Ghost Recon.net Forums

Ubisoft buys rights to "Tom Clancy" name

Though things have gone decidedly downhill recently, you gotta give the man credit: He gave us OR6 and [GR].

Also, I kinda liked Red Storm Rising (the book), and I really loved the game. Best subsim I ever played :)

Respectfully

krise madsen

Ehem.... He didn't give you jack guys! WE wrote half the R6 story and he didn't even want to wright the damn thing. He was badgered into doing it as part of getting RSE off the ground. He also had NOTHING to do with [GR]. That was mainly Brian Upton's baby along with the rest of us that worked on it.

I think it's time for me to step out and lay it out for those that care..... Clancy did little more for RSE and it's games then to lend his name, LESS THAN a million bucks to start RSE and a half hearted effort at writing R6 the book.

People need to stop looking at that jack off like he is holly'er than thou. No offense to you Krise..... I am just speaking to the public and happened to quote you.

There. :thumbsup:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None taken :)

Hmm, nothing to do with it? Not very clever on his part IMO, given the smashing success. But it just gives all the more power to the OR6 and [GR] devs :thumbsup:

I suppose it went sorta downhill after Red Storm Rising. I read one of those Op Center books and it sucked big time.

Still, a lot of useful inspiration for games, even though much of it hasn't been exploited.

Respectfully

krise madsen

Ubisoft buys rights to "Tom Clancy" name

Great. Ubisoft finally has 100% rights to let all the franchises into a single universe for them to kill each other and suddenly join forces to defend earth from the incoming alien menace............ok wait. That's just my imagination running wild now. I don't think that's far from happening any time soon though. :lol:

Anyway. I never really had any attachment to Ubisoft and the 2 series are just average shooters now. No biggie. There's still ArmA and GB (not to mention the old R6 and GR games) anyway.

WE wrote half the R6 story and he didn't even want to write the damn thing. He was badgered into doing it as part of getting RSE off the ground.

wait a minute. He never wanted to write the R6 book? Well that's pretty stupid of him. It was actually a breath of fresh air after all the repetitive stuff he had written before it. Personally, R6 is still my favorite book (except for the crappy ending). I never knew he had such poor foresight. :ermm:

I guess all he cares about are writing books that have good ol' America killing off bad Russians, Chinese, and Arab insurgents. That's just my opinion though.

Edited by mark2000

wait a minute. He never wanted to write the R6 book? Well that's pretty stupid of him. It was actually a breath of fresh air after all the repetitive stuff he had written before it. Personally, R6 is still my favorite book (except for the crappy ending). I never knew he had such poor foresight. :ermm:

He used to only write a "original" book by him every couple of years. Back when RSE was started he was about to write another book, not sure which of the ones that have since came out it was, but since RSE was getting formed up and a counter terrorist game was on the table the main people involved convinced him to write R6. He had notes and ideas for a SOF type story, but it wasn't R6 that we all know today. The name Rainbow was coined in a meeting with Clancy, RSE high ups and Paramount Pictures execs. It's rumored that the Paramount exec came up with it and Clancy said yeah thats good. I wasn't in that room though. <_<

Like I said, a lot of the plot points and ideas came from RSE and the book and game were being worked on simultaneously. The guy has built a brand and I can't take that away from him and his name attached to RSE opened A LOT of doors, but to say the success of RSE or it's products has any other relation to him is just not true.

RSE and the developers are solely responsible for those games... plain and simple.

Spooky that and I also think R6 was probably one of the better books, if you want one that really sucks try Teeth of the Tiger, I still cant believe I finished it, thanks for the filling in the details of what really happened mate.

Does anybody actually read game magazine reviews of upcoming games anymore? I thought it was an established fact (or at least everyone knew) they were paid to give those good reviews.

Sorry but as someone with a bit more of background knowledge, I've got to say: That's simply BS. None is getting paid for reviews. Do you have any idea what would happen if some of the gaming magazines would really getting paid for a review and someone would find out? No gaming magazine publisher would risk that and definitely not a single one of the major game publishers either. It's an urban legend and actually more far away from the truth than a certain President from getting the Nobel Peace Prize. :rolleyes:

Every reviewer has a different opinion and reviews as well as previews, are only meant as reccommendations. Some people don't even read any reviews / previews and buy the game simply because of the style of the cover (which is probably the worst thing you can do).

However, I'm looking forward to play GB - as it seems to have a lot of potencial but I'm also looking forward to see what's going to happen with the rest of the Clancy inspired games.

When it comes to Splinter Cell, I'm hoping that Ubisoft will finally realize that it's better to set the Standard than to go by it, as they seem to do that at the moment. Dumping down a game might result in a better accessibility but it definitely won't make the game more fun - they should have learned that lesson from SCDA's multiplayer which simply was horrible in a lot of ways (I spent over 500 hrs playing SCPT's multiplayer demo as well as additional 500 on the final multiplayer of SCPT / SCCT's multiplayer but only 100 hrs at max in SCDA's multiplayer, simply because it didn't manage to motivate me as much as SCPT's/SCCT's which were unique and awesome in every aspect).

That said, they finally have introduced the Community Developers, which gives me a little more hope, especially considering Kimi is now at RSE. :) I'm still a bit concerned about R6 though. They should have realized by now that R6 Vegas style is not what we want to play on the PC and Therien's statement during the Livechat over at Eurogamer pretty much implies, that with the next game they will try to appeal a bit more to the PC Community ("We might have a few ideas on how to improve the current situation though"). I admit, though that this statement doesn't say a lot about what we can expect.

@HF

I didn't say Sam would color his hair, I only said that a lot of "old men" tend to color their hair and therefor I don't pay that much attention to it when it comes to Sam - although the grey sidewalls were nice. I have to disagree with you about a few other things though.

There was a actually a reason to make him visually younger. People expect from Tom Clancy games at least a bit more realism than from other games, so if they would have kept his age, the character would have become unbelievable the more games they release with him as lead character, plus they would sooner or later come to a point were Sam would have to die a natural way. While the latter would be realistic, you don't want to let a character die you've build up all these years, to become the ultimate symbole for the franchise, that's why Ubisoft decided to freeze his age in SCDA (one of the few right decisions they made for this game). In general ages in videogames are not that important (for example Super Mario would be an old man by now definitely not capable of rescuing Peach / Toadstool in another game and another and another...).

Sam actually didn't live in a world that's only right or wrong, his world was actually more grey than you might have realized it. In Pandora Tomorrow you not only had the choice offered to ignore a direct order, Sam also did some pretty impressive and political critic statements related to real world events like "There's only one nation fighting the entire world" which actually proofed that he thinks a lot more about the situation than a soldier who's only carrying out his orders.

Edited by Vth_F_Smith

Does anybody actually read game magazine reviews of upcoming games anymore? I thought it was an established fact (or at least everyone knew) they were paid to give those good reviews.

Sorry but as someone with a bit more of background knowledge, I've got to say: That's simply BS. None is getting paid for reviews. Do you have any idea what would happen if some of the gaming magazines would really getting paid for a review and someone would find out? No gaming magazine publisher would risk that and definitely not a single one of the major game publishers either. It's an urban legend and actually more far away from the truth than a certain President from getting the Nobel Peace Prize. :rolleyes:

Also, magazines are not generated by evil robots -- large groups of y'know, actualy human beings with some degree of morals and integrity touch these products, the idea that they're bound by sone mind of malevolent hive mind is laughable.

Quality is dubious, sure, but impartiality -- for the most part, aside from little moves like firing a loud mouthed editor writing almost unprofessionally harsh reviews of advertiser's products, isn't really in question.

No you didn't say old men. You said "Besides people who are getting older, tend to color their hair - so that didn't really bother me". That was how you justified Sam doing it. The fact is he doesn't have that kind of vanity. He is what he is. Have you never known anyone like that? :hmm:

Sam doesn't live in a gray world. That seems to be what you are missing. Sam lives in a world where OTHER people see shades of gray while he does not. He is the constant while they waver. He sees directly and he acts directly. He doesn't put his finger up in the air to see which way the wind is blowing. He sees, he investigates, and he acts. This is the nature of decisive people.

Here is a hint about age. Truly experienced SOF operators are not kids. By your standards freezing his age is okay. Fine. They just chose to freeze it at the wrong number. They should have left it at the point he was when first introduced. Freezing the age doesn't solve the very problem you bring up though, do you not see that? Sooner or later (by your standards) he has to die a natural death. Right? Do you believe people at 39 don't have to but people at 47 do?

You confuse thinking about a situation with beiong an automaton. Just because you think an analyze a matter doesn't mean you do not see things in black and white. You are confusing matters. Acting directly doesn't mean you are mindless. It means you make a sure determination between choices and you act. It isn't the result of lesser or poor analysis or failure to understand.

So I guess you missed the whole Atari paying off reviews for good Driv3r reviews. Or the whole Gamespot Jeff Gerstmann debacle of the Kane and Lynch scores. That brought to light serious issues with media's marketing departments putting pressure on the reviewers for higher scores. It might not be considered a direct payoff as was claimed with Atari and Driv3r, but it's still pretty much the same thing when a publisher threatens to pull at least tens of thousands of dollars in advertising revenue when they get a bad review. Notice, if I recall correctly, Jeff's review was never put back up by Gamespot. Also the mass exodus of reviewers from Gamespot lends weight to the validity of the claims by Gerstmann and others.

Those are just a few recent ones that were brought to light recently. If you think buy-offs in the review scene don't happen (be it games or movies or whatever), you are looking through some pretty good rose colored glasses.

Like I said, a lot of the plot points and ideas came from RSE and the book and game were being worked on simultaneously. The guy has built a brand and I can't take that away from him and his name attached to RSE opened A LOT of doors, but to say the success of RSE or it's products has any other relation to him is just not true.

RSE and the developers are solely responsible for those games... plain and simple.

Thank you for that insight. I had no idea. I no longer feel a sense of loss because of the "sell out" nature of this whole thing. While I enjoyed a few of his books, I found the later ones a lot of "work" to plough through. I guess I now know alittle why. I'm grateful for your and the rest of what was RSE for the work you did developing a great concept and the collaboration with TC for Rainbow. Then your work with R6 and GR games. Bravo and Thank you. I will be awaiting anxiously for whatever Ground Branch will have to offer. I promise I will support you with at least one purchase when you release - immediately at release. It's the least I can do to support your efforts to give the community here what it wants - even if it ends up not being exactly what I want (which I doubt will be the case).

Edited by FI_FlimFlam

Notice, if I recall correctly, Jeff's review was never put back up by Gamespot. Also the mass exodus of reviewers from Gamespot lends weight to the validity of the claims by Gerstmann and others.

Jeff's review was never removed. It's still up there, and always has been. I think there were some ill timed edits to it, if i remember correctly, that were called censorship, but gamespot was just cleaning up some really sloppy and unprofessional writing, and doing the same with their staff.

Yes, Gestermann was fired because Eidos buys ads with gamespot and he wrote a negative review about Kane and Lynch -- but not because he scored them low. He has a long history of causing controversy and he's not that good of a writer. I don't see why you wouldn't remove an employee who offers you nothing but subpar writing that offends people you want to have a good business relationship with.

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't aware that they left it up but butchered. Still it shows that persons or even a whole website/magazine can be "bought" - like Jeff's opinions or writing style or not (I didn't particularly)

Edited by FI_FlimFlam

Been away for a couple weeks and just read this news. First thing that came to mind was "nail in the coffin"

After observing things for years as webmaster for 3 Clancy game fansites (since even before GR and SC were a twinkle in Ubi's eye), Clancy and Ubi heading in this direction is no surprise. There's a lot of (unfortunately futile) anger and frustration directed to Ubi, especially from long-time R6/GR/SC fans, but personally I'm not angry or frustrated, just weary of Ubi.

Weary of the Ubi game designers need to "fix what ain't broken", weary of their need to copy the latest trends in movies/TV (24, Bourne) that just cheapen previously unique games, weary of Ubi's need to churn out an iteration every year to satisfy shareholders, weary of broken games that don't get the patches they need, etc etc.

I remember in the early days when anything R6 used to get my blood pumping. I just walked by a R6 Vegas 2 poster at a store the other day and hardly gave it a 2nd look.

The 3dR sites are still running, but the only things I post nowadays are either in support of RSE, or to support modders of the original RSE games.

Thanks to John for showing up to tell it like it was in the day. Anyone who has followed Clancy's behavior over the last decade knows that it's all about the $$ for him. With regards to the first page post about Clancy's speech, he's obviously a smart guy and not afraid to say it like he sees it, but the public's perhaps rosy perception of the man and reality are vastly different.

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't aware that they left it up but butchered. Still it shows that persons or even a whole website/magazine can be "bought" - like Jeff's opinions or writing style or not (I didn't particularly)

Honestly, I didn't care about it. Maybe my reaction would have been different if it would have happened to Geoff Keighley from Gametrailers (who really does a great job reviewing games in my opinion - very professional) but it wasn't and to be honest I don't think Gesterman leaving Gamespot has been a great loss (but that's personal preference). 0:) Edited by Vth_F_Smith
  • 3 weeks later...