US Airforce Choose Airbus Over Boeing

Dick Splash

• 1 month later...

id imagine that getting bases for 777 sized tankers wouldnt be too difficult. im pretty sure the US has enough bases and bases belonging ot friendly nations within close enough range to any potential warzone where it wouldnt be a problem. its not as if they would have to be based on the front lines either.

Edited by Whistle

I guess you have never seen a Galaxy loaded with 3 Phrogs take off in 3000 feet on a 9000 ft. runway have you?

I've seen them operate out of small airfields as well mate.

The airfield restriction is worse for twin engine airframes due to the asymetric thrust issues assosciated with loosing one engine on take off and having another at full power. C-5 isn't effected by this obviously....

As to airframe stress air superioty fighters who spend a lot of time in the high G environment have different issues to the C5.

@ Whistle... given the A330 is also a larger airframe there's no reason the 777 can't operate from similar airfields...it also offers a better fuel offload capability.

• 2 weeks later...

And now it's aparently all over for both Boeing and Airbus.

DoD Announces Termination of KC-X Tanker Solicitation

:rofl:

Would be interesting to know just how much money they have sunk into the whole KC-X solicitation project just to scrap it due to the upcoming administration change....damn glad it isn't my taxmoney that's for sure!

• 1 month later...