Bad Day Fishing

WhiteKnight77

Typically a bad day fishing is always better than a good day at work, well, today it really was a bad day fishing. After losing several lures yesterday and one today ($20 worth of lures easy), I changed to a different bait. I was fishing from a pier in a pond and cast down the length of it, around 30 feet, about 15'-20' off it. I was bouncing a plastic lizard off the bottom and got a hit. The bass took off and I set the hook (and had to set the drag real fast as it was a bit to loose). As I was reeling in the fish, it took of under the pier. As I tried to keep reeling it in, my line snapped, taking the only lizard I had like that at the time. Talk about a bummer. Around an hour after that, another fisherman showed up and using plastic worms, hooked a 3-4 pounder not far from where I hooked mine and even had a second fish chase the other one in.

One good thing came about today, one of the park rangers came down to the pier and told us a few choice places to catch fish, but they are only accessible by boat (they rent boats) as there is no bank fishing allowed (and why I lost lures, pitching back towards the banks and catching trees that overhang the water).

Ahhhhh fishing!......the past time of many an American male I've met. I tried it just the once when I moved to the US and was bored out of my tree. The man I fished with still owes me money! One bloke I worked with did competitions on a regular basis. That's all he talked about. IMO it's the married men that do it to get away from the wife and kids. There's plenty of good fishing out in the US though and beats any that I've seen in the UK apart from Scotland.

DS

Ahhhhh fishing!......the past time of many an American male I've met. I tried it just the once when I moved to the US and was bored out of my tree. The man I fished with still owes me money! One bloke I worked with did competitions on a regular basis. That's all he talked about. IMO it's the married men that do it to get away from the wife and kids. There's plenty of good fishing out in the US though and beats any that I've seen in the UK apart from Scotland.

DS

Yer right nearly as bad as Cricket or watching paint dry, I wana know how he gets the time ......

Fishing tournaments are usually held on the weekends. For me, I end up not sleeping (going to bed at 3 AM normally due to working second shift doesn't let me sleep) so I can be out early since most parks open at sunrise and that typically is the best time to fish.

Fishing is more about location than anything else. If you're where the fish are, you'll catch some. I personally don't enjoy fishing that much, except when I head over to my brother-in-laws pond. We head out in the center on a little boat and cast into the edges near the trees. Last time we did this, we caught about 30 fish between the both of us over a 1-2hr period. Of course we threw them all back, but it's a lot more fun than bank fishing for 3hrs and getting nothing.

If you want excitement, Head out to a river bank with some chicken liver and battle the catfish. It's a blast as they hit is so hard they can take your pole from your hands. Also one night we got a snapping turtle realed in after about an hour battle.

I caught a catfish on a Rooster Tail 2 years ago on the river behind the brother in law's father's place. I hope to go back up there for 4th of July again this year.

I have fished for catfish too. They do put up a fight and love chicken liver. Make sure you have a pair of pliers though. ;)

If you want excitement, Head out to a river bank with some chicken liver and battle the catfish. It's a blast as they hit is so hard they can take your pole from your hands. Also one night we got a snapping turtle realed in after about an hour battle.

No, no, no... you noodle for catfish. :ph34r:

For snapping turtle, you just take an empty milk jug and tie it on a string with something nasty at the bottom and throw it in a pond. Come back later and see what you've got.

Edited by RooK

• 2 weeks later...

Turtles still one of my favorite animals..... effecient hunters and not much eat them except gators, crocs, or really big fish. Dont think any eat this guy either http://j.b5z.net/i/u/2051986/i/Dsc02762.jpg

Fishing is always better then working...

I got a few favorites

6 foot nurse shark being my biggest fish

4foot bonehead (took almost an hour to real in.)

Lost a 40 some odd inch red drum at the side of the boat before >:|

Mahi Mahi to small to keep... great looking fish though.

Bass fishing is more like GR where as saltwater fishing is more like call of duty lol and I love them both.

Planning on some Halibut here soon. 200lbs ill be one happy dude!

Edited by pz3