Buying a 360

Tinker

I am to buy a 360 at the weekend. I never used my basic xbox, and never went on line too. If the 360 ends on the shelf next to it, then so be it.

What do I need basically? Is there a package that contains everything i will need, hard drive and on line kit etc... Only need the 1 controller.

Are keyboard and mouse being used? If so, any recommendations?

Any extras i should think about?

Cheers.

:)

I am to buy a 360 at the weekend. I never used my basic xbox, and never went on line too. If the 360 ends on the shelf next to it, then so be it.

What do I need basically? Is there a package that contains everything i will need, hard drive and on line kit etc... Only need the 1 controller.

Are keyboard and mouse being used? If so, any recommendations?

Any extras i should think about?

Cheers.

:)

I'm not sure about what packages they offer in the UK, but you should be able to find a premium kit which includes everything you need. Comes with wireless controller, 20 gig hard drive, headset for online play, hi def cables etc for $350 usd.

To get online the only thing you have to pick up is a live membership which is around $50 a year at most places. I have seen places have it for cheaper or different specials. There is already an ethernet port on the console so you don't have to buy anything special other then the membership to play online.

When I had an xbox 360 I did use a keyboard and mouse adapter, which was just ok. To me, the games were just coded to be played on the controller and it can be pretty cumbersome trying to get all the settings right on the keyboard and mouse.

My advice though is to wait if you can until closer to this summer. Just to see if Microsoft announces any new packages or discounts. But if you do get one this weekend also make sure the package you get is the version of the 360 that has an HDMI port. Also look around on the web about how to tell whether or not the xbox you are getting has the new falcon chip or if it's the old Zepher or however you spell it. I'd find the links, but I'm at work at the moment.

Hope any of that helps.

When I had an xbox 360 I did use a keyboard and mouse adapter, which was just ok. To me, the games were just coded to be played on the controller and it can be pretty cumbersome trying to get all the settings right on the keyboard and mouse.

I can understand this, but i have no interest in trying to use the controller. I`ve never even played a GR2 mission yet. :angry: A firefight or defend was enough for me to get too annoyed with this new hand held gadget. I think i sat in the corner and cried a little too. Maybe in time i will try it, but if i can get away with a keyboard for now, that would be great.

My advice though is to wait if you can until closer to this summer. Just to see if Microsoft announces any new packages or discounts. But if you do get one this weekend also make sure the package you get is the version of the 360 that has an HDMI port. Also look around on the web about how to tell whether or not the xbox you are getting has the new falcon chip or if it's the old Zepher or however you spell it. I'd find the links, but I'm at work at the moment.

Will be a weekend purchase.

Highlighted bits are the sort of info i am after, thnx.

:thumbsup:

I don't know if they exist in the UK but there are businesses here in the states that have a price drop refund policy. What this means is if you buy a product from them and they drop the price withing 30 days then you can get the difference back by bringing in your sales receipt. I mention this because there are strong rumors this morning of a end of March 360 price drop. Especially if the NPD numbers for Febrary do not look good and odds are they won't. This way you get get a bit of extra cash back.

You might want to heed what he said about the KB/M adapter. I have tried them before and know for a fact that he is right. They do not work well and you will wind up getting pasted by guys running controllers.

Here you go Tinker.

You'll have to read reviews on it to see how other people like it. I liked it better then the ps2 version.

Here a link with a video to watch it in action. http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/peripherals/xcm...tion-223963.php

Here's another sites review of it: http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=13000

Do you have an HD tele? If not you'll have to look at my guide on how to connect it to your pc monitor. http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=48962

I don't know if they exist in the UK but there are businesses here in the states that have a price drop refund policy. What this means is if you buy a product from them and they drop the price withing 30 days then you can get the difference back by bringing in your sales receipt.

Most major highstreet stores in the UK do offer this although I would check out the store in questions policy before purchase just to be sure. I know i took advantage of this when we bought the Xbox and it dropped a far bit within weeks

Don't forget you get 3 accounts that gives you 1 month free Xbox LIVE. So for a start you can make a account and get a free month and than make another and so on for up to 3 months free of xbox LIVE. Or you can use them all up at one time when friends come over so you both can get on LIVE.

From the sounds of it you want the prem x360 or the elite. Stay away from the arcade version! Almost all the x360 in the stores now have the new chips so its a good change you will get one. The x360 has been selling out pretty good lately so all the old ones should be gone. It has everything in the box you need, but a rechargeable battery pack. I think they range from $20 to $30. As for the K/M the x360 supports a Keyboard but not a mouse, Sorry! I don't know if there is adopters out there like last Gen that will allow you to use them. There might be never looked into it. So from here all you have to do is get ready to choose from a great list of games. Don't forget you can DL tons of Demos/videos to check out must the games you may want to get before you even go out and buy it.

Don't forget you get 3 accounts that gives you 1 month free Xbox LIVE. So for a start you can make a account and get a free month and than make another and so on for up to 3 months free of xbox LIVE. Or you can use them all up at one time when friends come over so you both can get on LIVE.

:zorro:

That`s handy to know, thnx.

If the new Falcon chip increases the lifespan of the 360 and there is another price cut to boot, I just may jump on one.

I bought my old Xbox four years ago, and it has functioned flawlessly. To me personally, spending time returning a product, dealing with customer service, etc... is just not worth it. I may not game a whole lot, but at one point my DVD player conked out, so I was using my Xbox in the interm. I have run the Xbox quite a bit because of this, and still it runs like a champ.

I always wait a couple years when a new product hits the market, and so far I have been very happy with that strategy.

Edited by FA sear