Hey White Knight!

FA sear

I know that you are on a Sony boycott, but I was wondering how long you have been on it. I have not bought a Sony product in almost ten years, however, this new PS3 really has me thinking about making an exception. Unfortunately, from what I know the customer service at Sony has not really improved and so I am still VERY hesitant about buying a product from a company that is still treating their customers poorly.

I was burned VERY badly on a TV, a Walkman, a dual cassette player, and a CD player with dual cassette. Now of course I had another TV that ran flawlessly for almost ten years, but my other experiences are just very difficult to overlook.

The TV was the worst, as Sony refused to take it back saying that they could not be sure that I did not neglect or abuse it in some way. After a long battle, sending it in twice for poor repair jobs, the warranty ran out and Sony refused to take it again. A quick check at a local TV repair shop revealed some loose wiring. Problem fixed for just a few bucks, and the TV ran flawlessly. The other products mentioned were a BIG hassle too, but I think you get the picture.

I can tell you this much right now, if Nintendo had put out the PS3, I would have jumped on it immediately.

Anyway, is your Sony boycott a permanent thing, or are you waiting for them to improve their customer service?

Edited by FA sear

My Sony boycott is a permanent thing and started after the rootkit fiasco they had when a consumer inserted a rather inocuous CD into their CD-ROM on their PC and it installed it without permission for copyright protection. As the Deputy Assistant of Homeland Security said, "Noone has the right to install anything on someone's PC without their permission." or something similar (it's here on the forums BTW).

What really sucks is it appears that they are the only one who makes VHS tapes still. Ouch.

My Sony boycott is a permanent thing and started after the rootkit fiasco they had when a consumer inserted a rather inocuous CD into their CD-ROM on their PC and it installed it without permission for copyright protection. As the Deputy Assistant of Homeland Security said, "Noone has the right to install anything on someone's PC without their permission." or something similar (it's here on the forums BTW).

What really sucks is it appears that they are the only one who makes VHS tapes still. Ouch.

You know, I remember hearing about that. I am not sure if it was here on this forum, but I do remember that very incident.

@GRIN_Wolfsong

You still have VHS tapes? I sold all of mine. Some were only worth 50 cents a piece, but I really did not have any use for them. I wonder if anybody would buy them at this point.

I timeshift Mythbusters and Smash Lab (pretty cool show and a fine scientist to look at too).

I have seen segments of Mythbusters, but I am not familiar with Smash Lab. The only cable program I watch is the Military channel, and that is only when I see it at a friends house. I do not watch enough tv to justify cable, or satilite. The only show I follow is Jericho and that is about it.

Smash Lab is cool. They take an idea and see if it can improve safety in something by using different or new technology.

One epispode they wanted to protect a mobile home from hurricane force winds. They took carbon fiber matting like Indy cars are made from and wrapped a mobile home with it then strapped it down. They backed up a 737-200 about 100 feet or so in front of it and fired up an engine. They advanced the speed of the engines to simulate different strengths of a hurricane. The straps finally all let go at about an F4 strength and let the mobile home tumble. It survived intact on the outside (one would have to believe anything not nailed down would tumble too though).

They even invented a way to escape high rise tower fires using rare-earth magnets and aluminum. It's on the Discovery Channel right after Mythbusters on Wed. night. Get a friend to TiVo them for ya.