Guy Shoots His Hand At Range..?

Rocky

from my first time watching, it looks like he's shooting a Glock 18, which is full auto and accidentally fires a burst when he thinks he's shooting semi-auto. The recoil catches him off guard and the weapon kicks back, he lets his grip slip and his weak hand winds up in front of the muzzle. I'll watch it again to be sure, though.

Looks to me like it's something even "worse" than that, a G18 that someone's mounted a vertgrip on. They way he grips is hints at that and also the way he looses his grip with the left hand hints at the grip coming loose from the recoil. = left hand will end up infront of the muzzle.

I only watched the video once, but I drew the same conclusion that Snow drew, regarding the gun having a vertical grip of some sort. If you watch at the end, his left hand is gripping something as the gun recoils the last time. It looks as if the grip might have actually come off of the rail beneath the barrel, and that he dropped it after he shot himself. Down on the floor, to the right of where the shooter was standing is what looks like said grip.

Edited by Parabellum

Saw the original video posted by the guy behind the camera. His explanation was that there was a pistol-grip on the G18. It somehow broke, and the recoil forced the gun back causing this accident. It was not fault of anyone's, except for the failure of the PG. Even then, he explained the PG failed because it was not intended for use on the G18.

FYI. :)

It was not fault of anyone's, except for the failure of the PG. Even then, he explained the PG failed because it was not intended for use on the G18.

FYI. :)

Then it is the fault of the owner of the weapon who had defective equipment attached to his weapon. It was probably some cheap aftermarket forward grip that wasn't properly secured to the forward rail.

One has to wonder why there is even a front grip on a pistol? This goes back to an earlier question I made of why does everyone need to have all sorts of attachments on any and every type of weapon? It's assinine really.

On a FA pistol, it makes sense to control muzzle rise. Hence the factory installment of them on many auto pistols like the Beretta 93R or Steyr TMP.

Now, that assumes a quality front grip on a FA pistol, not some aftermarket junk that an idiot put on improperly.

I don't recall the exact details... but something regarding the FG was that either the guy shooting, or the guy behind the camera, was the designer/builder of the FG. Somehow, the creator of the FG was involved in this video. I need to see if I can find it exactly...

ETA:

From the cameraman:

I was at Gator Guns in WPB Fa and this guy shot himself in the hand with a glock 18, Now to clarify some mixups, the owner of the gun is not shown, this was a friend of his that was shooting it and yes there was a handle in the are where you would normally attach a laser/light, the gun was not malfunctioning he just kept on tapping the trigger...

From the owner of the Glock:

I am a class 2 mfg (FFL/SOT holder to mfg machine guns and silencers and other NFA weapons) that is a glock 17C converted to full auto by me legally... just to clear things up. the grip is made in israel for there special forces, just for Glocks which they use extensively. it is not some cheap air soft grip that I jimmy rigged on the gun. although you could use it on any acc. rail. the rail on the glock is not just used to flashlights and lasers. it is an accessory rail for any acc. this accident was complete user error, he basically held the front grip tight and did not hold the gun tight enough when it recoiled he was pushing forward on the grip so hard that it broke off the gun. it actually broke a chuck out of the bottom of the Glocks receiver. the grip for a lack of better explanation was ripped off the front of the gun. I fired 10's of thousands of rounds through that gun before this happened and I have used it since with no problem.

Sorry, I was a little off on the details... ehh. I'm not about to point fingers at anyone, I wasn't there. All I know, is that I'd have a hard time handing a FA gun of any kind to someone with no experience in ever firing it, without properly educating them on how to fire, and how to properly control it. It was an accident, they happen... especially with things that go "BOOM" rapidly. It's sad that it happened. But at least no one lost their life.

From memory though those rails have pretty low tolerances, for example there's a maximum allowed weight for accessories on those rails and I strongly suspect the force of someone using that rail to mount an FG for recoil management exceeds that "weight"

There's even been reported incidents of that rail breaking loose, just as the owner explains it did, from slightly to heavy taclights.

So regardless of what he says I'd call it the owners fault as he's exceeded the manufacturers specs for said rail.

• 2 weeks later...

Muzzle rise with machine pistols has always been an issue, especially with the high cyclic rate. As Serellan stated, the Beretta 93r (full auto 92) has a built in forward grip that swings down. Likewise the number of MACs that were sold with straps hanging from the front to use as a grip (although that was more to do with civy laws and a non-machinegun pistol with a forward grip is a no-no (it then become an AOW classified weapon under the NFA). Just look how high the thing points when he held long enough for a three round burst.

Anyway, forward grips aren't the problem. Just using them improperly is. It's kind of odd how it came back down on him though, recoil should have lifted the gun up away from the now unsupported hand. I think after it let go he just held in the trigger too long while moving the gun back down into position... and the unsupported hand stayed still ending up in the muzzle sweep.