Anti America's Army Movement In SF

Rocky

America’s Army†is a game developed by the U.S. military to instruct players in “Army values,†portray the army in a positive light, and increase potential recruits. The “game†is the property and brainchild of the US Army, which admit freely, and with pride, that it is one of their principal recruitment tools.

Yeah, there are many who think those "Army Values" like Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity, Personal Courage are just horrible things and should be done away with at all costs.

Sometimes I really wish that place would just fall off into the ocean.

Edited by durka-durka

Honestly, this is ridiculous, but I see the logic in what they're saying. Video games are designed to appeal to a younger demographic in addition to the age group they're really trying to get with it. I remember talking to an Army recruiter a month before it came out, and he was so excited for its potential as a recruiting tool. Obviously, they're not trying to get thirteen year olds to join the army, but I'd be willing to bet some thirteen year olds have played the game for years until they can join, and then sign up. Is that a bad thing? Well, that's up for everyone to decide for themselves I think. Just my $.02.

Watching the A-Team and playing with my GI Joes, and seeing Top Gun made me want to join the military when I was 6yrs old. I don't see the problem with a video game putting the Army in a good light, although I hope my kid still goes outside and plays "stick soldier" once in a while.

Watching the A-Team and playing with my GI Joes, and seeing Top Gun made me want to join the military when I was 6yrs old. I don't see the problem with a video game putting the Army in a good light, although I hope my kid still goes outside and plays "stick soldier" once in a while.

Yep. But these nutcases want to deprive people of the chance to think for themselves. Because these asshats think the Army is bad, they're hell-bent on imposing their limp-wristed views on everyone else.

I don't follow.

One side wants to impose their views on the other.

Whether it's 'Army is good, kids!'

Or 'Stop recruiting children!'

Each side has an agenda. I personally think the army's view is better, but it's silly to say one nutcase imposing their views on everyone else is any more pathetic than another nutcase imposing their views on everyone else.

How about we just let the army put out their game, and let these people whine about it? Let everyone talk? Make speech, y'know. Free.

It sorts itself out.

Too funny, yet makes a valid point...what a great post.

So, I wasn't the only one watching A-Team and playing with my G.I. Joes.

Too funny, yet makes a valid point...what a great post.

So, I wasn't the only one watching A-Team and playing with my G.I. Joes.

I did that too and played Army. My GI Joes always beat up my sister's Ken dolls and took off with Barbie. :FIREdevil:

I don't follow.

One side wants to impose their views on the other.

Whether it's 'Army is good, kids!'

Or 'Stop recruiting children!'

Each side has an agenda. I personally think the army's view is better, but it's silly to say one nutcase imposing their views on everyone else is any more pathetic than another nutcase imposing their views on everyone else.

How about we just let the army put out their game, and let these people whine about it? Let everyone talk? Make speech, y'know. Free.

It sorts itself out.

Whining about it is fine. But they want to go farther than whine. They want to silence the other side.

Well the hippsters strike out from the grave.....hey I would think the thing to do is teach your children well and hope they grow into responsible moral individuals......because you can't hide the Army from em any better than you can hide the dope.... if we do that and they become soldiers we can have the greatest confidence that they will represent well...does not matter..USA, UK, Russia, wherever...

mig :ph34r:

Whining about it is fine. But they want to go farther than whine. They want to silence the other side.

Through public support -- which is exactly how it's supposed to work work. If the majority were to agree with them and say the game shouldn't be marketed to minors, they'd have the right to insist (through proper channels.)

And considering how ridiculous their stance is, i don't see that happening.

If they were trying to silence them through more subversive means, i'd agree that it was something wrong, but;

1. Support for our campaign against America's Army 2. Sign our letter and endorse this campaign. 3. Participate in our upcoming event on Hiroshima Day (Wed., Aug. 6), at noon, in South Park (btw 2nd/3rd, Bryant/Brannan), asking these companies to either withdraw from their Army contracts or provide a warning label: “This game is designed to recruit children in violation of international law. Military service can be hazardous to your health.â€

Silly, but fair and harmless. And as for the article, which says some more radical stuff -- if the military thinks there's something honestly wrong with it, or it will do any real harm, they can try and pursue them for libel. I don't see that happening. Right now it's just both sides yelling their own nonsense about it, which i can't find anything wrong with.

migryder: Different people have different values. Some crazies think serving in the military is immoral -- an opinion they're entitled to, and entitled to share, even if it is utter nonsense.

Booo flipping hooo

What is wrong with inspiring kids to be good people?! Having a soldier as a role model is better then some rapper or holly wood star wouldn't you say? On top of that the game itself is credited to at least saving 2 peoples lives by its basic first aid class that some kid had to sit through to play it really ended up paying off huh?!

It is a bunch of nonsense. People get hurt in wars and doing a dangerous job they know that. Don't need a flipping label for it!

Through public support -- which is exactly how it's supposed to work work. If the majority were to agree with them and say the game shouldn't be marketed to minors, they'd have the right to insist (through proper channels.)

And considering how ridiculous their stance is, i don't see that happening.

migryder: Different people have different values. Some crazies think serving in the military is immoral -- an opinion they're entitled to, and entitled to share, even if it is utter nonsense.

You say that people are entitled to sharing their opinion yet, in the same post, you say it's ok to silence the other side "through proper channels?" I don't get your logic, but oh well..

Edited by durka-durka

You say that people are entitled to sharing their opinion yet, in the same post, you say it's ok to silence the other side "through proper channels?" I don't get your logic, but oh well..

Selling a game isn't voicing your opinion.

Free speech =/= freedom to sell all products, to everyone. Democracy = majority decides what they want. If a huge amount of people were to say it's wrong to provide this product to kids (by voicing their opinion) than the side saying it's okay (by voicing their opinion -- see how this works?) would be out voted.

I don't see that happening, anyway, so i don't get the point in making a big deal out of it.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a sheep voting whats for dinner. We live in a republic and intellectual rights should be treated as such aswell.

Hell that I hate the troops guy himself knows this better then anyone. Just about everyone hated him yet his website was still allowed to remain up (until it got hacked haha). I'd of loved to vote to stop the spread of his ignorance but its not mine or even 99% of Americas population to decide the fate of his website. Sure we could vote to get all kinds of warnings put on his site saying it is a hate sight or what not but ultimately what it comes down to is it is his website not any of ours and that means it is all his intellectual property.

I hate that guy with a passion too yet I'm still defending his GOD GIVEN RIGHT to express his opinions. Just as if the ARMY wants to show their trade to a younger audience they should be able to, It ultimately comes back down to the parents of the kids and minds of the viewer to determine what they are seeing.

Not some group of idiots.

Just as if the ARMY wants to show their trade to a younger audience they should be able to, It ultimately comes back down to the parents of the kids and minds of the viewer to determine what they are seeing.

I agree, and if this were ever to gain enough momentum that it actually went to court or something, I'm pretty sure that would be the ruling.

My point is that the group of idiots has the right to try, that's how this system works, and it's nothing to get worked up over.

(And if we want to split hairs, representative republic 'democracy' is the buzzword everyone campaigns over, it's easier to use in casual conversation.)

Also, it's good to see you posting again, PZ. How've things gone so far?

Its weird to see the bleeding hearts get their panties in a bunch over a game.

I've played America's Army, and to tell you the truth, there are so many games out there that can do better than that particular game to inspire young people to join the military.

COD4, for instance. Now if THAT game doesn't make the kids who play it want to join the military at some point in life, I don't know what does. Just because this particular game is sponsored by the United States Military (Army, in this case), doesn't mean that its necessarily any different than any other military-themed games out there.

I have to say though that this:

Military service can be hazardous to your health.

makes my day.

COD4, for instance. Now if THAT game doesn't make the kids who play it want to join the military at some point in life, I don't know what does.

The SAS, maybe. I would not want to be a marine in the cod4verse.

What? Aside from getting nuked, they did pretty ok. :thumbsup:

COD4, for instance. Now if THAT game doesn't make the kids who play it want to join the military at some point in life, I don't know what does.

The SAS, maybe. I would not want to be a marine in the cod4verse.

What? Aside from getting nuked, they did pretty ok. :thumbsup:

They went to war with improper intel -- pursuing a man who was not even in the country, and then encountering nukes they had no warning of.

Which killed the vast majority of their unit. Kindof sucked for them. >_<

• 2 weeks later...