[now Enjoying Vista With Sp1]

Papa6

You Ain't Gunna Believe This...

I finally got Vista business installed (again) "AND" updated with SP1 and it works fine. I think it would've gone alot better had vista released at the time SP1 but business is business and time is money.

I have to say that I like Vista conservatively for now.

anyone else enjoy Vista more now with the release of SP1?

-Papa6

nope. I got Vista to run the way I wanted it to.

My Vista is running as well as XP had for me. Since I'm doing 90% of my work in photography, I don't need a lickety-split PC. Just to download my photos. :P

Edited by Papa6

Been using Vista Ultimate for about 7 months or so now, and using the 64-bit version for the last several weeks. I have to say I'm pretty pleased with it, especially with SP1 installed. Everything seems snappier and quicker on it than when I used XP Pro, although the only downside I've had so far is that the boot times are a little bit (ie 20-30 seconds) longer. After that though, smooth sailing.

For me the hardest part about changing the OS is how freaking expensive the software is. It's well over a $100 investment.

For me I just don't know if I can spend that much until I really knew what it was on the newer OS that I absolutely had to have. I guess I just haven't researched all the features yet. For me it's just the simple fact that everything runs fine at it's current state so why change unless I absolutely have to? I would even hate to have to buy another xp OS since they are still usually around $100 as well.

I got mine for free. When Vista was releasing, the business version first, I got involved in a campaign. A campaign that went like this.

1. Watch 3 videos about Vista, features..yada yada yada.

2. before having completed #1, register your name and address(to send you a copy by mail)

3. Install.

So, I "think" I saved several hundred dollars on the OS. If it worked or not, I'm out nothing.

But as of now, the OS works smoothly.

I'm using an older PC too. A PC with an AMD 3700+, 2GB ram, 160GB HDD and my now old ATI X1800 GTO 256MB ram

So MS did something to lower the spec requirements or make it run smoother.

I installed SP1 on Monday (actually Tuesday morning) and it took about an hour to do, but I had already done most of the security upgrades along with hot fixes and the like over the past year. I haven't really noticed much yet, but have been pretty satisfied with Vista save for a few things, but I can't test that out until I get home.

Dear GOD yes, I agree, about an hour to update to SP1. I let the OS do the updates itself other than SP1. when I first tried to install this Vista on my PC, i couldn't even get the OS to give me a performance rating, my CPU was running at 80-100% oh man, what a mess. Do you think Whiteknight that MS went back and just got rid of alot of stuff just to Get Vista to run..dare I say this well?

I do like the games folder, nice and neat area to place your games unlike the Windows before. But Vista runs as well I need it to and does what I need it to.

Added: I found a website at; http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791 where you can download the Service Pack for vista through one of two ways.

either as a windows update or the standalone package. Just be forewarned that it does take a long time to install but worth it. I think everyone who buys new PC's get Vista with Service Pack 1 with it already, others of us, yours truly..had to download it. :shifty:

Nothing was removed. It still has everything it came with. SP1 didn't make much difference for me but i didn't have issues.

What probably happened papa, is that Vista SP1... included a lot of up to date drivers. I bet one covered your mainboard and fixed the issue.

Good to hear. I'm on 64bit business now, but have the 64bit ultimate sitting next to me. Will upgrade to that once i get 4gb of ram.

One little tidbit...

Something Home vista's cant' do... right click any folder under your C drive and click properties. Go to previous versions. It's a godsend. Enjoy!

Oh and business doesn't have a dvd codec due to business use. Download k-lite. It will cover it for you.

thanks Roco. Will do eventually. I see Business has very few features as a whole but, Businesses don't need a whole lot.

wait, Roco, you have 64bit Business and 64bit ultimate. why do you have to upgrade your ram with ultimate and NOT 64bit business?

thanks Roco. Will do eventually. I see Business has very few features as a whole but, Businesses don't need a whole lot.

wait, Roco, you have 64bit Business and 64bit ultimate. why do you have to upgrade your ram with ultimate and NOT 64bit business?

64 bit ultimate has the media center. I probably don't "need too" but i want to mess with the dreamscene background (the full movie /video background)

I probably won't use it much but there aren't many reasons for me to change except the experience. (Ultimate doesn't sell well due to price... i think we have only sold like 3 total where as we have 100's of business and home premiums out there)

Watch this...

Not a fan of the music but it's cool

More info

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e...804b991033.mspx

oh... check this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og-PkLfiN6w

Awesome!

I want to test it with running games at the same time to gauge the overall performance hit. Our action pack finally sent us a 64bit version so i can take advantage of over 2gb (3gb with 3gb switch) of ram.

Programs designed to run x86 won't notice much, if any, improvement. Technically it should run fine though. All the games I've tried on Vista Ultimate 64 have worked just fine. In Crysis I've noticed a mild increase in FPS (about 2 or 3, which actually works out to something like 10%) when running the 64-bit version over the 32-bit.

Until programs are designed with 64-bit in mind you won't have any notable difference.

The Operating system can use the full 4gb meaning the x86 wll actually get to use the full 2gb instead of having pci devices and such hogging up the memory map. Overall it will increae x86 to a degree, but also will increase the ram available to the O/S greatly.

The Operating system can use the full 4gb meaning the x86 wll actually get to use the full 2gb instead of having pci devices and such hogging up the memory map. Overall it will increae x86 to a degree, but also will increase the ram available to the O/S greatly.

A wise PC guy taught me that bits are like lanes on a highway. 32bits = 32 lanes on a highway and 64...64 lanes.. so 64 bits can push more than 32 bits. more traffic

also the ram issue has to due with how limited the 32 bit versions are in terms of recognizing a ceiling limit. back about 5 or 10 years ago, when we had only 32bit OSes, we had no need for more that 4GB of ram..oh have the times changed. :rolleyes:

Edited by Papa6

anyone else enjoy Vista more now with the release of SP1?

I use both Vista Home Premium (wife and kids) and Ultimate (for myself) on a regular basis, and I've had SP1 installed on the Home Premium for a week (used the standalone installer). Honestly, I can't tell any difference for what I do since SP1 was installed

Funny enough, we were having probs with one of my kids' games (Lego Star Wars) in Vista (crashing), and since SP1 there was one software compatibility update that came out that fixed compatiblity with a whole bunch of software including that one!

I agree that for ease of viewing/organizing photos/video etc, Vista beats XP in terms of usability.

I personally like Vista, but I wouldn't recommend anyone happily running XP right now to upgrade to Vista.

I'll take a stand fora moment and say..yes, SP1 has made a HUGE difference with my Compaq PC. It wouldn't even rate my PC due to "interference". My CPU meter ran at 80-100% and wouldn't let up. now, it is all good.

A wise PC guy taught me that bits are like lanes on a highway. 32bits = 32 lanes on a highway and 64...64 lanes.. so 64 bits can push more than 32 bits. more traffic

also the ram issue has to due with how limited the 32 bit versions are in terms of recognizing a ceiling limit. back about 5 or 10 years ago, when we had only 32bit OSes, we had no need for more that 4GB of ram..oh have the times changed. :rolleyes:

I remember in college when a 20mb hard drive was big and 16mb of ram was but a dream.

I remember my dads old buddy has a PC and a modem. It was funny but he logged on to a San Fransisco bulletin board. He showed me how to get around the place and THAT was before we had 7Mhz CPU's.

I also remember when I owned a commodore Amiga 500 and bought the 512KB card and got 1MB ram...that's a joke now.

I used Apple II e's in 8th grade, or was it just Apple II's? so long ago.. :rofl: