Ubi forums takes a turn for the worse

krise madsen

If there ever is a a new GR of any type I would request that you and you team get and play the [Ghost Recon] with IT/DS and all the patches. Pay attention to how the game is built, the way its designed to include the openess of the maps and missions that can be approached from any angle or out of order. Those are the features that most of us want in this game. There is also the game play but I think we have all resigned ourselves to the fact we will never see another great tactical shooter of the likes of GR again, due to the fading of us old timers and the fact we're out numbered by the hyped up on sugar run and gun types.

Some of us dont need to we already did the first time around ;)

Sorry I was meaning that towards anyone who might be designing a game. I don't want or expect them to remake GR1 as we have already played it, but imagine if GR:AW and GR:AW2 had the maps and missions they have now but designed like GR1 was and that the controls all the way from SP to MP and Server were very simular to GR1. I know that myself for one would be very happy to support a game like that and am pretty confident that the majority of the team I belong to (who did not buy GR:AW/2) would also have been happy enough with it to purchase it.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those indepth details were above my paygrade..lol. But I appreciate some insight like that Whiteknight. I always wondered up to this moment what "Actually" happened. Yeah then I'd say based upon your keen information and my trust in your word that, when UBISOFT bought RSE, that's when it all fell apart. so I'm now seeing the greater picture unlike before. RSE built an outstanding game only to be bought by the likes of UBISOFT and they in turn decided to make the GR franchise what they(UBISOFT) saw or wanted. I would dread the day if BFS should be bought out by UBISOFT if Ground branch should take off. <_<

lol, but thats how BFS will go if no publisher is found? Ubi like a tasty product :yes:

All good Programmers/studios/devs are normally lost to the world of commerce.....

Only once in a millennium is a star allowed to shine as bright as [GR] .

With the cost of CD Duplication equipment being within reach, BFS will need no more than word of mouth to start off. I for one will buy directly from them. They don't need no fancy packaging or expensive publishers to get their dream to fly.

If everyone of us here went on other sites we know and posted the link to BFS and spread the word around to as many sites as possible they wouldn't even need t advertise.

Just like the music industry is in the crapper with sales and with artists going online w/out them to sell a product, a small company like BF can do the same. Look at the new chopper sim coming out called Black Shark (Eagle Dynamics). They released Lock On with UBI and got dropped. They released Flaming Cliffs electronically as well as with a small publisher. UBI still got a cut of the pie cuz of legal reasons so now they're getting completely away with a new game engine and a new name. They'll sell the hell of their product as well.

Don't discount word of mouth on the internet. Paris Hilton became famouse because of it.

With the cost of CD Duplication equipment being within reach, BFS will need no more than word of mouth to start off. I for one will buy directly from them. They don't need no fancy packaging or expensive publishers to get their dream to fly.

If everyone of us here went on other sites we know and posted the link to BFS and spread the word around to as many sites as possible they wouldn't even need t advertise.

That wouldn't make BFS survive though. They need a publisher to get payed properly, and they need a publishers pipeline for world wide distribution.

After GRAW and initially GRAW 2 ( and to a lesser extent GRSS ) i had no faith in UBI or RSE. I too started with the PC version of GR and loved it like no other game. But unlike others here I felt the xbox version of [GR] was on par with the PC version. Everything RSE touched I loved, even upto R6 Black Arrow. I even loved GR2 when played in First Person only. In fact I thought GR2 was a better product in some areas than [GR]. But as I stated earlier all my faith in Ubi/RSE evaporated after GRAW, which is so far removed from GR than I dont consider it to be a Ghost Recon game. Same with GRAW 2 at ship.

But now I'm starting to regain my faith, through information that I've heard from good and less than good sources and the co-op map pack designs. But I'm 90% confident alot of you will be very happy bunnies in the future. Having the likes of Geridak at the helm of Ghost Recon is nothing but positive for [GR] fans. I believe he shares the majority if not all of the [GR] communities desires and wishes.

Ghost Recon is slowly making a comeback. For instance take the co-op map packs for GRAW 2. The first one was good but the 2nd was great and really drives home the seemily new direction of RSE in regards to GR. Granted the same ######ty gameplay is there that destroys adversarial play but I'm sure that will be over hauled. What we did get was great missions and great maps. All we need is great gameplay and we would have the complete package.

That wouldn't make BFS survive though. They need a publisher to get payed properly, and they need a publishers pipeline for world wide distribution.

That's nonsense, wolfsong. You don't need to pay your employees! Jstonedecker has said he wants to make a tactical shooter, so surely, even if he doesn't have enough money, the game will be perfect.

(seriously, this forum is actually optimistic about something, for once. Don't break the illusion that the odds are actually good that the game will be released, and well reviewed)

(seriously, this forum is actually optimistic about something, for once. Don't break the illusion that the odds are actually good that the game will be released, and well reviewed)

I don't think they will have a problem finding a publisher when the game is playable in alpha version. :)

I'm just saying they will need one contrary to what some other posts have suggested.

I don't think they will have a problem finding a publisher when the game is playable in alpha version. :)

I'm just saying they will need one contrary to what some other posts have suggested.

They will need outside investment, that's for sure.

Respectfully

krise madsen

I am happy there is a positive outlook for a promising title (BFS) but I'm a realist,

I look at things that are dreams and see whats the chanced of making it a reality

(thats the actual dream becoming a reality, not a version of it). The first company to

release a game that becomes the true successor to [GR] will have the PC tactical world

in hot sweats. With all the toys (dedi mode, sneaky movement

interactive wounding etc etc, we've heard it all before).

The point is, no company to date has released a game that comes close, never mine

surpass RSE [Ghost Recon] and thats the niche in the market. With word of

mouth via the net and friends, that game will become the next [GR], so the community

is an important tool in marketing as myspace, youtube & goole know all too well, but

many big corps. forget time and time again because it's deamed too bigger risk to

stray from the well worn path of the mass market games.

We know it's coming, whether BFS or another third party do it only time will be the

judge and then the masses. I make comparisons with a totally different game, a

MMPORP called EvE Online by CCP. For 2 years they struggled with a cutting edge

concept that was presented in alpha & beta and were told that it was not a real time

MMPORP, then a Media (not game) company picked them up, published them in 2003

and it is today the worlds largest online mass multiplayer role playing game. With over

200,000 subscribers $14.99/month and 40,000+ players regular on the server daily on

one map in one world, it nets millions a week.

The point is nearly all companies need publishing to hit the market big, to get the

resource investment needed to pay bills & the loyal staff (you need money to live while

you develop). With good backing all the features & dreams of the original concept group

come to market in a reasonable timeline and with it comes you, your mexican wave of

critique on how dam good it is and the true sequel to the tactical fighter will be born.

I hope BFS do it but the amount of resource must be immense.

Good luck guys and if it's alpha I hope they make the wise decision of having it beta

tested by a true group of dedicated players as yourselves at Gr.net (20,000+ keys

should be good) :thumbsup: That was the best bit that GRIN ever did, it caused friction

but the feedback must of been gold.

best regards

viii

p.s. sorry for the spelling...

I was being facetious. I'm optimistic about the game, from what i've seen already i'm sure it'll do fine, i was just illustrating the fact that it isn't a done deal, and game development isn't anywhere near as simple (or cheap!) as a lot of people on this forum seem to think.

Lern 2 spel. :P

Hmmmm.... I don't see really any 'spelyn miztaex' there (though, you could argue that then should be than), only gramatical mistakes, i.e 'mexican' should be 'Mexican'

elling histakes ? I pixed them be4 you got ere ! :rofl: But Pave low might of caught them !

Lern 2 spel. :P

Hmmmm.... I don't see really any 'spelyn miztaex' there (though, you could argue that then should be than), only gramatical mistakes, i.e 'mexican' should be 'Mexican'

elling histakes ? I pixed them be4 you got ere ! :rofl: But Pave low might of caught them !

Maybe so, but the grammatical errors were never caught. :D

LMAO, there's me saying lern 2 spel and I spelt grammatical incorrectly. It should have two M's in it, but I only put one in my original post.

By the way, it's a single 'I' in 'viper' (and it should be a capital 'V'.) There's hardly any wonder the Ubi forums took a turn for the worst - it was all to do with all of the (re: Viiiper's) spelling mistakes. :rofl::whistle:

Edited by WytchDokta

GR2 for the PC was canceled some 5 months after the release of GR2 for the XBox. RSE was building GR2 for the PC at the same time they were for the box. While forced to put it on the back burner to release the box version, it didn't kill them to create both at the same time, much like they did for the original.

Ubi did cancel GR2 for the PC due to fans not wanting what was made for the box. As someone who can use his head, I along with others didn't want half a screen to flash with arrows pointing out where it was coming from everytime I got shot. That may be fine for 10 year olds, but at 40 something, I can use my head to figure such things out. GR2 was something fans didn't want. Ubi did know that.

Those indepth details were above my paygrade..lol. But I appreciate some insight like that Whiteknight. I always wondered up to this moment what "Actually" happened. Yeah then I'd say based upon your keen information and my trust in your word that, when UBISOFT bought RSE, that's when it all fell apart. so I'm now seeing the greater picture unlike before. RSE built an outstanding game only to be bought by the likes of UBISOFT and they in turn decided to make the GR franchise what they(UBISOFT) saw or wanted. I would dread the day if BFS should be bought out by UBISOFT if Ground branch should take off. <_<

What "actually" happened is also above WK's paygrade. I'm sitting with an NDA and a canceled GR2 for PC report/interview because of it. <_<

The factual pieces stated above is that the PC version was in development along side the console version, but was put to the back burner in favor of the console version.

However, I can say it was still being worked on, just not with a full force. :no:

ewww... UBISOFT make big stinky fart no doubt ZJJ..... :x

• 2 weeks later...

As I was perusing the forums earlier, I noticed blk_widow9 on here and I got to thinking. I know she has been on the Ubi forums for just a short while (she joined sometime in 07), but I kind of feel for her. Outside of her being a forum manager, I don't know about her game interests, just that she is a Ubi employee that has been thrown to the wolves, us.

I don't know if she understands how some of us feel about certain games or if she understands how we really feel about what has transpired over the years.

I would like to think she has a thick skin, but I don't know. With the GR forums practically dead (at least on the PC side) and what appears to be waning interest on the console side, I hope she is capable not letting it get under her skin when people post their dissatisfaction of Ubi's handling of once great franchises.

Perhaps the UK Forum Manager will create another thread (in the attempt to bury the previous ones - hidden in plain sight in the back pages) on the topic to help out her compatriot Black_Widow9 (Any non feedback related posts will be removed), but then that would require actually mananaging the forums over there...and we all know full well how that experiment is going/has went.

It does however make you wonder, when they can't answer the most basic of questions posed by the forum members of a particular game version on the stated platform, why the managers would not, in good conscious, pickup complementary copys of GR-DS-IT/GR:AW/GR:AW2 (PC<this being the operative), and give them a couple of whirls, so that at the very least they would have a starting point of reference -and just possibly an idea of what everyone has been trying to get accross, without success, the last few years. Not to mention (it would not be polite) :D honoring a condition of their job-description, in which somewhere in it must list actually reading the forums.

____

Not that it would make the slightest of a difference in which direction Ubi decides to sink the flagship in question, because that course has been laid, and the ship has already settled.

Outside of her being a forum manager, I don't know about her game interests, just that she is a Ubi employee that has been thrown to the wolves, us.

I try not to insult those who might be really trying to help. But I will those who come here and insult us for wanting to have a PC game that equals or betters the original GR. They showed their ###### first by coming in and telling us to get over it and move on. Most if not all of them never played the original on PC or if they did, just played the SP missions and were not part of a larger community that participated in tourneys or just got together on a regular Saturday to play CoOp with their buddies. They have no clue how the so called hardcore players really feel about this game.

Not to mention (it would not be polite) :D honoring a condition of their job-description, in which somewhere in it must list actually reading the forums.

I can assure you we do read the forums. This might not always be evident with receipt of the responses you would like but be assured we do read them and Ubisoft has clear evidence of this :thumbsup:

Outside of her being a forum manager, I don't know about her game interests, just that she is a Ubi employee that has been thrown to the wolves, us.

I try not to insult those who might be really trying to help. But I will those who come here and insult us for wanting to have a PC game that equals or betters the original GR. They showed their ###### first by coming in and telling us to get over it and move on. Most if not all of them never played the original on PC or if they did, just played the SP missions and were not part of a larger community that participated in tourneys or just got together on a regular Saturday to play CoOp with their buddies. They have no clue how the so called hardcore players really feel about this game.

I'm not sure who you mean by 'they' but I have at no point told anyone to get over it and move on.

Further more I do understand why you like/ love the original GR and am very familiar with the game, and not only the SP but MP. Whilst I only played the PC version in single player there were minimal differences between the PC and Xbox version which I could easily detail here for you should that help. I not only played it online most nights and was a very active member of the mp community but set up, organised and ran many many online tournaments on the game so with respect I would suggest it is actually you who has no clue about me/us ;)

Edited by kleaneasy

I try not to insult those who might be really trying to help.
That part was directed at you and BW and anyone who is really trying to assist the community, sorry for the misunderstanding, I'm not the best writer.

As I was perusing the forums earlier, I noticed blk_widow9 on here and I got to thinking. I know she has been on the Ubi forums for just a short while (she joined sometime in 07), but I kind of feel for her. Outside of her being a forum manager, I don't know about her game interests, just that she is a Ubi employee that has been thrown to the wolves, us.

I don't know if she understands how some of us feel about certain games or if she understands how we really feel about what has transpired over the years.

I would like to think she has a thick skin, but I don't know. With the GR forums practically dead (at least on the PC side) and what appears to be waning interest on the console side, I hope she is capable not letting it get under her skin when people post their dissatisfaction of Ubi's handling of once great franchises.

I would love to say that it never does get under my skin but that would be a lie. I do have pretty thick skin though, I just have to remind myself sometimes your not attacking me. >_< What frustrates me the most is thinking that you all don't believe we have your best intentions in mind. We are honestly doing our best to bring you what information we can even if it's no information and send your wants up the chain. I do know how you feel about this game because of the amount of frustration/love/ideas to improve it or make it what you want that you all post on a daily basis. I have learned quite a bit of history about the franchise from all of you even though I was only familiar with the game.

A little background for you- I've been playing video games for about 19 years. I don't play many PC games because there is no way I would be able to afford the comp upgrade. :) I don't really have a particular genre of game that I like more because I play what hits me at the moment. I like RPG or puzzle games mostly because I like to solve problems and shooters when I'm mad because I also work in Customer Service :devil:. However if something looks really great I'll get it and play all the way through w/o cheats trying to get everything in the game. I get pretty anal about it. :lol:

I'm usually open to any game because I like to see what's out there and I appreciate variety. My all time favorite games are; Goldeneye, Ocarina of Time, Galaga, Fable, Tetris and Heroes of Might and Magic. Hope that gives you a little insight and thanks for your interest. I'm sure it's not Hard Core enough for most of you but I have been around for a while.:)

Edited by blk_widow9