line, average, likes what most other people like; buys what sells best.

As an aside:

It should be noted that what most developers consider a 'casual game' is one that can be picked up and played well without any general videogame skills. This usually means simple controls or an intuitive controller. No knowledge of crouch jumping, wasd nonsense, button combos -- all of the stuff 'gamers' take for granted should be required to play a Casual game. Who is or isn't a casual gamer is a much more hazy concept, but in general all casual 'games' fall in to what i just described.

I actually blogged on this when you first posted it up serellan :)

As I touched upon in my blog post I generally dont know anyone who agree's on what it means and in my personal experience this is very much down to the fact that so many want to fall into the qualifying factors to ensure they fit the bill and this in turn means the parameters which makes a hardcore gamer are always changing in their view.

I'm inclined to agree with KRP, as a very general guideline I would say anyone who places gaming as their most favoured hobby or gives it priority over other activities counts as hardcore.

Beyond that it gets too complicated and personal and the entire thing begins to annoy me, for example I've been out and had people tell me they thought I was a proper hardcore gamer until they learned I didn’t play Fable.... so take note if you’ve not played Fable you’re screwed lol

I’ve also seen the hardcore argument raised in platform discussion/wars, the usual well if you don’t play this platform you can’t possibly be hardcore.

Ultimately what annoys me about hardcore discussion is the less mature in the community use it as a title of importance and superiority over others, because of this I try to avoid the term and take each person/ gamer for what they are regardless of titles self imposed or otherwise.

Good descriptions. Id say a hardcore gamer is someone who either excessively plays a single game or genre, excessively plays many games or contributes to a or many gaming communities in a signicant and sustained manner.

I agree with this statement. The key word, IMO, is excessively.

Dirty, nasty, filthy, not-to-be-spoken about, gamers are hardcore. :censored:

Actually, I think there are different levels. The definition of it being your main hobby is pretty good, but I know for me I will go long spurts without playing anything. Yet on a day to day basis I will still visit game sites and keep up on what is happening overall and be looking forward to specific releases. Is that hardcore? Kind of difficult to say, but I think it could definetly be conisered an "enthusiast" of the gaming industry as a whole. For instance, I dont' have a PS3, but I like to see what's being done on it, like Little Big Planet and MSG4.

I think the way the indsutry likes to label hardcore gamers as the ones who are either easily and enthusiastically satisfied with a year-to-year release or genre like Madden and will wait outside the night before to buy a copy. Or, those gamers who are consistentaly unsatisfied with "lite" gameplay features, too much accessibilty at the sacrifice of depth in gameplay or features, or stray to far from an established look, style, or feel. Basically, whatever fits their definition for the day and works as an excuse for not delivering a full featured game.

I think most gamers probably go through periods where they could be considered hardcore for that game or genre. As a whole, I think most of us are hardcore enthusiats who will get hooked on something for long periods of time. I know I went through a Mass Effect period earlier this year, but have also gone through weeks where I haven't played anything.

Good read and good comments from others.

This is definitely something that has been debated over and over like you said, and like you, I feel that there are varying degrees of "hardcoreness".

I'm a hardcore conflict global terror player because I've logged a lot of time on the game, followed the community closely, and know all the details about the game. If a new player to the game came along and had questions I'd be able to help them out with whatever they were facing. I wouldn't consider myself a hardcore gamer in general though. I don't have enough time in my busy schedule to play a ton of games and I really only follow one or two franchises religiously (well 3 I guess - Socom, Ghost Recon, and the conflict series).

A very good thread, everyone has a slightly different twist, all good posts.

Hardcore gamer for me falls into two categories, the Specific title/ product & general titles/ products, you can be a hardcore gamer of a specific title/ product or you could be a general hardcore gamer with specific titles to boot. Time spent playing a title does not define hardcore nor does interaction alone, (We are talking about video games). I use two different references, My nephew & me, he does not even realize he is hardcore & I am but to specific tiles only. The line between player & hardcore player for me is when the following is crossed.

HARDCORE

Title specific:

One who plays a title/ product and becomes so involved that they want more than the title offers as a standard product. They hunt out additional content, places or features to extend their involvement with the climax being directly contributing to the end experience for the pleasure of themselves and others.

General:

One who plays titles/ products and becomes so involved that they feel associated with the titles/ products they may want to share their experiences with others by involving others is the experience. These players may or may not be aware that they have become hardcore. In the end the player hunts down attentional titles to extend this involvement.

viii

• 1 month later...

Probably not the right thread to say, but personally I define myself as an "Excentric Gamer".

What that means? It means I am selfish, ignorant and stubborn. I only care about what I want and I want my game to be the way I want it. I am extremely nitpicky, while at the same time I show extreme awe and respect toward "nice" game features even if the game is actually very flawed for the most part (f.e. Project IGI, INFiltration).

"Realism" is my dogma, nothing below, Im a fanatic, an extremist. I suffer as gamer because most games suck, by my ignorant definition.

Reason for all this? Not principe, not morality, I'm a b#tch selling myself to the "best" developer. I know no loyalty, only supperiority, but I tend to be loyal to those who did something "right" at least once (like the dev's from Project IGI and INFiltration).

Reason is: I had the blastes blast experiencing games that did it "right", even if we are speaking abour little details.

Immersion. Immersion is what gave me the best gaming experiences I ever had, realism creates the most immersion. Remove that aspect from a game and I quit gaming (which I actually did). Blackfoot will awake me again.

Edited by Psychomorph

• 2 months later...

I consider myself a hardcore gamer.

What defines that for me ? Well I would definitely classify anyone being in a clan/squad as hardcore. Back in the "height" of the GR days when there were tourneys and such a lot of time would be spent on training for upcoming tourneys. That's more than people getting together for fun( been thru a ZA training session you know what I mean :P ).

There is a committment there.

Hardcore to me is also the guys/girls who are modding the games, not content to go thru all the base missions, but create more and share that with the community, releasing tools for others to do the same.

Wanna touch on something brettzie said in relation to people lining up the night before to get a game. To me that is more of a fanatic than a hardcore gamer. My buddy at work is one of those guys. I may be hardcore but I draw the line at lining up to be one of the "1st" to get a game. When Fallout came out(or the WoW expansion, or Madden etc.) he wasn't at work the next day. I can always tell when a new title came out because he either gets "snowed in" or is at the dentist :rolleyes: the next day. He says he's hardcore but I say he is a fanatic.

Now if there is someone lining up to get a PS3 or Wii, that isn't a fanatic. There are lining up not to be the 1st, but to get something in limited supply,there's a difference to me.

IMO hardcore is also those who are in the know about most of the upcoming titles, read thru many different gaming sites, post on various forums. Also throw anyone with a dedicated gaming rig into that category.

You won't have any argument calling me hardcore, one look at my GTAIV stats and seeing that 13:56 longest continous game would pretty much squash that argument. :P