Win XP Service Pack 3 [Available April 29th]

ROCO*AFZ*

Thought a few of you slakers still in the xp world may find this interesting ;)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en

I've actually been using the SP3 beta to save time on non-mission critical builds. Very good.

I'm just disappointed that they didn't put in IE7. or WMP11. or DX10 LOL

But at least IE7 - it's available to "non-Genuine" customers anyway

• 1 month later...

FYI

According to reports, this is the release schedule for SP3:

4/21 - OEMs, Volume License, Connect, and MSDN and TechNet subscribers will have access.

4/29 - Microsoft Update, Windows Update, Download Center: however, this will not be an automatic update.

6/10 - Automatic Updates land

Consider the source.

http://technologyexpert.blogspot.com/2008/...se-to-oems.html

You know, for all the moaning concerning Vista, I haven't had any problems w/ my machine. I know plenty of people who do have serious problems w/ Vista, but I'm thankfully not one of them. If anything, I've found it to be pretty stable.

Currently there's a lawsuit against Microsoft. PC's are being labeled as Vista compatible. OEM's build systems with XP style hardware, Ram CPU etc. stuff Vista on it and it doesn't run as it should or at all.

But MS has stated Vista is a failure and lets hope, REALLY hope that the next Windows is worth the wait.

If Vista works for you..cool. use it by all means, but my photography needs as well as businesses a OS that is dependable. drivers for my camera are essential for my work. Vista is not trustworthy for my work.

personally speaking.

Just for the record, MS never stated that Vista was a failure. And the lawsuit you are referring to is pretty stupid. There were 2 tags that PCs had. Vista Capable (Vista Basic) and Vista Premium Ready (any version of Vista). It's like suing Chevy for showing all the high end features on a Cobalt when you bought the low end model.

Just for the record, MS never stated that Vista was a failure. And the lawsuit you are referring to is pretty stupid. There were 2 tags that PCs had. Vista Capable (Vista Basic) and Vista Premium Ready (any version of Vista). It's like suing Chevy for showing all the high end features on a Cobalt when you bought the low end model.

The inquirer

the inquirer article was the main link to the by many different google link at http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&cli...ure&spell=1

the google link is what i used to find the inquirer article. but it seems to be the most reliable source.

The Inquirer is anything BUT reliable, and they're putting words in Microsofts mouth by interpreting their actions. Not to mention that was done over a year ago (3 months after Vista's release). Microsoft never stated Vista was a failure (if anything, they've stated the opposite by showing off the number of units shipped).

Read the article and point out one spot where anyone from MS said it was a failure.

Be careful if you try Win XP SP3 Beta

There has been many problems, even if your mate has none !!! reported at microsoft TECHNET

I had one as reported, nearly lost the OS !

http://www.legionofspartans.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=1739

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPo...8&SiteID=17

YOU have been warned :angry::yes:

The problem can be:

gdi32.dll from c:\windows\system32\ can become corrupt or none compatible.

When I bought my wife a new laptop last year I got her a real good Toshiba. I had a choice between getting XP Pro and Vista Home Premium. I decided to go for the Vista to see what it was like and test it out on her first. Aside from them naming stuff a little differently and it always asking if you really want to do that, we have had no problems running Vista and I will be using it on my next desktop build, (when I can afford it).

Just for the record, MS never stated that Vista was a failure. And the lawsuit you are referring to is pretty stupid. There were 2 tags that PCs had. Vista Capable (Vista Basic) and Vista Premium Ready (any version of Vista). It's like suing Chevy for showing all the high end features on a Cobalt when you bought the low end model

Correct... There was a few oem's that people tried to sue because they didn't label them correctly... but it wasn't MS

The Inquirer is anything BUT reliable, and they're putting words in Microsofts mouth by interpreting their actions. Not to mention that was done over a year ago (3 months after Vista's release). Microsoft never stated Vista was a failure (if anything, they've stated the opposite by showing off the number of units shipped).

Read the article and point out one spot where anyone from MS said it was a failure.

Very correct... if i could only count how many times the inquirer had to take back articles they posted that were not true...

As for Vista problems... Most is due to brand names doing one of 2 things. #1 is using integrated video. Microsoft stated over and over and infact stressed it in OEM training session, not to EVER use integrated video in Vista if you want perfomance. #2. Brand names never change there drivers and laptops force you to go to the manufacturer. So in the 1st 4 months of buggy drivers by hardware manufacturers (Note not Vista's fault) became 8 months to a year because they don't change there builds that often. Our in house brand NEVER had any vista problems after the 1st 3 months ( we didn't recommend it till nvidia and creative caught up) Finally 1, 3rd problem. Those that upgraded... reason... there manufacture NEVER released vista compliant drivers.

Oh and note... 64BIT works just as well as 32... MS made it known to manufacturers that when they released a final 32bit driver, they HAD to release a 64bit at the same time or it would not qualify nor install.

Finally... VIIPER... agreed. I had to tell one of our techs that as he tried to use it to fix a customer's pc. One problem is that IE7 is not in it, but all the other updates were. This can lead to the windows update NOT functioning ever. SP3 beta is not recommended except for testing

Vista SP1 RTM is however.

what's the verdict about Vista SP1? All I hear anymore from eweek that I subscribe to is, more and more consumers and businesses aren't migrating. mostly due to their current apps and not seeing any compelling reason to upgrade.

But, take this with a grain of salt, alot of folks are looking to Windows7 next year. I know I am.

I'll take a wait and see on this issue. for the time being, I'll put this argument on the back burner... :thumbsup:

I'm just too scared to trust my entire digital photography collection (5.87 gigs) of competition pictures and family shots to a faulty migration. I'll upgrade my PC from a single core 64 bit CPU to a quad core. ( I have considered either a second HDD(internal) or a external HDD drive) I have time to think this over :thumbsup:

<rant> I just can't say I trust Vista that much with my entire collection of shots... 0:)

What ticks me off is, HP swore my PC with it's current hardware could run Vista with Aero (whoopie) just fine. So I installed vista clean install. and MS couldn't figure out what was causing my CPU to throttle from 80-100%. I couldn't even run the windows experience test. What a crock of ...you know what.

I'm looking at my options for a new PC. I have to go OEM again, like HP, Dell or whatever. They never gave Vista folks enough memory or hardware resources that vista eats up, I do know vista is a resource hog. </rant> :devil:

Edited by Papa6

<rant> I just can't say I trust Vista that much with my entire collection of shots... 0:)

I have Vista Ultimate 64. I've never had any major OS related issues. Any problems I had all occurred during the first days of my build, and were easily fixed with driver/product updates etc. The only frustrating part is that some software devs haven't quite grabbed a hold of the 64bit stick. I bought a 3 system Spy Sweeper/Anti-Virus, to use on my mom's Laptop (Vista 32) and my Desktop (XP 32 and Vista 64) only to find it was worthless on my main OS and there was no labeling on the package anywhere to warn me so. That sucked.

Anyway, my point. I've got TONS of pics. About 6500+ at 10.2MP res. I've got them all on my Vista drive and haven't had a thing to worry about. Photoshop CS3 Extended runs better in Vista than it does in XP, so does Lightroom - for me at least. I find myself rarely, I mean rarely, using XP anymore. Vista's great. If you want it, go for it. :)

----------------

Lets be blunt. Vista, esp. 64 bit, is a resource hog - for midrange systems. I run it on my PC (dig the sig) with no problems, no hickups, nothing. It's smooth, clean, and I love it. But, I use a higher end PC. For a budget PC, I'd never put Vista 64 on there, I'd probably stick to good ole XP for your average PC. Does that mean Vista is a bad OS? Not at all. It just has a higher success rate among currently higher end PCs. Once PCs like mine are the average, and cost around $1000 (instead of $2000), then using Vista won't be as big of a problem. And even for it's multiple versions, Vista still is NOT a Blanket OS. There's really not a version to fit everyone. Who's missing? Existing XP users. If you go out and buy brand new, then there's a Vista for you. But don't expect to keep your old XP machine and upgrade to Vista just fine.

Bottom line... people are bitching about Vista because it doesn't work on their PC or whatever. Realizing that few of them have gone "Hmmn, I can't run a brand new OS on my XP machine I bought 3 years ago." To upgrade OSs you must upgrade PCs. Vista is a bit of a luxury, at least in it's higher versions. People want the sleek Ultimate experience, but at a Vista Home 32 pricetag. It simply won't happen. If you want Vista and want it to perform the way MS has been on and on about, get a high end PC and get Ultimate 64. Bam. Done. But don't blame MS because your PC isn't up to snuff, or because you didn't read the fine-print.

Vista is a great OS. It takes some getting used to (about 2 days) and then you're good to go. I love it and reccommend it to anyone who can afford to run it the way it's meant to be run, without any restrictions on the OS at all.

</semi-rant>

:hehe:

If you want Vista and want it to perform the way MS has been on and on about, get a high end PC and get Ultimate 64. Bam. Done.

</semi-rant>

:hehe:

that's what folks are mad about. why should people buy a "high end" PC just to enjoy an OS that even many businesses don't feel compelled to upgrade to? as for my current PC, HP promised, i mean the hardware requirements and what not met the explicit MS criteria. I told the tech support guy at MS my entire system and HE couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work! THAT's what brought about the lawsuit. build PC's and have MS certify that they'll run Vista basic or Vista with Aero. I'm quite anxious to see what Windows7 has to offer... :thumbsup:

Does MS certify the PC's hardware specs, or does the manufacturer?

The manufacturer does. Ms just provides stickers.

Believe it or not i installed Vista to celeron with 1ghz and 512mb of ram. +ista automatically shut off what it needed to and it ran good after a slow start up. Intel however never made drives for the video. I managed to force an xp driver but under high stress it would switch to 8bit. My laptop was not vista certified.

Papa i would imagine your problem was a driver problem hp proabaly with used a beta vista driver or the ms one was not fully compliant but was best match.

Have you tried another OS sucessfullly with all running besides XP which btw the sticker on your PC says it was Designed for XP....

that's what folks are mad about. why should people buy a "high end" PC just to enjoy an OS that even many businesses don't feel compelled to upgrade to? as for my current PC, HP promised, i mean the hardware requirements and what not met the explicit MS criteria. I told the tech support guy at MS my entire system and HE couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work! THAT's what brought about the lawsuit. build PC's and have MS certify that they'll run Vista basic or Vista with Aero. I'm quite anxious to see what Windows7 has to offer... :thumbsup:

Funny, because I recall a very similar argument about XP when it first came out :unsure:

And, if you've noticed recently, it came out that approximately 29% of crashes in Vista were caused by nVidia drivers. ATI didn't seem to have much of a problem, or even Creative for that matter.

Does MS certify the PC's hardware specs, or does the manufacturer?

The manufacturer does. Ms just provides stickers.

Believe it or not i installed Vista to celeron with 1ghz and 512mb of ram. +ista automatically shut off what it needed to and it ran good after a slow start up. Intel however never made drives for the video. I managed to force an xp driver but under high stress it would switch to 8bit. My laptop was not vista certified.

Papa i would imagine your problem was a driver problem hp proabaly with used a beta vista driver or the ms one was not fully compliant but was best match.

Have you tried another OS sucessfullly with all running besides XP which btw the sticker on your PC says it was Designed for XP....

yep. I tried Vista, XP MCE, Linux(most flavors) and reinstalled my original HP XP MCE 2005 last year. seems to run fine. one issue might be my chipset. an ati Xrpess200 chipset. since I don't game anymore, I still own the same said PC.

IF you guys trust Vista like yo usay, i'd be interested to see what I could enjoy out of it. I own a promotional (full version) of Vista Business 32 bit I got for free at powertogether(site is down) but an article at http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=171 pretty much sums it up.

I have 2 computers waiting for a XP reinstall, and I'm waiting for SP3. Someone give us a holler when you see the standalone SP3 final version available for download.

April 14, 2008: Support is available for the release version of Service Pack 3 for Windows XP

April 21, 2008: Original Equipment Manufacturers, Volume License, Connect, and MSDN and TechNet subscribers

April 29, 2008: Microsoft Update, Windows Update, Download Center

June 10, 2008: Automatic Updates