Batman Film: The Dark Knight

mwgfghost

Well I went to the 1PM show for Dark Knight and I won't ruin it for anyone but I liked it. I liked Heath Ledger as Joker cause he played him so much more psychotic and unpredictable. But I think that's because this was based on a completely different story than the Tim Burton film. And I can't say who played Joker better because they were two different stories. But yeah I really liked the storyline. And is it me or does Christian Bale's voice deepen whenever he puts the suit on? It sounds like he's on a roid rage or something.

I went to see it at 9:30PM last night and I have to say that it was excellent. At first I thought no one could touch Jack Nicholson, but Heath Ledger was amazing. I especially liked his little magic trick, which was very unexpected.

As for Bale's voice sounding strange while in the batsuit, here's an explanation as to why that is.

How Stuff Works - Batsuit

I just saw this reviewed on the totally rad show and those guys loved it too, and also recommended that it's watched at an imax, so that's what I plan on doing next week :thumbsup:

yeah, apparently several scenes were filmed in imax

Saw it a 120:01AM Friday morning. What an incredible movie.

Action packed, a deep plot, moves a long nicely (you see A LOT in 2.5 hours). Great story development, Heath Ledger is incredible. Yes, Bale's voice gets deeper in the suit... obviously, it has to... or he could be recognized by his voice. A friend told me it was part of the suit - a voice enhancer. Anyway...

An incredible movie. Definitely a setup for a sequel, but I don't think it can/should be done after Ledger's death.

Go see this movie, you'll really enjoy it! Everyone!

Saw it again at 6:30PM with my cousin tonight. He loved it and as for seeing it a 2nd time, it was even better. I hate to say it but Jack Nicholson and Tommy Lee Jones' Batman characters were both out-done in this movie. Ledger was just so insane, sporadic and twisted. But even though the character was so psychotic he always made things funny and had you wanting more. It really is a shame he OD'd cause I really think this was his best performance yet.

I just saw this reviewed on the totally rad show and those guys loved it too, and also recommended that it's watched at an imax, so that's what I plan on doing next week :thumbsup:

yeah, apparently several scenes were filmed in imax

i saw the HBO first look before going to see it and they said the whole thing was shot with imax camras. say it last night in imax and wow it was great and defently the extra $ to go to the imax experance

i saw the HBO first look before going to see it and they said the whole thing was shot with imax camras. say it last night in imax and wow it was great and defently the extra $ to go to the imax experance

Only 3 scenes are displayed in imax format according to the review I saw. But they did say the cahnage in format didn't really break you out of the movie, they were just plain awesome.

Wow, Nolan did a homage to Frank Miller's Batman.

Totally agreed with above post...this was a great movie...haven't seen a Marvel did a movie like this.

A movie not about special effects but great storyline, with great actors, not just eyecandy 20-something actors.

Actors that delivered their role/characters.

Even Maggie Gyllenhaal pulled her own weight with these amazing actors. Yep she's not as pretty as previous actress but boy did she convinced me.

Aaron Eckhart did an amazing job, I literally forgot who play previous Two-Face. The make up/CG was amazing, kudos for the Nolan for not holding back.

I would not be surprised if Heath Ledger receives a nomination at least.

Nolan played with your senses, he didn't blow your eardrums with unnecessary booms and explosions.

He made you pay attention to the emotions of the scenes

Lots of dark and blue to translate the emotions.

Day scences played how ruthless the Joker was, saying he is not afraid of the Bat, day or night.

Nolan play how in transition Batman was, how vulnerable he was without his Bat-cave/Mansion

Nolan toyed with our sensibility, prejudice, morality, he show how "two-face" some of us can be.

I regret seeing this movie in IMAX, which I intended, but a breakdown in communication with Fandango's Time schedule and actual theater got me everyone confused. Fandango listed a 1:45PM IMAX showtime, but in actuality, it was 1:45 AM showing.

I wanted to see how expansive the shots were, how grandeur Bruce Wayne's Party were.

Nolan pulled what a Dark Knight Batman is, was and forever will be.

As for Heath Ledger as the Joker.

He just made Jokers shoes too big, for the next Joker to fill.

10/10

I agree with Ledanek's review. I didn't think Transformers was terrible. I kinda liked it but Michael Bay always seems to use CGI and big explosions. I watched a behind the scenes thing on comcast and they said the truck flipping over was actually a real truck and not cgi. Pretty crazy. This is definately one of my favorite films if not my favorite of 2008. The whole cast was just amazing. The only part I could have done without was the one SWAT guy complaining in the one scene. I dunno. Maybe it's cause I've seen it 3 times now and that part's just really old.

But even the guys who played the side detectives and whatnot were good. I'm also glad Lieutenant Gordon had a bigger role in this film. It'll be interesting to see how he continues as the commissioner if there is gonna be another installment to this series. Only villains left that I can name are Penguin, Riddler, Mr Freeze, The Croc(can't remember his official name) and Poison Ivy.

Couldn't imagine anybody playing Penguin other than Danny Devito but I also couldn't see anybody playing Joker but Jack Nicholson and Ledger out-did him. Then there's Robin. I say bring back the 1960's Robin costume lol. I know 3rd time's a charm but I'm probably gonna see it one more time in a few weeks if it's still in theaters.

I ###### love it... I mean, so much was going on all the time to keep the pace.. Why so serious?.. Why so awesome :)

I would recommend this to anyone...

I saw baewolf at the IMAX and at a normal cinema, I really wanted to see batman there too, maybe another time I'll arange somethin.. Bet it will be amazing... :thumbsup:

I regret seeing this movie in IMAX,

Is that a typo?

yes...thanks CrowmanUK :thumbsup:

About the semi flipping...I believ that was real. It was in YouTube for awhile and rumors was going around in Chicago, ppl were actually camping at various buildings downtown to catch a glimpse.

One guy name, the actor in the 2nd Blade-movie---Deacon Frost---maybe---just maybe---can be the next Joker. But like I said, HHHHUUUGGGGEEE shoes to fill.

I really don't forsee Robin with his 70's-80's custom, since most comic-turned-movie are so dark and gritty.

Unless they turn to Nightwing <_<

I can see the franchise choosing Killer Croc since he seems so diabolical. Bane would be good too, but such an after-taste from the gay-Batman has too many shaking their heads.

Yep...saw it at the nearest IMAX. A solid two and a half hours, my first IMAX experience and well worth the money. It was more like a crime/heist thriller than a comic based super hero film. Nicholson was good and the Gotham City portrayed in his film was very dark and decaying, a bit like L.A. in Blade Runner. This film however, was more like your everyday city and of course, it was Chicago we saw for the most part. Ledger was stunning and I like the fact that we never got to know who he was, where his scars came from and really, why he was causing chaos.

A message to all of you couch potatoes out there......go and see this film at the pictures and at an IMAX if you can.

There was a trailer to this film too and it looks a blast;

Plot: Brad Pitt works in a gym and gets handed a CD from a colleague, that's full of CIA files. He decides to blackmail the agent [John Malcovich]......'dark' comedy ensues. :thumbsup: ......Oh!....and Clooney's in there too.

DS

• 3 weeks later...

Saw it at Glasgow imax on Friday night, AWESOME.

It was a sell out (still), 400 folks in there. The imax is more of a total film experience, if you haven't been, here's how they do it in Glasgow.

Once everyone is seated, a girl on a mic at the front welcomes everybody and build the hype a little bit, about imax being the best experience, and advises folks to use the rear exits for toilet breaks and the usual phone warning.

It was at that point a lot of folks reached for their phones to put them off - including my Dad. <_< You know how when you put a phone off it is generally because you don't want it ringing or breaking the silence somewhere? Maybe it's me, but in that situation, for a phone switching off to play a loud melody, is kinda asking for the wrong kind of attention. :wall: I mean, the place is dead quiet, the film is just starting and all you hear is my Dads phone going de diddly dee dee deeeeeee. :wall: I tried to console myself by thinking maybe it would be tricky for folks to sort of pinpoint who's phone it was, but he blew that too when he announced a little bit too loud for my liking "Got that off just in time eh?" OMG!!!!

After that though, what a show! The opening scene was just awesome, I found if I lowered my eyes to the bottom of the screen as the camera did the city flyover, it actually felt like I was moving, that's how immersive it was. There were several short imax clips that lastest a few seconds, and a handful of full scenes done in imax. The clarity was awesome, and also I noticed the non-imax shots were also better quality than our usual odeon screenings.

What wasn't so good and I really cannot understand this, is the lip synch was noticeably out in some scenes. Is this how the film is produced, or a hardware issue at the point of viewing? It is bizarre that a film using top end imax hi resolution technology can still exhibit lip synch issues - that's something that can just pull you right out of a film.

That minor issue aside though, great technology, great film, and yes the joker performance was actually very very good.

At this screening they showed what looked like an imax format trailer for Watchmen, which I am definately going to see next summer, working my way through the graphic novel now actually.

If there's an imax anywhere near you, go see The Dark Night there, we drove for 3 hours to go see it on imax, when I usual cinema is 15 mins away, and it was definitely worth it.

The wife and I saw Dark Knight Saturday night. My only complaint was Batman's voice. We were both stunned at Heath Ledger's performance, as well as the sheer volume of the film. It was, without a doubt, the loudest film I have ever seen. We would have seen it in an Imax, but the last Imax we saw made me really dizzy, so we just went to the local theater. It's still a fabulous place, mind you. Huge screen, stadium seating, full surround sound. All in all, amazing film. It's too bad that Heath Ledger passed, because his performance was phenomenal. I wouldn't even have been able to tell it was him, had I not known ahead of time.

The wife and I saw Dark Knight Saturday night. My only complaint was Batman's voice. We were both stunned at Heath Ledger's performance, as well as the sheer volume of the film. It was, without a doubt, the loudest film I have ever seen. We would have seen it in an Imax, but the last Imax we saw made me really dizzy, so we just went to the local theater. It's still a fabulous place, mind you. Huge screen, stadium seating, full surround sound. All in all, amazing film. It's too bad that Heath Ledger passed, because his performance was phenomenal. I wouldn't even have been able to tell it was him, had I not known ahead of time.

Yes, I read before hand comments like "what's with the voice", and at first when I heard it, I thought, uhm this is too much, but I think they just about got away with it.

Loud? Yeh, same here! The seats were actually vibrating!

Once everyone is seated, a girl on a mic at the front welcomes everybody and build the hype a little bit, about imax being the best experience, and advises folks to use the rear exits for toilet breaks and the usual phone warning.
Yeah!....I had some teenager say the same story. It must be an IMAX S.O.P.

I mean, the place is dead quiet, the film is just starting and all you hear is my Dads phone going de diddly dee dee deeeeeee. :wall: I tried to console myself by thinking maybe it would be tricky for folks to sort of pinpoint who's phone it was, but he blew that too when he announced a little bit too loud for my liking "Got that off just in time eh?" OMG!!!!
Cracks me up :rofl:

......we drove for 3 hours to go see it on imax...
You sound like the Walton's Family :P

I'm glad you got to see it on IMAX.

'night John-Boy ;)

DS

About the semi flipping...I believ that was real. It was in YouTube for awhile and rumors was going around in Chicago, ppl were actually camping at various buildings downtown to catch a glimpse.

yeah it was real, you can even see the smoke from the nitrous tanks or whatever they use as its flipping over.