Windows XP vs Windows Vista

NoFears

Which OS?  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

:D I got the topic wrong, it should be "Windows XP vs. Windows Vista".

I still have Windows XP in my PC and I do not have any plans to upgrade to Vista yet.

Have heard from others that there are still some issues with the Windows Vista, some drives are missed or some other issues.

How many on this forum still uses Windows XP?

How many on this forum got Windows Vista?

Is there any known or new issues discoverd with about Windows Vista by someone here?

My PC

Processor: 2,5 GHz

Memory: 1 GB RAM

Videocard: Radeon X1600 AGP 512 MB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

See you all in the battlefields of GRAW 2!

No Fears. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Am I the only one who sees a Catch 22 here?: Your old games won't run reliably under Vista, but you'll soon need Vista to play the new DX10-only games.

Seriously, if making bad software was considered an international war crime punishable by death we wouldn't have all these problems.

Respectfully

krise madsen

Am I the only one who sees a Catch 22 here?: Your old games won't run reliably under Vista, but you'll soon need Vista to play the new DX10-only games.

Kind of like Win 98 to XP then ;)

Remmber Red Alert? That didn't work in XP for a while. I think they fixed it with a patch though, but I had a motorbike game that required Win 98 or NT, and they never fixed that with a new version for XP. It's always like this when new operationg systems are released. At first there will be some compability problems, but I bet the more popular games will be compatible with Vista sooner or later.

Btw, I still got XP on my comp.

Edited by Hockeystick

Vista Business 64bit with SP1 RTM installed

Completely stable (was completely stable before SP1 ALSO)

680I Asus mainboard

2GB ram

Quad core

X-fi music

8800GTX

GRAW2 = 130fps at 1280x1024 (max for my 19" LCD) all settings high except post effects on low. This is in CO-OP or a non stressed server of about 10 peeps. Full server i sit around 60fps

COD4 = 90fps same res as above, all settings high

I play GRAW2 and COD4, and GR1. Also tested Front lines fuels of war beta. No issues except using xfire to start a COD4 game as Xfire looks in wrong location for profile

I use vent and ts... no issues. also G15 Logitech keyboard works with newest drivers with no issues and same with razer diamondback.

Speaking of older game. GR1 runs flawlessly in Vista. Sound is as great as ever. Anyone have a list of games they tried in Vista that don't work? Oh and i installed good old Doom3. Works fine in vista.

I will say this though. 6000 series cards had major issues in vista with graw1. My 6800 superclocked had to be in XP to play graw1.

Personaly I think vista is like ME just a transition.They have a new File system in the wings also.I think.I would have already upgraded to vista along time ago if I had a PciE video card slot.Im in AGP land still.Dont really see that changing for a couple of years.LOL.Since I dont live in the PAST.All my old games are in a box in the closet.Except for [GR].I will continue to live without the DX10 effects and vista.Without the File system there isnt that much change.Except for ultimate.

I have Vista Premium 32 and 64bit and everything works fine for me except for one thing. My damn joystick wont work on the 64bit, but it works on my 32. SO I guess all is fine when it comes to flying as I can just switch to my 32 bit *even though I don't because I'm lazy*.

Ducky

Personaly I think vista is like ME just a transition.They have a new File system in the wings also.I think.I would have already upgraded to vista along time ago if I had a PciE video card slot.Im in AGP land still.Dont really see that changing for a couple of years.LOL.Since I dont live in the PAST.All my old games are in a box in the closet.Except for [GR].I will continue to live without the DX10 effects and vista.Without the File system there isnt that much change.Except for ultimate.

Vista business and Ultimate do Shadow copying. It's something only server 2003 had before. I can right click on any directory and restore any file or copy out any file in that directory from the last 2 weeks or so. What does this mean? say i accidently overwrite a word document or delete it. I can Right click my documents, left click properties, go to previous versions and choose the copy from my previous versions date list. It's a lifesaver. I have saved many clients with 2003 server and this... athough in vista it does not have a schedule. In server i can set it for every hour. Also in Vista the overhead is, it will take up to 15% of you drive. In server you can specify the amount. Still handy though.

Also the Windows Gallery is nice for organizing photos. it has a few simple but quick tools for removing red eye and adjusting the colors of photos and such.

The indexer in Vista is sweet. Where run was in XP, it is now search. If i want the disk defrag, i just type de and it will bring it up for me to select. If i typed disk defrag... also any e-mail, documents or such will come up in less then a second. VERY handy.

Finally... The 64bit version of vista gets drivers at the same time the 32 bit does. Big improvement over XP as there are very limited 64 bit drivers. There are other things but these are a few on the enhancements.

Hey Roco, have you heard the ETA on when the Vista SP1 disc for OEM and retail is hitting stores?

Also any word about the XP SP3 ETA?

I'll see if it's in our distribution yet. The OEM system builders have it. Only functionality change is you can create re-store disks, but lots of drivers all the updates and afew extra stability updates built in.

Distrubution shows The 20th in California - east coast the 25th. Vista all retail flavors have the same date shipping with SP1. Don't write this in stone though. I have seen them move the date before. It's just what MS is telling them currently. BTW note that is retail. There is no QUE for OEM listing SP1 or seperate for sale... but we can download it ahead of time so i'm betting they are leaving it up to us (as in the system builders)to install it and ship a cd (which our company does) I'm betting the download will also be available around the same time retail releases.

There are three machines in the house and they’re all XP,

But heard a whisper that Microsoft is stopping support for XP at the end of the year, the only updates will be for security only

Hey Roco, have you heard the ETA on when the Vista SP1 disc for OEM and retail is hitting stores?

Distrubution shows The 20th in California - east coast the 25th. Vista all retail flavors have the same date shipping with SP1. Don't write this in stone though. I have seen them move the date before. It's just what MS is telling them currently. BTW note that is retail. There is no QUE for OEM listing SP1 or seperate for sale...

Nice. Thanks for the update! I'm putting together a new rig soon and I'd prefer to have an OEM Vista 64-bit disc with SP1 on it already (saves a bit of time for those inevitable reinstalls :P )

Distrubution shows The 20th in California - east coast the 25th. Vista all retail flavors have the same date shipping with SP1. Don't write this in stone though. I have seen them move the date before. It's just what MS is telling them currently. BTW note that is retail. There is no QUE for OEM listing SP1 or seperate for sale...

Nice. Thanks for the update! I'm putting together a new rig soon and I'd prefer to have an OEM Vista 64-bit disc with SP1 on it already (saves a bit of time for those inevitable reinstalls :P )

Yeah the install is big. Even on newer pc's i think it took like 10-15 minutes to install as it reboots like 3 times during the install.

For System builders they set it up as a downlaodable ISO.

Just got the new toy up and going last night....

Quad Core @ 3.6GHz, 4GB RAM, Vista Ultimate 64, EVGA 880GTX, and X-Fi Fatality card.

So far I've only tried Crysis, COD4, WiC, GRAW2 and MoH:Airborne, only one BSOD during WiC and that's because I was testing out 3.7GHz... hehe. Otherwise, running fine and dandy here on all fronts.

Just got the new toy up and going last night....

Quad Core @ 3.6GHz, 4GB RAM, Vista Ultimate 64, EVGA 880GTX, and X-Fi Fatality card.

So far I've only tried Crysis, COD4, WiC, GRAW2 and MoH:Airborne, only one BSOD during WiC and that's because I was testing out 3.7GHz... hehe. Otherwise, running fine and dandy here on all fronts.

You need to get that water cooling up before you hit those speeds lol... considering you have a 2.4ghz quad and just overclocked it 1.3ghz! LOL!

The water-cooling is in place and quite smooth. Just sprung a leak no joke, about 2 minutes after I typed my last post, but it was my fault... clamped down too hard at my rad's outlet, pressure+fluid = finding a place to leak. Fluid on the floor of the case, no parts were wet or damaged, so that was lucky. I'm monitoring it now.

Noticed this and quickly cut off power, cleaned up, dried off, replaced the hose, refilled, did some rearranging to make for better flow... and here I am. Whole ordeal didn't take long at all. Really it took about 20 minutes to handle, from spotting the leak to powering up my system again. Any extra time between my posts is the result of my Congratulatory Victory Brew. :hehe: And a test run, probably let it run a good 25 - 30 minutes testing for leaks again.