One of Sony's biggest franchises returns

Hatchetforce

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3166758

With the popular SOCOM franchise set to make its debut on the PlayStation 3 this year via SOCOM Confrontation, fans are psyched, and we are too. The latest issue of EGM has just arrived in mailboxes across the nation, but we're already looking ahead to our next ish, which will feature an exclusive hands-on look at Confrontation's full 32-player online battles. Hopefully that's enough to get you hungry, but in the mean time we've rounded up a couple brand new screenshots to really whet your appetite.

SOCOM2.jpg

SOCOM1.jpg

More info surfaces:

http://kotaku.com/363359/sony-show-a-littl...com-for-the-ps3

Ah, SOCOM. On the PS3. Forgot all about it. I'm probably not the only one, which explains Sony's recent marketing push for the game, with a big feature due in next month's EGM and a couple of screens posted up on the PlayStation Blog. The EGM feature, it's not here yet, but the screens, they are. One's above, the other after the jump (click on either to embiggen them). Oh, and if you're wondering about the new camera angle, developers SealTeam-6 would like you all to know that the game will ship with an option to revert to the "classic" SOCOM camera view.

Larger screens on the ones above here:

http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2008/03/SOCOM1.jpg

http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2008/03/SOCOM2.jpg

Maybe they'll actually have a release date in their next issue. The information on this game has been cold the last several games. This game was originally suppose to come out before Christmas.

I mean seriously, there is no single player and there will only be 5 maps when it's released and they are taking forever. Hopefully the wait will be worth it and they actually are polishing this game up with the extra time. Socom is a fun mp game. Maps look good though.

I can't wait to play some updated crossroads.

Ok, so I was reading on the confrontation boards over at Sony and it looks like they weren't able to say anything because they had a contract with EGM to give them exclusive rights to dish out the info. Man that really bothers me as a consumer, especially since the magazine won't hit the shelves for another month. I can understand they want the money but as a consumer I love little updates and tidbits of info as they become available.

I guess that's just how the industry goes. The slant 6 team though is doing a good job at keeping relations strong though with the community. Their new community manager seems like she is on top of things and cares about answering questions. I just pray that they implement some home features in this game. If done right this will be the biggest only game the ps3 has.

I actually expect Killzone 2 to outsell it. That should be arriving this fall. The team is already playing multiplayer and Eon says that have been doing so for some time.

But SOCOM is going to pull a lot of PS2 owners that haven't entered next gen yet. I was on SOCOM II and 3 (don't know why they changed from roman numerals) last night and everyone I spoke to that didn't own a PS3 already was simply waiting on this release to buy theirs. I am really looking foraward to Crossroads and especially the Breach modes. Most teamwork I have ever seen in a MP game...ever.

Edited by Hatchetforce

Uhm, I have SOCOM US Navy Seals for the PS2, came ina kinda big box with a headset, and I've never even played it. Should I?

Absolutely. First there is the way it looks. Yes it is a PS2 title but the animations and mocap are something else. Extremely fluid movement. Yes it is 3rd person (1st person zooms on scopes) but you start to realize this can actually increase immersion in some ways by allowing SA and providing a body awareness. There are some really great moments in those games and more than a few good map layouts. I really would like to hear what you think about it Rocky.

I was running the first one less than a month ago.

Uhm, I have SOCOM US Navy Seals for the PS2, came ina kinda big box with a headset, and I've never even played it. Should I?

Most definitely. That was actually one of the games I had recommended to you in another thread when you asked about ps2 games.

Single player is pretty fun. People seemed to not like number 3 as much, but I really liked it. Like Hatchet said, there is a TON of team work on that game, so much so that if some people didn't use their headset they would get kicked out of servers most of the time. The most serious and frequent played matches have no respawns so people take each match pretty seriously.

The only bad part about the earlier versions is the rampant cheating online. It's good if you play with people you know and trust. I wish we had high speed out here or we could jump online with you and help you out online.

Most definitely. That was actually one of the games I had recommended to you in another thread when you asked about ps2 games.

Single player is pretty fun. People seemed to not like number 3 as much, but I really liked it. Like Hatchet said, there is a TON of team work on that game, so much so that if some people didn't use their headset they would get kicked out of servers most of the time. The most serious and frequent played matches have no respawns so people take each match pretty seriously.

The only bad part about the earlier versions is the rampant cheating online. It's good if you play with people you know and trust. I wish we had high speed out here or we could jump online with you and help you out online.

SOCOM, often referred to as SOCOM 1 had some great multipalyer. However the MP didn't have DNAS (Dynamic Network Authentication System) which retrieves non personal info about a user but verifies hardware, software, eyc and blocks a lot of cheaters.

As dporter said, I, II and 3 (Combined Assault and 3 interface online together) are all about teamwork. You will see people create respawn rooms but all SCEA served titles - the main server games are all no respawn. These are bitter, dirty, and violent encounters. It is also the most fun I have personally ever had in a MP game. The Breach maps are sort of an uphill battle for the SEALs and I prefer that.

I have never been in another title where 8 people get on one side and chatter that much in order to work together. It is a very team oriented game. Once you die you can follow your own guys but not the enemy. That has led to a lot of laughter and some awe for really good players.

I've never even hooked my PS2 up to the network yet, is it fairly simple? I don't even know what matchmaking servcie sony use for the PS2, will I need to subscribe? :unsure:

Plug it in and walk through some very easy menus. There isn't a subscription. Like all of PSN it is free. Just create a username. I don't know if SOCOM 1 servers are still running or not in Europe. PS2 titles had you crete a username for each game. Some people have multiple SOCOM usernames. But PSN for PS3 titles utilizes your unified name.

I mean seriously, there is no single player

Is that a feature that will be added later?

No. A big SP/MP SOCOM title is coming with SOCOM 4. SOCOM Confrontation will receive periodic new SOF units from around the world and new MP maps and weapons.

any chance this will have keyboard + mouse support?

HF got an OT PM to you too :shifty:

Likely no KB/M support. The fact that you have to rotate so much in SOCOM isn't good for that. The title requires a lot more SA than most shooters. People tried the PS2 KB/M adapters and were prompty skinned and flayed alive for their attempts. Got the PM.

any chance this will have keyboard + mouse support?

HF got an OT PM to you too :shifty:

Likely no KB/M support. The fact that you have to rotate so much in SOCOM isn't good for that. The title requires a lot more SA than most shooters. People tried the PS2 KB/M adapters and were prompty skinned and flayed alive for their attempts. Got the PM.

Yeah, I had used the joy frag keyboard/mouse adapter with socom II and it was very very nice for sniping. It was incredibly accurate, but when I got into close quarters confrontations I was at a huge disadvantage. Turning wasn't an issue because I could adjust the look speed using the keyboard by hitting the + and - buttons, but you would have to turn the look speed up so high in order to turn around quickly that when you would go to aim at someone close up the crosshairs were just so sensitive and jerky it was hard to really lock onto somone.

I gave up using the adapter since a lot of the game was close firefights and I was alreay a pretty good sniper with the joystick anyways I didn't find the adapter very helpful. I will say though, that it did work well with ghost recon on the console and the timesplitters game (both fps).

• 2 weeks later...

SOCOM CONFRONTATION SPECIAL FORCES UNVEILED

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3167041

SOCOM.jpg

As we revealed early this month, the May issue of EGM has a blow-out cover story on SOCOM Confrontation. Along with the loads of other Confrontation info in the story, you'll find a list of all the different special forces included in the game. Joining a special force is now a perk associated with joining a clan; solo players will still be able to play as either commandos or mercenaries, but special forces (and their associated uniforms, gear, and weapons) will only be available to clan members.

Only, er, we got the list a little bit wrong in the mag. So here, for the first time anywhere, is the complete, correct lineup of special forces available at launch, complete with links to Wikipedia entries for the real-life organizations.

Navy Sea, Air, and Land (SEALs, United States)

Special Air Service (SAS, United Kingdom)

Kommando Spezialkräfte (KSK, Germany)

Unidad de Operaciones Especiales (UOE, Spain)

1er Régiment de Parachutistes d'Infanterie de Marine (1er RPIMa, France)

To reiterate, neither Italy's COMSUBIM nor France's GIGN will be included in the game... at least not in the initial release. You can get all the other information you need on SOCOM Confrontation when the May issue of EGM begins arriving in subscriber's mailboxes next week!

:drool:

I can't wait until that issue hits the news stands. If this game delivers I will be picking up an 80gig mgs4 bundle this summer.

I thought I had read rumors from the devs on the playstation boards that your special forces could also be customized so that clans could make special patches on their uniforms in game to represent their clan. It was just rumor at the time but that would be pretty nice even though I don't really play in clans.

The release date is announced:

http://kotaku.com/372700/socom-confronts-p...re-in-september

The extremely popular SOCOM franchise will finally bow on the PlayStation 3 this fall when SOCOM Confrontation hits the PlayStation Store (at least in North America) on September 16, according to 1UP. The latest issue of EGM features a SOCOM blowout, with details on the new SOCOM.com, a revamped community web site with a heavy feature load out and additional details on Slant Six's multiplayer shooter.

That image looks so cool. I like how they incorporate different SF units throughout the world too. They did it with the PSP tactical strike(started the tutorial mission but haven't found the time to play it). Is there a PS3 in my future...grr.....gaming....overload.....

Official blog site now open:

http://socom.us.playstation.com/

I guess the electronic version of the May issue must have been released which is why they have the info because I know the printed one isn't out yet.

A few people claim to have it already but my (free - I wouldn't pay for that rag) issue hasn't arrived yet.