[Not many] Custom Maps On Servers

There are so many good custom maps made for GRAW2 but i have not seen many of them out on the servers when i have been out for some fun to play, what is the reason that server admins do not use so many custom maps??

I miss more good maps on servers!

Edited by NoFears

No autodownload. As soon as a custom map comes into the rotation a sizeable chunk of the players get booted for not having the map. If an admin wants to keep his/her server populated (and justify even having it up), he/she needs as many people in at all times as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

There was no autodownload in the first Ghost Recon title, still many people downloaded the most popular maps, mods and other stuff to the game that was cutom made. Nobody complained at that time about the way to download this custom stuff that was accessible to all from this site or clanbased sites.

I think some of you that complains about the lack of autodownload, you have been spoilt with it from the GRAW1 title.

Are you really so lazy and so spoilt that you can't make the effort to download the maps and mods for GRAW 2 the way we used to do from start when Ghost Recon was new and popular??

The custom maps are easy to download and easy to install without the autodownload, so what is the problem??

Please! Make a big improvement here :thumbsup:

Edited by NoFears

Things change in 7 years. Gaming has become more popular, more people are making their own content and not putting it up for download, and even if they are there is no centralized place to download all the maps. Besides, with some maps that are constantly changed, who knows if you have the latest version or not.

And I wouldn't be so quick to call people lazy and spoiled. It's more like online gaming has evolved, and any game worth it's salt that offers custom maps has an autodownload for maps. Games such as the Call of Duty series, Unreal Tournament series, Quake series, Doom series, ArmA, Counter-Strike, Battlefield series, hell even the Halo port (I think), all of them have a map autodownloader. It's more like people expect it if there is to be any MP support, especially if the previous version of the game had it.

As for mods, the way mods work in this game is VERY difficult to understand. Everyone has to have the EXACT same file, no variation whatsoever. For example, if I have v1.4 of Brettzies mod and you have v1.41, we would get errors left and right trying to join the same game. Since the game doesn't have any way of sorting modded and stock servers it is hit or miss (more often miss) when trying to use a mod in the game.

Basically the MP side of the game needed to up the ante a little bit before it could even be considered a decent MP title thanks to being "spoiled" for the last 7 years by other games.

I wonder why GRIN and UBI did not included the autodownload in GRAW2?

I wish they can give us a good explanation why it was removed.

Autodownload could solve the issue with the lack of cutom maps on many hosted servers.

Can someone from GRIN or UBI tell us why and if there gonna be a new patch in the future,

with autodownload or other stuff included?

There was no autodownload in the first Ghost Recon title, still many people downloaded the most popular maps, mods and other stuff to the game that was cutom made. Nobody complained at that time about the way to download this custom stuff that was accessible to all from this site or clanbased sites.

I think some of you that complains about the lack of autodownload, you have been spoilt with it from the GRAW1 title.

Are you really so lazy and so spoilt that you can't make the effort to download the maps and mods for GRAW 2 the way we used to do from start when Ghost Recon was new and popular??

The custom maps are easy to download and easy to install without the autodownload, so what is the problem??

But [GR] gave a text box to tell people where they can download a map or mod "http://yourwebsite" etc .

it didn't DL maps or mods but we knew where we could get them and the mods folder was alot simpler to deal with. insert mod, activate/deactivate done!

Edited by Papa6

But [GR] gave a text box to tell people where they can download a map or mod "http://yourwebsite" etc .

it didn't DL maps or mods but we knew where we could get them and the mods folder was alot simpler to deal with. insert mod, activate/deactivate done!

Um... papa i think your confused. No text box in GR1. You have an activate side and an deactivate listing the mod name. Unless the mod was called the server path, there was no way to tell. Frostbite never had one, nor any i can think of. You just searched till you found the mod you wanted.

um no... when you DON'T have a mod, most modders put a text into their mod description through IGOR that told you in game where their mod can be found. it wasn't required, but most modders put it in themselves.

um no... when you DON'T have a mod, most modders put a text into their mod description through IGOR that told you in game where their mod can be found. it wasn't required, but most modders put it in themselves.

Note igor...

Most peeps have no idea. Not found in the join screens.

The Truth, several members here Admin servers, Games need an Auto downloader or an informative way of directing the player to a place to download and add/ install the map/ mod. Several years ago it was all possible, but GRAW had problems with auto downloader 1, that required a game restart, which was not bad. What was bad, was the fact that the more mods/ maps added, the longer GRAW1 took to load, getting to a point where it was a running joke on VOIP.

Time passed and GRAW2 was announced, a list of fixes and player requested features were posted, but when GRAW2 surfaced it was not GRAW1 improved, it was something else. The problems that were in GRAW1 had been addressed, features in GRAW1 that were not a problem but not perfect, were omitted AKA Auto downloader.

Now players were in a right pickle, No auto downloader, A new improved map editor, No dedicated server instructions.... in fact the list was long.

It's not a fact of being lazy but of helping the community grow, there was no provision for a welcome message with timer, or MOTD, to instruct or direct players to a download area or site, word of mouth was the only way, nowhere near perfect for the second coming of GRAW. There had been an opportunity and it was missed, infact it was made worse.

I use to map for GRAW1 but when I saw GRAW2 I was disappointed, not with the editor, which had chanced and been released with no documentation. But with the Dedicated server & downloader that made admins lives even harder. If and when GRAW3 is released 2009, then I will probably get back into it, but contenders are in the wings and my favourite 'Ground Branch' is starting to make headway, I going to get involved.

viii

• 2 months later...

I do not see many custom maps in rotation on game servers, it can send signals

to our map makers that there great work with custom maps is not appreciated..

because there are not used.

So i hope someone can start a server or game room with some good Custom

maps so people wanna DL and try them out.

I have almost all the great maps in my PC but hardly used,

because not many have them i servers.

Is the "GRAW2 Custom map era" going to end very soon??

[Merged with your existing thread on this]

Edited by Pave Low

22nd SAS Regiment Clan have currently a custom map dedicated server which is available 24/7

Maps on their at the moment include:-

All areTDM or HH

Urban Conflict

Groundstry

Compound

Castle Day (part of the TRR map pack)

Grand Valley

Southern Village

Hacienda Day

Embassy Open

Water Works

The Forest V4

The Bridge (small map based on the top of the dam)

Quarry day

Market

The server is a limited life server 3 on TDM 5 on HH

All are welcome, but please observe server rules

That was good news :D then i can try out some of the custom maps some day.

It is getting little bit boring with these orginal maps only in servers, need to see some new stuff.

Can you fix a map pack to DL and install them easy?

22nd SAS Regiment Clan have currently a custom map dedicated server which is available 24/7

Maps on their at the moment include:-

All areTDM or HH

Urban Conflict

Groundstry

Compound

Castle Day (part of the TRR map pack)

Grand Valley

Southern Village

Hacienda Day

Embassy Open

Water Works

The Forest V4

The Bridge (small map based on the top of the dam)

Quarry day

Market

The server is a limited life server 3 on TDM 5 on HH

All are welcome, but please observe server rules