Need help deleting file.

DooDaa

Hello,

I have a problem I've never faced before. I hope someone can give me any advice.

Okay...Several days ago I recorded a in-game movie using FRAPS and the end file was recorded in AVI format. This AVI movie file is not dependent on the FRAPS program. The movie file was about 3 gigs. Anyway I decided to delete the file but got a Windows message saying that "another program or person is using the file." ???

I then uninstalled the FRAPS program, deleted all references to FRAPS in my registry. The only files left was the FRAPS main folder and the video I made in it. When I tried to uninstall the video file I got the same message again. After I play this file I notice that a dllhost.exe service is started in the task manager.

I guess something is tied to this video file I made. Even after reboot I still get this message. The FRAPS website makes no mention of this. I checked Google regarding this issue, but no luck. I hate to keep this 3 gig file for no reason.

I hope someone can help me please, maybe its areally simple matter I overlooked...perhaps.

Thank you.

P.S. I'm not on a LAN or Shared Network. Also the file is not checked read-only. I ran Spybot twice and nobody has access to my computer.

Edited by DooDaa

Thanks for the reply.

I tried to delete the video file after I ended the dllhost.exe service in task manager but I am still unable to delete the file. The same message persists.

As for compressing the file, I cannot do anything with it. I can't even copy or move the file to another location. It seems as if something locked the file to prevent any alterations.

Any other advice please? This is starting to make me crazy. Any other methods deleting the file using the registry?

Thanks again.

Safe Mode might not work

Open a Command Prompt window and leave it open. Close all open programs.  Click

Start, Run and enter TASKMGR.EXE  Go to the Processes tab and End Process on

Explorer.exe.  Leave Task Manager open. Go back to the Command Prompt window and

change to the directory the undeletable file is located in.  At the command

prompt type DEL <filename>  where <filename> is the file you wish to delete.

Go back to Task Manager, click File, New Task and enter EXPLORER.EXE to restart

the GUI shell.  Close Task Manager.

If that doesnt work, plenty more advice on google :D

If you still cant get it done after trying the above, try this. If you were using real player to view it, real player has a habit of automatically running a TSR Program called realsched.exe. It remembers all media files you have played in real player, and it will tell the system that that file is in use when you try to delete it, and not let you.

Go into taskmanager, and end realsched.exe, then delete your file.

Okay,

Thanks for the replies but still can't delete this stupid file. I tried -

1) Safe Mode - Cannot delete file.

2) Tried what Rocky said - I typed at the command prompt - del<LFS 2003-04-30 22-34-29-17.avi> Complete line(C:\Documents and Settings\Francis>del<LFS 2003-04-30 22-34-29-17.avi>). It said "syntax of the command is incorrect".

Actually the file is in C:\Fraps but i don't think that should matter I hope. I typed C:\Fraps but could not get the command prompt to read C:\. I typed C:\ but didn't work. Maybe I'll try from a boot disk.

3) I don't have Realplayer and I used Window Media Player to play the file but it's not running when I try to delete the file.

Anyways thanks for the replies. I guess I'll try usenet.

2) Tried what Rocky said - I typed at the command prompt - del<LFS 2003-04-30 22-34-29-17.avi> Complete line(C:\Documents and Settings\Francis>del<LFS 2003-04-30 22-34-29-17.avi>). It said "syntax of the command is incorrect".

Actually the file is in C:\Fraps but i don't think that should matter I hope. I typed C:\Fraps but could not get the command prompt to read C:\. I typed C:\ but didn't work. Maybe I'll try from a boot disk.

I could tell you what you did wrong there but I guess its pointless now. Well done.

Ahhh, cmon now, tell him....it's never pointless. :D

The command line doesnt recognize the >< as part of the file name. It also didnt recognize the -, as that is a prelude to a switch. Also, if I'm not mistaken, in command prompt mode, all filenames are truncated down to 8 characters. Simply put, you typed in an invalid filename.

By the way DooDaa, how did you get it done?

Edited by phantom110565

Thanks, learned something.

I guess you know by know that my DOS knowledge is :wall: . I tried to study it a few years ago but a combination of boredom and pure fustration lead me to abort. Heh heh.... child of spoon fed GUI.

After Rocky mentioned using the command prompt to delete a file and you advising that a program or another dll file might be attached the the video file I made, I re-booted using my reboot disk and from there I checked my C drive directory.

Here is the weird thing. From my GUI shell, C:\Fraps showed only 1 file there even though I checked "show all hidden and system files". That was the movie file I made. Total size also matched the video file.

But in DOS, the Fraps folder had a whole bunch of other files in there. Then I thought about what you said about hidden TSR programs. I still could not delete the file from DOS. Now I know why. ;)

Anyways, I re-booted into Windows and checked my registry. Lo and behold I found the keys where stray dll and files was attached to my video file. Although I initially deleted all Fraps references using the "find next" command this particular key was not deleted. Something sneaky going on here.

So I deleted that key and was able to delete my stupid movie file.

Thanks again to the many people who came to my assistance. You're the best.