Lego mod for UT III

Hatchetforce

http://www.gameblews.com/?page_id=11303

Lego mod to drop into PS3. This may seem simple but it is the kind of thing the 360 isn't going to get. It's a shame because it would encourage more modders but Epic's Mark Rein says MS is refusing to budge on the mod access issue.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/02/20/ut3-mods...e-improvements/

Our prognosis for mods on the Xbox 360 version of Unreal Tournament 3: not so good. In an interview with Joystiq, Epic Games' VP Mark Rein told us that there's no progress with Microsoft on making UT3 mods work with Xbox Live. One would think Microsoft would be more open to community content given the recent Xbox Live Community announcement, but Rein noted that the system is different. Rein said the Xbox 360 version has no set release date.

Conversely, Rein did acknowledge the current PS3 mod system is less than stellar and told us to expect improvements coming soon. We'll have more from our interviews with Mark Rein, CEO Tim Sweeney, and Cliffy B later this week.

Edited by Hatchetforce

It's funny (well, not actually funny) how Microsoft seem to have completely ignored even the possibility of someone coming with user created content for consoles. Sony still have plenty of opportunities to shoot themselves in the foot and of course only time will tell if mods will really take off on the console. But still...

Respectfully

krise madsen

If I were not on a Sony boycott, I would have already spit on the 360s grave, and bought myself a PS3.

That would be a shortsighted mistake. The consoles are still pretty even in the race, and the difference in power and capabilities of the consoles is much less dramatic than the one between the xbox1 and ps2 -- and look who came out on top there. Both consoles have a stable market share, a lot of good features, and strong developer support. Neither is dead, or showing any signs of dying.

Epic still has a very good relationship with microsoft (see: gears of war 2) and more than likely this is just an example of microsoft's cumbersome XBL development pipeline limiting things a bit. Definitely a mistake on their part, but there's just as much bad press aimed at sony lately.

If everyone would take off their fanboy hats for a minute or two, and actually look objectively for news, instead of just reading anti 360 or anti ps3 articles and ignoring the others, you'd see that neither is anywhere near perfect. The PS3's magical bluray drive, for aexample, has already really hurt one game.. The slow disc speeds make it impossible to stream Devil May Cry 4, so the game (despite fitting and running comfortably on an xbox360 dvd) has to take twenty minutes to install on the ps3. This is probably something we'll see again, at least from capcom, who's a pretty big force in america, europe, and japan.

If I were not on a Sony boycott, I would have already spit on the 360s grave, and bought myself a PS3.

That would be a shortsighted mistake. The consoles are still pretty even in the race, and the difference in power and capabilities of the consoles is much less dramatic than the one between the xbox1 and ps2 -- and look who came out on top there. Both consoles have a stable market share, a lot of good features, and strong developer support. Neither is dead, or showing any signs of dying.

Epic still has a very good relationship with microsoft (see: gears of war 2) and more than likely this is just an example of microsoft's cumbersome XBL development pipeline limiting things a bit. Definitely a mistake on their part, but there's just as much bad press aimed at sony lately.

If everyone would take off their fanboy hats for a minute or two, and actually look objectively for news, instead of just reading anti 360 or anti ps3 articles and ignoring the others, you'd see that neither is anywhere near perfect. The PS3's magical bluray drive, for aexample, has already really hurt one game.. The slow disc speeds make it impossible to stream Devil May Cry 4, so the game (despite fitting and running comfortably on an xbox360 dvd) has to take twenty minutes to install on the ps3. This is probably something we'll see again, at least from capcom, who's a pretty big force in america, europe, and japan.

Who is a fanboy here? I own an Xbox, and am on a Sony boycott. Hatchet is a Halo fan and was an ardent supporter of the 360 when it first came out, and somewhat of a naysayer of the PS3. Anyway, what you call shortsighted and fanboyism, I see as legitimate concerns.

I think it is VERY significant that the PS3 is outselling the 360, and just a few months after a hallmark title like Halo 3 was released. Regardless, I do not care to go back and forth here with you ,as you seem determined to go into every thread on this forum that addresses this issue and call people fanboys, and shortsighted. Throwing around terms like that does not help your cause, and can only earn you enemies. I am not saying that I took offense to what you just said here (I have thicker skin than that), but I can see how someone could easily take one of your posts the wrong way. Better to check your emotions at the door, or really think about how you are coming across before you click that "Add Reply" button. Remember that on the internet words are the only things that come across the page, there are no facial expressions, intonations, and frankly, not knowing most people here on a personal level are what make all the difference. Not an arguement, just a word of advice.

Honestly, when i said 'fanboy' i meant people following the console race in general.

Otherwise, meh, it doesn't really bother me what people on the internet think of me. I'm a more than competent writer, i know when the tone i'm coming across with is hostile, abrasive, or offensive. Sorry if it bothered you, though -- i'm right, in this instance, i mean; the consoles are much closer than ps2/xbox were this time in their respective lives, and both of those did very well through ought the whole console generation -- but my intention wasn't really to get anyone that worked up.

You are a more than competent writer? Well, good, but you could afford to read my posts a bit more carefully.

I am not saying that I took offense to what you just said here (I have thicker skin than that), but I can see how someone could easily take one of your posts the wrong way. Better to check your emotions at the door, or really think about how you are coming across before you click that "Add Reply" button. Remember that on the internet words are the only things that come across the page, there are no facial expressions, intonations, and frankly, not knowing most people here on a personal level are what make all the difference. Not an arguement, just a word of advice.

Sup, you have already been told by someone that you may be put on ignore. I simply gave you advice, I told you that I was NOT trying to make an arguement, but I see that either you took my post the wrong way, and took offense, or you did not read it carefully.

I am really not that concerned with what views you have, I simply stated a fact in regard to how one can come across on the internet. Again, you either did not read my last post, or you were offended by it. Regardless, it was not an attack on my part, and I simply posted what I did without intending to start an arguement.

No offense taken on my part, and believe me, I am far from being worked up about this. Gun laws, my personal freedom, geopolitics, etc... These are the things that can get me a bit worked up. Oh, and Sony, I hate them with a passion, I have a long history of bad experiences with them, and none of it is related to gaming.

I am not saying that I took offense to what you just said here (I have thicker skin than that), but I can see how someone could easily take one of your posts the wrong way. Better to check your emotions at the door, or really think about how you are coming across before you click that "Add Reply" button. Remember that on the internet words are the only things that come across the page, there are no facial expressions, intonations, and frankly, not knowing most people here on a personal level are what make all the difference. Not an arguement, just a word of advice.

Sup, you have already been told by someone that you may be put on ignore. I simply gave you advice, I told you that I was NOT trying to make an arguement, but I see that either you took my post the wrong way, and took offense, or you did not read it carefully.

hm? I'm not offended at you at all, and i apologized to err on the side of politeness. As for HF, yeah, he put Deadpreacher on ignore for asking some honest, interested questions in his thread about XMB -- it seems like a bit of a hair trigger. Plus, he hasn't liked me for years.

hm? I'm not offended at you at all, and i apologized to err on the side of politeness. As for HF, yeah, he put Deadpreacher on ignore for asking some honest, interested questions in his thread about XMB -- it seems like a bit of a hair trigger. Plus, he hasn't liked me for years.

Okay, it just seemed like you had taken offense to something I initially posted. Well, if you are not offended in any way, then, no problem.

i'm right, in this instance, i mean; the consoles are much closer than ps2/xbox were this time in their respective lives, and both of those did very well through ought the whole console generation

If you mean that currently the race is close, then I would absolutely agree, but I still see the cards being stacked against the 360 in the future. With Toshiba dropping the HD DVD format, an entire market of people that want a game system WITH a HD player will opt for the PS3. This is apart from the whole issue of whether the a game system needs a the extra memory of the BR drive (I am not talking about that issue here).

The other significant note in the stats was that there are still so many PS2s being sold. Down the road and maybe sooner than we think, if Sony has another price drop how will that tip the scales?

No, I do not see the 360 going to the graveyard, and of course MS can also drop their price again too. There is the next gen processor that will be 45nm (I think that is the correct number), so if MS can keep cutting cost, improve reliability with the cooler units, and pass the savings on to the customer, then certainly they could be the "bargain" that continues to undermine Sony on price.

Regardless of all the what ifs, and maybes, I still see the road ahead as being a challenge for MS. The other strike MS has against it is the FACT that the previous Xbox CLEARLY was a better performing system, but in Japan, this did not matter and sales were still slow when compared to the PS2. This is unfair, as the US market is much more open to foreign products, while the Japanese market is clogged with anti American sentiment. Now that the PS3 has advantages, such as being able to play BR movies, and I do not want to debate whether these are just perceived advantages, because remember that in Japan, even the inferior PS2 was still considered "better". Anything they can say to justify the warcry of Sony over MS will just add fuel to the fire, and even if the "advantage" is one that is just perceived, in the eyes of the Japanese it is justification.

The Japanese market is a very large one, and MS is the loser here regardless of what they make. The 360 could have had a BR drive from the start, the 45nm processor, a ZERO failure rate, and a $200 price tag, but in Japan this still would not be enough for many there to consider an American product. For a Japanese product, their homeland almost guarantees them success when compared to an American product, so based on this alone, MS will always give up some ground to Sony. This stinks, but it is an unfortunate reality.

Now of course sales in Japan are not the "end all" to console sales, but it is a factor/hurdle that MS does have to overcome. In the end time will only tell, because as of now the sales are close to equal, but it would not surprise me to see the PS3 move ahead in the future.

Edited by FA sear

As for HF, yeah, he put Deadpreacher on ignore for asking some honest, interested questions in his thread about XMB -- it seems like a bit of a hair trigger. Plus, he hasn't liked me for years.

I had no idea why you mentioned Deadpreacher here, so I read the thread where the discussion turned hostile.

For starters lets define what is being discussed here.

XMB, which stands for Cross Media Bar, is a graphical interface that's shaped like a cross. Users of the interface move left and right to select between main category entries, then move up and down to select between sub categories. On the PSX, for instance, main categories include "Games," "Videos," "Television," and "Audio." Subcategories for "Games" include the memory card manager, contents of a game disk that's inserted into the PSX and game-related content that's been copied onto the hard disk.

This is one of the articles.

Sony Acknowledges In-Game XMB Access as 'One of the Most Requested PS3 Enhancements'

by Carlos Bergfeld Dec 13, 2007 4:19pm CST tags: PlayStation Network, Games: Console, Sony

The lack of in-game access to Sony's XMB overlay on the PlayStation 3 prevents any kind of meaningful communication with other PlayStation Network users during gameplay. But that should change in the future, as Sony told Shacknews in a ShackBlog Q&A that this feature is a high priority for future PSN functionality.

"We are looking at a number of enhancements related to accessing some of the XMB features during gameplay, including messaging your friends," PlayStation Network director of operations Eric Lempel told the ShackBlog. "While there's no timeline to announce at this point, we've heard loud and clear from consumers that in-game XMB access is one of the most requested PS3 enhancements."

Access to the in-game XMB would presumably allow inviting friends to online matches, like Microsoft has implemented in Xbox Live. Head over to the ShackBlog to read the full Q&A for info on additional PlayStation Network issues.

Read the associated ShackBlog post

"As much as I love my ps3, the online integration could be upped a bit. Recent games are really go..."24 Comments

Why the heck would Sony plug something that is already there as a most requested feature? Look at the date of the article. Honest questions do not refute what a person is saying. Honest questions also do not come across in an argumentative manner.

Sup you say that Hatchet has hated you for years, well, I think your opinion on the thread in discussion is a bit biased. People have had disagreements with Hatchet before (including me), but that does not always land someone on an ignore list. If you go into a thread that someone else started, then you better be able to back up what you are saying with proof, or at least understand what the person is talking about.

Sup you say that Hatchet has hated you for years, well, I think your opinion on the thread in discussion is a bit biased. People have had disagreements with Hatchet before (including me), but that does not always land someone on an ignore list. If you go into a thread that someone else started, then you better be able to back up what you are saying with proof, or at least understand what the person is talking about.

Let it go. He and that other guy are on ignore because I don't have time for them. I don't hate them as hate is something I reserve for important people that actually matter in some way shape or form. He is granting himself far to much importance in my world. I just grew tired of him following me into every thread like some mean little barnyard rooster and attacking even items that accredited and professional developers were saying. Sooner or later you realize it and you just put them on permanent time out. Why do you think he was banned at Blackfoot?

You and I don't always agree and you have asked pointed questions and I have spent some very long posts explaining them and you have responded and I have enjoyed the comments. I don't mind that debate or even disagreement at all. I just can't stand purposeful attacks from kids that are thinly disguised.

Edited by Hatchetforce

I never said hated, merely disliked. He got somehow got it into his head that i have some personal fetish obsession with posting in his threads, when in reality is just post in almost every single console/pc discission thread, and he happens to make a lot.

Let it go. He and that other guy are on ignore because I don't have time for them. I don't hate them as hate is something I reserve for important people that actually matter in some way shape or form. He is granting himself far to much importance in my world. I just grew tired of him following me into every thread like some mean little barnyard rooster and attacking even items that accredited and professional developers were saying. Sooner or later you realize it and you just put them on permanent time out. Why do you think he was banned at Blackfoot?

You and I don't always agree and you have asked pointed questions and I have spent some very long posts explaining them and you have responded and I have enjoyed the comments. I don't mind that debate or even disagreement at all. I just can't stand purposeful attacks from kids that are thinly disguised.

I will take that advice.