vehicle AI graph

fishmonger

anyone know if the vehicle AI graph must be exported like the human AI graph? I know once exported, I can take the code for the human AI graph out of the world.xml, but the vehicle graph I usually keep in there.

I have a new map where suddenly none of the vehicles move once triggered, and yesterday they still did move. Some changes were made to the AI graph for them, but I just keep rebundling the world file for that. Perhaps that's where th problem lies? Script can't be the issue - the part that worked last night is now not working - vehicle spawns, but does not move.

the graph is in one piece - no interruptions, no orphaned links anywhere. All I did not do since modifying it last is export the AI graph from the editor ('cause I removed the human graph code from the world file after the final export of that). Guess I may have to add the human graph back in and re-export so I get a new AI graph binary - but I'd like to avoid that if the vehicle data is not part of that file.

ai graph is ai graph, i think u will need to render it new.

did it - makes no difference. If I remove all other stuff from the map and spawn just the vehicles they move. Spawning them in the proper map with all AI and they don't leave their spawn location.

It may be because I trigger all vehicles as random events, rather than just with the AI - have to test that. It works on smaller maps to have vehicles spawn with random events, but this one may be too large.

should work, i did random event spawns with panhards and tanks on ciudad juarez. worked all good.4 tanks and 24 panhards :P

is the driver still in the car? or is he leaving the car as soon as it spawns? i had that happen in on juarez, there it was becouse of the vehicle graph. make sure u have a knotpoint right were the panhard spawns. that fixed my problem.

maybe yours is the same type.

is the driver still in the car? or is he leaving the car as soon as it spawns? i had that happen in on juarez, there it was becouse of the vehicle graph. make sure u have a knotpoint right were the panhard spawns. that fixed my problem.

maybe yours is the same type.

driver and crew stay in the panhard - crew even stays in it after a GL hit so you can walk up and chat with the card-playing crew in the back before you shoot them.

I can move the graph to be right on the vehicles where that isn't the case already, but basically, it all works when I don't spawn any of the human AI other than the crews. Once the map is busy, the vehicles don't move.

Helicopters work, though - so I am still hoping to find a problem with the AI graph (will redo the vehicle graph from scratch today - reduce it in size somewhat to what is needed and no more). My plan B is to use only helicopters in the map, except they are pretty harmless for the most part. It just won't be as random as I would like it if, plus without the panhard crews I will need to beef up some of the AI spawns to balance the zones on the map

I can't wait to make a simple map again - this one has taken well over 2 weeks already...

Edited by fishmonger

I can't wait to make a simple map again - this one has taken well over 2 weeks already...

lmao! 2 weeks is nothing m8, i m working on my 1 at least 2 month :blink:

and now i might dump it, am just not in the mapmacking mood anymore. :wall:

all depends on how many hours you put in during those two months... this map is easily a 100 hour project. Could have made 10 maps based on existing terrain in that time frame.

Fixed the vehicle thing by brute force - they now all have their own trigger area and that works. Cannot use random events on those either - once any randomness is introduced, nothing moves. Guess the map is just too big for that.

Whatever - testing it tonight - close to final. So I made them pseudo random by placing small trigger areas into some zones people may walk in, increased the triggr time required and in some cases require more than on ghost to be in the areas, as I really don't want all of them to appear each time the map is played. Rather none, then all, and if it's just 2 or 3, that's just fine.

i put a lot of hours in that map. dont know how much, but deffenitly more than 200. am on world 175 now. (damn how bored must i have been :P )

statics and probs should be done, unless i find corners that i dont like.

started the ai graph 2 days ago, but the editor is going a bit nuts at me, so i need to cut stuff out and bring it in later.

the map is the biggest i ever made, and was planed as a campain with at least 4 missions. maybe it could fit more.

i really dont know if i finish it or not, but the layer is deffenitly worth it! we´ll see in the future.

btt:

how are u useing the random trigger on it? let the panhard spawn, and the trigger random for the waypoint?

or spawn and the waypoint in 1 event?

btt:

how are u useing the random trigger on it? let the panhard spawn, and the trigger random for the waypoint?

or spawn and the waypoint in 1 event?

world_151 here last night - probably a few more before it's done.

what didn't work was this:

<event name="activate_wave05">

<element type="TriggerRandomEvent" event1="northtank1" chance1="15" event2="northtank2" chance2="30"  event3="northtank3" chance3="45" event4="panhard01" chance4="65" start_time="3"/>

<element type="ActivateRandomGroup" group1="area05alpha" chance1="30" group2="area05beta" chance2="60" group3="area05charlie" chance3="80" group4="area05delta" chance4="95" start_time="1"/>

<element type="UnitInArea" area="area05" state="deactivate" start_time="5"/>

</event>

<event name="northtank1">

<element type="ActivateVehicle" vehicle_id="tank01" start_time="4.0"/>

<element type="OrderTank" vehicle_id="tank01" order="move" ai="true" world_x="17931" world_y="7530" start_time="2.0"/>

</event>

<event name="northtank2">

<element type="OrderTank" vehicle_id="tank01" order="move" ai="true" world_x="21447" world_y="8801" start_time="5.0"/>

</event>

<event name="northtank3">

<element type="OrderTank" vehicle_id="tank01" order="move" ai="true" world_x="-17168" world_y="24729" start_time="1.0"/>

</event>

<event name="panhard01">

<element type="ActivateVehicle" vehicle_id="panhard01" start_time="1.5"/>

<element type="OrderCar" vehicle_id="panhard01" order="move" position="18276 6635 725" start_time="4.0"/>

</event>

this exact same method worked just fine in Quest_for_Peace, however, that's a much smaller map and takes 300mb less RAM to load. It also works on this map if I don't spawn the AI RandomGroup in the same event.

good luck with that big map - my current project was very similar in terms of having to constantly remove layers from the world file to work on new stuff. Especially the random AI forced me to create about 10 batches of AI to keep the frame rate in the editor above 10 - below that it becomes a pain to work these things. There are about 800 soldiers configured on my map, even though you probably will only see 110-200, depending on route and game mode (respawn and going everywhere got me 196 kills during a test)

I can't wait to start on my next "easy" map that recycles the Guardrail IX mission map- thin AI, very recon-like with random small contacts, highly unpredictable...

i m still sure it doesnt have anything to do with the size.

the juarez map seems bigger than yours, and has more ai on it. (over 1100) plus a ###### lot of vehicles.

if its cracking up when u have the random groups spawn,

is it on every group or just a single 1?

maybe the ai is interfering the ai graph or blocking it for a sec that a vehicle cant connect to it.

who knows ;)

i m still sure it doesnt have anything to do with the size.

the juarez map seems bigger than yours, and has more ai on it. (over 1100) plus a ###### lot of vehicles.

if its cracking up when u have the random groups spawn,

is it on every group or just a single 1?

maybe the ai is interfering the ai graph or blocking it for a sec that a vehicle cant connect to it.

who knows ;)

I gave up on it - random spawn failed every time, one vehicle or four in the trigger. Single vehicle spawn without random only worked sometimes, never on the full map on the dedicated server. It could be related to the custom landscape the vehicle graph runs over or the amount of memory the map takes. It may not be as big as yours, but it takes a ton or RAM to load. There are sewers under it, layers of terrain cover up the orginal mission 5 landscape in some areas to give you another elevation layer, and then it's rather loaded with buildings and detail.

Bottom line - I just dumped all vehicles other than helis. Those work fine - so it's probably terrain or ai graph related after all. Final version of this one is coming Saturday when I'll have time to take another look at it