Gmail

Foxtrot360

There was a huge deal of bad press about Gmail when it was first in beta, I don’t recall all of the issues raised but the main ones were that they could use information transferred in your email to target advertising, and then the issue of your emails just not being deleted permanently

I know that it was because of what I read at that time I never took out a gmail account despite invites although I never had the opportunity to check it out sufficiently to know how true or real those issues were

Actually heres the main site aswell - http://www.google-watch.org/

It kinda makes me wonder if I should cease use of my Gmail account, but I havent decided yet.

From what I've seen it is true that they can target advertising by scanning the text of your email, atleast thats what it looks like to me.

For example, someone emails me about a robot vacuum cleaner - the ads on the side of the page will say things like "Roomba Vacuum", "Vacuum Cleaner Discounts" etc.

Edited by Foxtrot360

I could care less, honestly. People who really need to get ahold of me can either call me, or get ahold of me by other means. e-mail is for piddly things anyway. If Google wants to show me ads about airsoft or video game stuff, more power to them. This isn't as big of a deal as people make it out to be.

That was kinda my thinking. Other than that Google ads function on the Gmail just as they do on any other page running Google ads IIRC, which is whatever is on the displayed page has content related to it in the ads, same with the email except its email instead of web content.

Edited by Foxtrot360