Having trouble saving a map

AJ59

Start messing around with the Editor a bit and am using the "ogr_dam" map to start with.

I have followed the instructions in the tutorial and created a "tutorial" folder like so:

F:\GRAW2\Data\levels\custom_levels\tutorial

within this folder I have ambient_cubes.bin and world_info.xml files as well as a xml folder containing another ambient_cubes.bin file plus:

massunit.bin

unit_list.xml

world.xmb

world.xml

These were all extracted from the original ogr_dam_bundle file

So... I start up the Editor and eventually find myself floating in the air over the river below the dam.

I fly around a bit and go to near the wrecked van near the spawn.

Next I play around with the functions a bit and manage to place another van near the first, rotated a bit so I will know it is different. I open the cmd console so I can see what is happening and then Save the level with Ctrl S, which I see saves a new world_1.xml file into a different directory:

/data/levels/ogr_dam/xml/world_1.xml

Next I exit the Editor and want to open it up again just to see if my changes are in fact there. So I copy the newly created files in the new "ogr_dam" directory back into the "tutorial" directory.

But when I open up the Editor again and fly back down to the spawn... there is only the original van?

I have gone thru all three tutorial books and can't see anything about what happens to these files when saved.

Just what am I missing?

And how do I delete that other van that is setting there. I don't see to be able to select it at all when in the Dynamic Layer.

P.S.

I found this comment from GrinWolfsong in an old thread about saving maps in the Editor:

Also notice that it says you should NOT create your own folder. If the folder already exists when you start the editor, the texture folders will not be created and not linked to your texture scope.

Might this mean that I have to delete that newly created (in this case) "ogr_dam" folder after I copy the files back to "tutorial" to be able to open them up and further edit?

Or am I just a total ######?

Edited by AJ59

I'm not sure what is going on with your folder structure, but since you found the world_1.xml we will work from there. To see the changes when re-entering your map, you will need to replace your world.xml with your newly saved world_1.xml. Delete the world.xml and simply rename the world_1.xml to world.xml. Go back into your editor and you should see your changes.

I guess I forgot to add that I did do that, I replaced the world.xml with the most recently one created. This was one of the first things I tried after I managed to open the console and saw that a new world.xml file was created each time I saved.

So then I tried copying the new world.xml back up to the "tutorial" folder since the editor.bat tells the editor to start there.

Do I also need to delete that "world.xmb" file that is sitting there? What does it do? I see it is compiled code of some sort.

I did forgot to add that rather than risk screwing up my entire GRAW2 install and as I have plenty of room, I just copied the entire directory tree and files into a "parallel" set up, with "GRAW2_test" as the root folder off my harddrive.

Since it is loading up the ogr_dam map I assume it is working correctly. And, just to make sure, in my normal install I am running Brettzies weapon mod and in this "test" install I am not. So when I start the "test" game I do not see the different video. And I have deleted all the extra "custom_levels" map bundles.

Edited by AJ59

I do wish there was a bit more info as to what files are required. The tutorials don't say a whole lot about this.

I did notice that you can not open a map in the editor without having a "world_info.xml" file present at the same level as the tutorial folder.

Looking into this folder, I see basically all the paths listed point to /data/levels/ogr_dam/xml/...

for the world.xml, massunit.bin, mission.xml, environments.xml, texture scope.xml.... and all the other files.

Of course all of these are not present.

Do I need to change the path to the 'tutorial' folder, or should I just change my editor.bat file to point to this "ogr_dam" folder instead? :hmm:

Finally figured it out. I guess this process is so much "fun" that people just have too much "fun" when they are done, and thus the outcome never gets added to the tutorial.

After changing the path to the world.xml file in the world_info.xml file, I was able to open the map that I had modified.

I don't know.. maybe the Editor tutorial even does say this.. I just didn't get it.

Next question: How do I delete something on the map besides the new dynamic object that I place, which I can select. But I can not select ones that are already there?

I guess something is done to these maps when done to 'glue' everything in place?

Start messing around with the Editor a bit and am using the "ogr_dam" map to start with.

I have followed the instructions in the tutorial and created a "tutorial" folder like so:

F:\GRAW2\Data\levels\custom_levels\tutorial

within this folder I have ambient_cubes.bin and world_info.xml files as well as a xml folder containing another ambient_cubes.bin file plus:

massunit.bin

unit_list.xml

world.xmb

world.xml

These were all extracted from the original ogr_dam_bundle file

So... I start up the Editor and eventually find myself floating in the air over the river below the dam.

I fly around a bit and go to near the wrecked van near the spawn.

Next I play around with the functions a bit and manage to place another van near the first, rotated a bit so I will know it is different. I open the cmd console so I can see what is happening and then Save the level with Ctrl S, which I see saves a new world_1.xml file into a different directory:

/data/levels/ogr_dam/xml/world_1.xml

Next I exit the Editor and want to open it up again just to see if my changes are in fact there. So I copy the newly created files in the new "ogr_dam" directory back into the "tutorial" directory.

But when I open up the Editor again and fly back down to the spawn... there is only the original van?

I have gone thru all three tutorial books and can't see anything about what happens to these files when saved.

Just what am I missing?

And how do I delete that other van that is setting there. I don't see to be able to select it at all when in the Dynamic Layer.

P.S.

I found this comment from GrinWolfsong in an old thread about saving maps in the Editor:

Also notice that it says you should NOT create your own folder. If the folder already exists when you start the editor, the texture folders will not be created and not linked to your texture scope.

Might this mean that I have to delete that newly created (in this case) "ogr_dam" folder after I copy the files back to "tutorial" to be able to open them up and further edit?

Or am I just a total ######?

you must verify the path inside the graw2editor.bat

you must verify the path inside the graw2editor.bat

Considering that the sample in the tutorial shows only one word for that path, I don't really understand.

I changed the path in the world_info.xml and it works.

So what is up with that path in the editor? is the rest of the path assumed to be:

GRAW2/data/levels/custom_levels?

Anything and everything can be removed.

Remember there are 2 x dynamic layers and 3 x static layers.

When in static layer, left click on object. If it doesn`t highlight press ctrl + 2 and try again in static layer 2. If still no, press ctrl + 3 and try again in layer 3. You will see the list change on the right.

Same for dynamic, only there is ctrl + 1 and ctrl + 2 to worry about.

Once highlighted, press delete. This can also effect the map appearance, if the object has already had shadows cast.

Good luck

To see the changes when re-entering your map, you will need to replace your world.xml with your newly saved world_1.xml.

This is not true, although i used to think it was too. the world.xml file is also updated each time you save. When done and happy, just delete all other files. If you notice the file size, it will match the highest save file you have.

:)

To see the changes when re-entering your map, you will need to replace your world.xml with your newly saved world_1.xml.

This is not true, although i used to think it was too. the world.xml file is also updated each time you save. When done and happy, just delete all other files. If you notice the file size, it will match the highest save file you have.

Ha! This suggests that I KNEW about the ctrl 1, 2, 4 thing! How can I remember that?? :)

My problem was (well.. one of MANY!) is that the world_info.xml has a path to that other ogr_dam folder.

So it kept looking over there. Once I changed it to the tutorial folder it found it.

Of course.. all I really want to do is change the spawns.. to make them "progressive"... so all this is just for fun as I know I have to change some of the scripting.

But it's all a learning experience. Hopefully I will get it figured out before [GR:FS] comes out.

Thanks!

Anything and everything can be removed.

When in static layer, left click on object. If it doesn`t highlight press ctrl + 2 and try again in static layer 2. If still no, press ctrl + 3 and try again in layer 3. You will see the list change on the right.

Same for dynamic, only there is ctrl + 1 and ctrl + 2 to worry about.

Once highlighted, press delete. This can also effect the map appearance, if the object has already had shadows cast.

Good luck

Ah.... it didn't work.

I got into the editor... flew my way down to the van... and tried to select it after switching to the Dynamic layer.

ctrl 1... cltr 2... nada. Can't select it. I can select the other one I placed. But not the original.

Has something been done to that van and map so that it has become static?

Of course.. all I really want to do is change the spawns.. to make them "progressive"... so all this is just for fun as I know I have to change some of the scripting.

There are prob...2 ways (at least) to do progressive spawn.

1) Mostly you'll put locations onto the map that are referenced by triggers in the script every x seconds to see if any of the players (or sometimes others) are in the location. That then triggers the action to activate the enemy units.

eg. the following from mission #1... which checks every 2 seconds to see if any of the players are in the location "bridle_attack" and if so activates the enemy (and other stuff whic I rmoved for clarity).

<trigger name="t_bridge_attack" interval="2">
<condition type="UnitInLocation" location="bridge_attack" player_type="campaign_team" amount="1"/>
<event name="bridge_attack"/>
</trigger>

<event name="bridge_attack">
<element type="ActivateGroup" group_id="bridge_attack_driver" start_time="0.1"/>
<element type="ActivateGroup" group_id="bridge_attack_people01" start_time="0.2"/>
<element type="ActivateGroup" group_id="bridge_attack_people02" start_time="0.3"/>
[/code]

2) the other main one is to trigger enemy when other enemy die. same logic as above, just different trigger.

As for the object on the map... You do have a 4 button mouse I presume and it does work properly? (ie. clicking 4th button will allow you to move things?) I only ask as I have a Belkin 4 button mouse, but for some reason it does not work properly...can place units, but not move them, so I use my Logitech.

You may be best to just start with a fresh map. I know I had some weird things happen with paths for units and the only thing that worked for me was to start afresh. All good not.

Also, do not forget to create the ai path or the units will just stand there.

Edited by davros

Well.. I didn't realize that there IS a 'static' version of that van.. as a wreck. I was able to select it and remove it.

I shall try out that code you so kindly showed me.

I really do appreciate all the help you guys are giving me and sure hope I don't annoy anyone with all my questions.

Also having an issue selecting certain objects in the editor, not an issue here, but as AJ59 states, is a present problem.

Now is as good a time as ever to read the tutorials again. :P Look at the index and you usually seek the page you need. I`ve been banging my head for a while now, unable to rotate a tank using middle mouse button, :wall: now i see the keys i need to use.

Maybe we can hit up a hints / tips / warnings topic for using this grumpy editor?

Well.. I didn't realize that there IS a 'static' version of that van.. as a wreck. I was able to select it and remove it.

I shall try out that code you so kindly showed me.

I really do appreciate all the help you guys are giving me and sure hope I don't annoy anyone with all my questions.

No such thing as an annoying question. Ask questions often.

Would be good to have the option of an IM session too for interactive questioning. Perhaps something someone smarter than I can suggest..as I am not really IM literate.

btw...I'm in Aus. and it's early afternoon...You guys are UK and US yeah?

Any other Ausies modding on here?

Edited by davros

Australia?? You have computers in Australia? Wow. You must need a lot of batteries in the outback to run them.

There must be some kind of automatic universal translator in use as I am able to understand everything you type without noticing any accent at all! :P

I'll have to look, but I think it is possible to add stuff like AIM usernames into one's profile here on this website.

Just type s l o w l y s o I d o n o t g e t c o n f u s e d. . .

I live in the People's Republic of Maryland.