Disc Not Reading In Dvd-rw Drives?

Cirap

Hello! I remember I had this problem with GRAW1 PC as well, and remember it happening when GRAW2 was new

I have this Samsung TSSCORP H-552B PATA (IDE) drive, which is a DVD +/- RW DL writer. Whenever I insert the GRAW 2 disc it just spins around endlessly trying to read the disc to no avail.

If I move it over to my 9-10 year old DVD-ROM (read speed is like 2x or something) it works fine, but takes ages to install.

Is this just a random occurrence with my burner, or is the copy-protection on the disc designed not to work in DVD writers? If I remember correctly I renewd the drive firmware to see if it would help with my GRAW1 disc (it didn't)

The reason I'm asking is because I want to get rid of my old DVD drive, and possibly replace it with a new one, but I don't want to risk having two drives that neither can read my GRAW discs

After a fresh install recently, and a bigger hard drive, I decided to load up most of the games I have, that I would play from time to time.

Out of 25 games, 3 would not load as you state. (GRAW1 / Lockdown / BF2142) Nothing I could do to get them to load, so I left them to last.

Fitted another drive temporary, all 3 installed instantly, not an issue. Put old drive back in, all run fine.

Both drives were DVD writers. Both work flawless with any other discs besides those 3. Both drives had previously been able to install those games also. All discs are shiny clean with no markings or scratches.

So I would say it is a random occurence with the burner.

Don`t get rid of a working DVD writer, just replace it, and keep it safe.

Good luck

*Edit*

Absolute always try a new drive first. I purchased GRAW1 and Lockdown again for no reason. :wall::whistle:

If you check out the small print at the bottom of the "PC configeration " text on the back of the GRAW2 game box you will find this message

"NOTICE This game contains technology intended to prevent copying that may conflict with some DVD-RW and virtual drives"

Its also on GRAW, R6 Vegas and R6 Vegas2 !!

My guess is its on a few other titles as well :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

Buy a digital copy of the game STEAM/Direct2Drive Etc.

Buy an external USB CD/DVD-drive (or borrow/hire one if you can).

Borrow an internal drive from a friend (or work/school IT department if they have a spare one they will let you use for a day).

Check junk yards for old PC's with a working drive you can get.

Forget the whole thing and play a different game

...any alternatives?
Resetting the device might get the job done. Crack the case and switch its cable to another available SATA connector and then let device manager recognise the change and do its work from Windows. Or simply disconnect it, fire up the OS and then shut down once the settings have loaded, then reconnect the drive, fire it up the rig again and... cross your fingers.

Check for firmware revisions for the ODD.

If you check out the small print at the bottom of the "PC configeration " text on the back of the GRAW2 game box you will find this message

"NOTICE This game contains technology intended to prevent copying that may conflict with some DVD-RW and virtual drives"

Its also on GRAW, R6 Vegas and R6 Vegas2 !!

My guess is its on a few other titles as well :thumbsup:

This is the key problem in my opinion - notice they are all Ubi games. Ubi has made some poor choices in their copy protection, and chances are any copy protection they put on the PC game DVDs did next to nothing to prevent the games from being pirated and downloaded. Instead, Ubi gave gamers who legitimately paid their hard-earned money to buy their games problems like this.

The fact that other companies like EA and Activision's games don't have the same problems as Ubi's helps to point to the source of the problem.