Something I noticed about the ghost AI

Has anyone ever noticed that the ghost AI seem to act quite dumber than the last game? To me, it feels like whatever shred of will to live that was present in them in the first game is totally absent here. They still do a good job of covering my back but when things get dirty, they're pretty much useless. I admit that it's finally nice to see them run to cover you specifically assigned them to use but what's the point of doing all that when they don't even use the bloody things? Every time I ask them to fire at will, all they do is stay in one place the entire time and pull out crappy shots at their targets until they either eventually kill the guy or run out of bullets and die from sheer retardation(...and bullets). In the first game, they'll know when to take cover when a hail of bullets come flying at them or,at least, move around alot in order to avoid becoming easy targets. I find this rather disappointing considering the fact that GRAW2 is actually way more linear and action-oriented than the first game(which screams the need for a more reliable and dynamic AI). A fact obvious to anyone after the first 3 missions.

Being more used to playing with AI than multiplayer in squad-based games, I actually find GRAW1 to be more enjoyable, performance instabilities aside. It's very straightforward but is, ironically, less linear than the sequel because I find myself in open spaces in GRAW1 alot more than in GRAW2 where you're mostly going through tight alleyways and roads with only the occasional forks to excuse itself as non-linear. The dynamic nature of the AI in the first game also means that all I need to do is point them at a general spot and they'll easily take care of themselves when dealing with infantry without the need of my help just as long as they're always close to each other and not fighting against tanks and MG placements.

With the stagnant AI in GRAW2, it feels like I'm being forced to fight more bad guys by myself than I should and usually end up running out of bullets during moments when I need it the most because I can never rely on my team to do anything more than being movable gun placements to cover all sides. Even that one is pretty much useless because the only directions that need cover most of the time are Front and Back and back is already wiped out of enemies unless the developers felt like spawning a scripted group of bad guys to shove bullets up my ass just for giggles, which fortunately never happened when I ran through the campaign.

To sum it up, I simply find GRAW2 to be less enjoying the the first game because of the said issues. Compared to GRAW2, the only problems I have with GRAW1 are the solo missions and performance instabilities(i had to set everything at low and off to simply play the game decently while, ironically, in GRAW2 everything is set at medium with only the textures at low and I can still play the game at above average FPS).

to note: everything I've said are all based from my experiences with both games. Anyone can easily have a different and possibly polar opposite opinion about all that I have mentioned.

Edited by mark2000

issues? nothing really. I was just ranting about how stagnant the AI is in GRAW2 compared to the one in GRAW1.

I don't even know why this was moved to Mods section....=/

Option 01: Upgrade system to full specs, the only way forward.

not really necessary since I can run GRAW2 quite well in medium settings(except for low textures).

The AI in GRAW2 is made for the player to control them more and actually be more of an tactical leader. Unlike the uncontrollable AI in GRAW1, which did more thing by themselves but didn't follow orders that good as the downside.

It's your job ad the team lead to tell them to which new cover to move and so on, hence making it possible for you to plan the tactics.

The AI in GRAW2 is made for the player to control them more and actually be more of an tactical leader. Unlike the uncontrollable AI in GRAW1, which did more thing by themselves but didn't follow orders that good as the downside.

It's your job ad the team lead to tell them to which new cover to move and so on, hence making it possible for you to plan the tactics.

Yeah, I noticed that. Unfortunately, most of the missions in GRAW2 require less tactics and more in-your-face firefights, which I may add isn't as much of the AI's forte as compared to the first game. Also, It would've been better if they actually knew how to use the cover you give them instead of sticking out like a sore thumb and firing at a guy until they run out of bullets. Heck, they don't even duck while reloading.

Although I guess when you look at it closer, it all still boils down to the level designs. To simplify things: it's either the maps need more of the GRAW1 AI OR the GRAW2 AI need more open spaced maps. Either way, one of those still would've been a better combination than the current game.

Anyway, this is just a simple rant. I understand that no amount of bickering will ever change what's already been done. I suppose, in the end, I just have to choose if I either want to play GRAW1 that has the strangest PC-to-Engine relations outside ArmA but with AI that's more useful in combat OR GRAW2 with more PC-friendly specs but with AI as useful as bullet magnet gun turrets and linear maps on par with Call of Duty 4. I COULD also just install [GR] again but then I'd have to deal with AI that can't even see a guy in front of him just because a small bush is partially blocking the way.

on a side-note:

how large do suppressors affect the ghost AI's accuracy? I've never really tried observing them properly while they are not using suppressors but their accuracy is so bad that it's hard not to notice. =/

Edited by mark2000

TBH, I think the decision to go for a more obedient and less independent Ghost AI for GRAW2 was the right decision, and kudo's to GRIN for that one. The thing is that the Ghost AI in GRAW1 regularly (I'd say several times per mission) flatly refused the most blatantly obvious course of action. One of their favorites was to insist on keeping cover (of all sizes and shapes) behind their back rather than between them and the enemy.

The enhanced transparencey (the rings showing you where they went) was also a plus, simply because the player knew what was going on with the other Ghost members. What the friendly AI in GRAW2 really missed was soul-switching. And non-linear gameplay, but that's another story :)

Respectfully

krise madsen

One of their favorites was to insist on keeping cover (of all sizes and shapes) behind their back rather than between them and the enemy.
As opposed to :AW2 where they do use cover but unfortunately tend to fire into said cover, instead of around it and into the enemy. :P

____

If you wade into the back pages of the PC section you might find a post from BoGRIN where he's states the reason behind it (less competent AI in :AW2) was due to :AW users complaining about the lack of control over the teammates. It was an either/or decision and they went with or...instead of trying to find a happy medium.

If you wade into the back pages of the PC section you might find a post from BoGRIN where he's states the reason behind it (less competent AI in :AW2) was due to :AW users complaining about the lack of control over the teammates. It was an either/or decision and they went with or...instead of trying to find a happy medium.

yeah. That's probably how it happened. And soul-switching, like kris mentioned, would've probably made things a whole lot better to support the "now obedient" AI. The AI in AW2 is quite similar to the old AI in [GR] in the way that they're really incompetent when handling things by themselves but are very obedient to your orders so a little bit of freedom to give them your personal touch while on the spot would've been nice.

Though the [GR] AI, unlike in AW2, could easily snipe guys from far away just by using the iron sights of an M16. (well, that's IF they actually spot the guy first which has been the source of an enormous amount of headaches for me)

As opposed to :AW2 where they do use cover but unfortunately tend to fire into said cover, instead of around it and into the enemy.

OR one would move around the cover, start firing at the enemy and just keep firing his gun until either one of them dies because he had somehow forgotten that there's a cover nearby he can use.

I'm no stranger to the whole "firing AT cover" incident though. On those few moments where they'll actually duck down behind their cover, they'll immediately forget how to stand-up and keep firing at their cover the moment I give them an assault order. :lol:

Edited by mark2000

One of their favorites was to insist on keeping cover (of all sizes and shapes) behind their back rather than between them and the enemy.
As opposed to :AW2 where they do use cover but unfortunately tend to fire into said cover, instead of around it and into the enemy. :P

____

I wouldn't know what can and can't be done, but given a choice between the two, I'd go for the obedient dummies any day.

Respectfully

krise madsen

I wouldn't know what can and can't be done, but given a choice between the two, I'd go for the obedient dummies any day.

Respectfully

krise madsen

personally, when the ###### hits the fan and I'm suddenly being forced to fight off waves of baddies, I'd rather have guys who can take care of themselves to fight alongside me.

Either that or obedient dummies with godlike aim.:lol:

Edited by mark2000