Still Attempting A Jungle Storm Port

I'm sure this was a heavily discussed topic back when JS was released on PS2. I've looked through this whole forum looking for someone who at least attempted and recorded his reason of failure, but didn't find such post. So i decided to pick up my JS disc from the dust.

And in case anyone here didn't know, JS has a NEW 8 mission campaign, with new maps, set in Colombia. and 31 NEW multiplayer maps.

So ive tried almost everything to get the maps and files out. The disc contains mostly IRX files (which from my understanding are like .dll files but for the PS2) and it does contain 2 .IMG files which i successfully extracted 1 and i got rainbow six preview movies. there are 4 .BIN files, which you should be able to extract, that i was unable to extract, and i tried just about everything.

So if anyone has any suggestions or a better knowledge of .BIN or just to tell me im insane and got into a big mess, let me know!

thanks

Well folks, i guess it wasn't meant to be. I've run into dead end after dead end. Out of all the work ive done ive only managed to get about 20 upsetting game images ( it looks to me Ubi/RedStorm has a PC port in their studios, the screens look just how a PC version of JS would look, they look nothing like the Ps2 version ive played) and i got a couple of WAVE files and Rainbow Six preview movies.

Im not too upset, although i wasted sometime and $5 for some stupid extracting software. We'll us PC users have countless mods and better graphics that kick the crap out of a PS2 any day.

Well i tried.

• 2 weeks later...

well there is some more hope, but im getting kinda tired of dead end after dead end, but some guys at a PS2 mod forum finally replied to my posts, which i have an image extractor but im still stumped on the BIN files, i might ask them to make me some kind of extractor or rip-kit (which they make them upon requests) .

NoFears, im most likely going to put them in [GR] format , because i dont have GRAW, but maybe if there is enough demand , i could try GR2 maps for GRAW

thanks lightspeed, though im pretty sure im going to need some help from the experienced modders around here.

im sure texturing will be the biggest project.

if anyone wants to help or has suggestions let me know!

# [3.9] Signature Images Please keep these images to a reasonable size, less than 480x111 pixels and preferably below 100Kb in size, and 4 lines in length for text sigs. This is for the benefit of users on a slow connection and to reduce scrolling. Other forums may only show your sig image once per thread, or not allow images at all. We do, but you must follow the guidelines above.

:whistle:

# [3.9] Signature Images Please keep these images to a reasonable size, less than 480x111 pixels and preferably below 100Kb in size, and 4 lines in length for text sigs. This is for the benefit of users on a slow connection and to reduce scrolling. Other forums may only show your sig image once per thread, or not allow images at all. We do, but you must follow the guidelines above.

:whistle:

oh, i did think it was a bit too big when i put it there, but ill change it.

anyways lets get back on topic

thanks for the best wishes guys :D

does anybody know any other map and mission editing programs besides IGOR? (or anything else that can open .mis files)

also any info on .PAK files? everything i found about them brought up Quake (game) PAK files and some said certain Ziping programs could extract them, but most didnt work.

i think the 31 new multiplayer was a lie, ive seen mostly DS and GR1 map files (which werent playable on single player) overall i think ive seen about 2-5 'new' maps.

thanks

Edited by shakealeg1212

i think the 31 new multiplayer was a lie, ive seen mostly DS and GR1 map files (which werent playable on single player) overall i think ive seen about 2-5 'new' maps.

Yeah, I was a heavy jungle storm player on the ps2 and I honestly don't remember any new maps except for maybe one or two of the coop missions online. I didn't play the game on single player though. It was all online.

I know absolutely nothing about modding, but it seems like you've already done a fair bit already. If you could find some help with some of the other steps and actually get the maps in GRAW 2 you would make several people pretty happy.

• 2 weeks later...

im working on a jungle storm ps2 to pc port. im not sure when i'll finish

Hey shakealeg, kudos to you for trying to port the PS2 maps over to GR1. A lot of fans have dreamed about it but never thought it was possible.

What I'd suggest is just try to complete one map at a time. If you can even get us one Jungle Storm map, that would be really impressive.

im working on a jungle storm ps2 to pc port. im not sure when i'll finish

Hey shakealeg, kudos to you for trying to port the PS2 maps over to GR1. A lot of fans have dreamed about it but never thought it was possible.

What I'd suggest is just try to complete one map at a time. If you can even get us one Jungle Storm map, that would be really impressive.

yeah, i finally got the maps on my hard drive but, along with about 3000 other files, so right now im trying to extract them or convert them into PC files (mis,rsb etc)

Yeh, definitely, break it down to the point where you have achieved one import, then look at scaling it up :thumbsup:

Exciting stuff, if I can help any let me know.

the biggest help i need right now is figuring out what a .PAK file (from my understanding its like a .ZIP file) is and how to extract it (all the maps are in PAK format) once i get that done i may be able to accomplish something.

Oh and one other thing, im trying not to get too ahead of myself, but JS has 3 Desert maps (1 is acutally an edited version of the train depot map in DS) and im wondering if the Ghosts can be in their Desert boonie outfits for those 3 missions, and have IT outfits for the rest of the missions, is this possible?

Good luck with your efforts. You are definitely in uncharted waters.

The Half Life series uses some .pak files. You might try adding "Half life" to any searches you do in regards to .pak files and see what happens.

If you get that far, outfitting Ghosts in proper uniforms for desert maps is done with one line in the .env file in the map's folder. <DesertMap>1</DesertMap>

Oh and one other thing, im trying not to get too ahead of myself, but JS has 3 Desert maps (1 is acutally an edited version of the train depot map in DS) and im wondering if the Ghosts can be in their Desert boonie outfits for those 3 missions, and have IT outfits for the rest of the missions, is this possible?

Yes its possible and easy to set. :thumbsup: