Games For Windows Live

CR6

Games for Windows Live multiplayer matching service (i.e. the PC version of Xbox Live) is now free.

http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/Live/.../AboutLive.aspx

Maybe it's because no one was actually using it ...

Case in point: Hardly any popular MP PC games use this service, and I actually tried it once with Halo 2 PC last year (had 1 month free with the same gamertag as my Xbox Live account) and haven't signed on since.

Hmm, that's actually really good news. I had a hunch though that charging pc players to play online wasn't going to fly after years of being able to do it free (well except some mmo's).

If they could make some really fun games linking xbox and pc gamers it could a great thing for the pc market.

• 2 weeks later...

I always wondered what MS was thinking when they first released the GFWL features and costs. I knew that no one that played PC games would pay to play online.

Maybe they thought "We are going to make it free, but why don't we first make it so they have to pay for it?. If it goes bad we just turn it free, as we wanted on the beginning, and if it goes well then we are more richer than we already are".

Not overly surprised at this, as others have said after so many years of PC gamers paying nothing it doesnt matter if the alternative is 'better' without some truly amazing extra's you have no reason to move from the established methods to a pay for service

GFWL didn't really matter to me since I already had an XBL Gold account.

The one plus for PC users was that Silver accounts could play online, but it annoyed me that you had to get a Gold membership (i.e. pay) to get all the online features in a game.

W40K: DoW2 is supposed to use Live and there are mixed opinions on this. Some people are saying that it should be much more stable than RelicOnline, and if that's true I'm all for it. I wouldn't know anything about RO since I don't use it for anything other than logging in to play CoH campaign/skirmishes. Relic has already said all the online features will be free.