Ubi forums takes a turn for the worse

krise madsen

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't say Harntrox stayed within the GR1 target zone or realism. His stuff was a lot more action oriented then the original game. But we'll see.

That is one mans opinion.. I dare say that Harn did as much for the longevity of this game as anyone else, like his work or not, he has SKILL, and you can't take that away. Lifes also full of choices. :thumbsup:

Who do want to bring you the next great GR Style game?

Well I must say that BFS seems to be the only studio that is trying to create something that would be playable over and over and over again and that's something that has been missing since Island Thunder was last released. :yes: UBI seems intent on cranking out games where you pop them in and it's golly gee that sure looks cool for about 15 minutes then you realize how lame and frustrating the linear gameplay is and uninstall it. :wall:

Klean, do you really want fans of gamers to believe what Ubi says about themselves listening and providing information? Get SERGE HASCOËT, Chief Creative Officer to come answer questions at the Ubi forum about how Ubi intends to show that gamers really matter to Ubi and what they will do to rewin over fans of R6 and GR and how he will help repair the rift and mistrust.

I wouldn't say Harntrox stayed within the GR1 target zone of realism. His stuff was a lot more action oriented then the original game. But we'll see.

That is one mans opinion.. I dare say that Harn did as much for the longevity of this game as anyone else, like his work or not, he has SKILL, and you can't take that away. Lifes also full of choices. :thumbsup:

Longevity has nothing to do with it, and I said nothing about skills. I just don't think that he stayed to realism as much as the original game and many other mods that even improved on it. Which has a lot to do with that subject as it's realism that has been asked for.

Longevity has nothing to do with it, and I said nothing about skills. I just don't think that he stayed to realism as much as the original game and many other mods that even improved on it. Which has a lot to do with that subject as it's realism that has been asked for.

Harntrox was brought up by MONOLITH in response to this statement by krise

And make sure the people in charge really understand GR1 and what made it great.
the you posted what you did, I took it as an attempt to discount the accomplishements that Harntrox had brought to the GR communitiy at large.. sorry if that's not how you meant it, but that's sure how I read it. - My bad

- My bad

No, it's not.

The exact words being used don't really matter, it's the issue behind them that you picked up on. Which makes you right.

Despite any public ranting towards GRIN, towards GRAW2, or even towards Wolfsong, who has been my friend for 8 years, I unyieldingly publically stick up for all 3 of those entities, relentlessly.

And anytime I had any sort of a critical question or critique, I gave it to Wolfsong behind close doors, away from public eye.

I consider it some simple peer to peer industry courtesy.

Two times, at different websites, I have made statements about BFS; and both times, publically, Wolfsong cast doubt and criticism upon it.

It would be nice, if I could have gotten that simple peer to peer industry courtesy back.

But that's okay. Both of our actions speak volumes towards our characters, and that's enough for me.

The message in my post on the previous page, remains intact.

Edited by MONOLITH

I've said that I'll wait to pass judgment until I've tested the demo, then we'll see what the game will be like. For now I see BFS as a blank page, and do so because I want to be able to judge the game when its done from a neutral point of view.

EDIT: I'm also not a person that get my hopes up too much before I get my hands on something. Which is why I don't see the big deal some people have about feeling betrayed by publishers/developers and all that when they finally get to play the game. It is what it is when the public can test it, and then I'll most likely gonna love it. But right now there is no way to make that judgment.

Just to avoid any misunderstandings:

I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, well, except Ubi. I wasn't at the meetings or privvy to comunication between Ubi and GRIN so who did what and why is unknown to me, and it's not terribly important anyway.

I had never heard of John Sonedecker or Harntox before joining the BFS forums and apart from the fact that their pedigree hold considerable promise for Ground Branch, I don't really care what they did in the past. What I care about is what they'll produce with Ground Branch.

I'm not one to go into hype-mode at the first sight of a new game. I've had grave doubts of most shooters since OR6 and in most cases my doubts proved to be right. But everything I've learned about Ground Branch has been right up my alley. I have plenty of doubts about Ground Branch: Will they get the necessarily financing? Will the game be stable and relatively bug-free? Will the hardware requirements be too steep? Lots of doubts and worries. But gameplay - and gameplay is the single most important issue - has me completely satisfied. Not because I've seen it, but because, as Colin mentioned, the people designing Ground Branch has displayed the the right mindset from day one. When playing OR6 and GR1 the first time, the thing that really struck me was "these guys really get it". I have the same feeling about Ground Branch.

I'm not really blaming Ubi for abandoning the GR1 concept either. That's their choice as IP owners. I certainly don't approve, but I can hardly claim any "ownership" to GR.

Considering how the GR community craves interaction with the makers of the game(s), Ubi has been horrible at PR, plain and simple, but that pertain to any game the feeds of community interaction.

I played GR1 co-op with my friends a few days ago, having not played it for a couple of years. Compared to all the other shooters we've played since then it does indeed reveal how primitive the technology was back then. But it still blows anything made since away. GR1 still rule supreme.

So, as I mentioned in my previous post, if you want to make something to appeal to those who liked GR1, the game designers have to have played GR1 and found anything else wanting. This doesn't necessarily mean that they should create a carbon copy of GR1, but disregarding its immense qualities would be pure folly.

GRAW failed (and by "fail" I mean didn't cater to the GR1 vets). But so claim that it was because the GRIN staff was in any way unable to create a good game is just folly.

I'm still intrigued by why Ubi decided to create a separate PC version of GRAW. I can't get it to add up and I'm really curious. I'd really like to know. I won't make any promises, but I'll try my best not to rant and point fingers if they do explain it.

Respectfully

krise madsen

I've said that I'll wait to pass judgment until I've tested the demo, then we'll see what the game will be like. For now I see BFS as a blank page, and do so because I want to be able to judge the game when its done from a neutral point of view.

EDIT: I'm also not a person that get my hopes up too much before I get my hands on something. Which is why I don't see the big deal some people have about feeling betrayed by publishers/developers and all that when they finally get to play the game. It is what it is when the public can test it, and then I'll most likely gonna love it. But right now there is no way to make that judgment.

please note the bolded. Because of Ubisofts incessant(sp?) over controlling attitude toward Grin, is why alot of people aren't getting their hopes up either

as for why you see no big deal about people feeling betrayed by devs/publishers is because we loved GR1, ubisoft got us rock hard about GR2, I mean wow, it was close to being done and the plug got pulled. Then Ubisoft dropped the entire game and went to GRAW which totally nuts. I understand that Grin got their bills paid and made a living for being the developer. But the analogy is like going to see a rambo movie but instead actually show you a Jane Fonda touchy feely movie.

the whole mess of Ghost Recon in essence and content(tactical gameplay etc) got lost/tossed out.

as for why you see no big deal about people feeling betrayed by devs/publishers is because we loved GR1, ubisoft got us rock hard about GR2, I mean wow, it was close to being done and the plug got pulled. Then Ubisoft dropped the entire game and went to GRAW which totally nuts. I understand that Grin got their bills paid and made a living for being the developer. But the analogy is like going to see a rambo movie but instead actually show you a Jane Fonda touchy feely movie.

I know, I was there. But I didn't have any expectations about GRAW when I first played it. And because of that I felt it was an ok game and really can't justify much of what I reed people post about it. It wasn't as good as GR1 and it was a bit different, but definently playable and enjoyable game, and I feel it was better then GR2 which I didn't like even compared to the console version of GR1, although that was much worse then the PC version.

I'm not one to go into hype-mode at the first sight of a new game.
All (posted) evidence to the contrary...respectfully :D

Many of them at least. :D

I had the OICW. The punk that messed me up lobbed a nade just far enough that i was at the end of the blast radius lol

I recall very few people crying about rifle nades back in the day, especially when the squads that were good with it would fire 6 from each player as soon as the map dropped. Nowadays you blow up one guy and people complain like you just knifed their sister..........:D

Lol Brok made a multiplayer mod of one of the sp maps with a 6 shot GR launcher and it has a sight lol i havent played Sp so i hadnt seen it before this he also made it so we had the Zues, imagine peeps then there would be hell, i dont mind them as sometimes they are fun but i say they are in the game and as long as they dont give an unfair advantage then let all use them. :)

Klean, do you really want fans of gamers to believe what Ubi says about themselves listening and providing information? Get SERGE HASCOËT, Chief Creative Officer to come answer questions at the Ubi forum about how Ubi intends to show that gamers really matter to Ubi and what they will do to rewin over fans of R6 and GR and how he will help repair the rift and mistrust.

I can't comment on whether thats possible or not but I will say this.... making such a request based on the idea xyz development house/ studio did isnt really being realistic or reasonable for that matter. There is a huge difference as you well know between a small independant development studio and a large publishing company so while I can see why you would ask its unreasonable IMO to say their not doing so means they arent serious. I will of course pass those comments back as requested but I second the comments I've posted before.... IF the CCO were to post and make those statements would you immediatly assume that means the next game will be what you want? No of course not so actually within reason for some of you there is little anyone can do, you will make your mind up when you see visible evidence of the game and not before regardless of any such 'jestures' you request. Thats not to say making that opinion based on the actual pysical evidence is a bad idea, quite to the contrary but it does mean that some of the requests being made to 'demonstrate' this new communication etc wont actually resolve your concerns and as such what will fulfilling them change??

That said I think I've probably bored you all more than enough on this and everyone does seem to have moved on to very different subject matter so i'll leave the subject in peice, and as stated many times before my doors always open if anyone wants to talk to me further about this or anything else just give me a shout in pt here or at Ubi :thumbsup:

Hmm i just thought of something

Since we are talking about UBI and information i might as well ask. Will there be a GRAW3 for PC, or is it in the works besides "End War" and who will be developing it?

Or will there be another patch for GRAW2?

These are the things gamers are wondering, and we have not been informed of. Note i didn't say any dates, times or other stuff. We just would like general information to keep our hopes alive.

Since we are talking about UBI and information i might as well ask. Will there be a GRAW3 for PC, or is it in the works besides "End War" and who will be developing it?

EndWar PC will be the GR2 PC of the RTS world.

Rocky. March 2007.

Technically the next installement would be GR4 not GRAW 3

End War is developed by Ubisoft Shanghai and the press information I have on it makes no mention of PC, I am not aware of it being announced for PC but I will double check.

Or will there be another patch for GRAW2?

These are the things gamers are wondering, and we have not been informed of. Note i didn't say any dates, times or other stuff. We just would like general information to keep our hopes alive.

I will ask and see what I can find out :thumbsup:

Replying to the patch question.

Yes there would have to be another patch, to fix some issues with the previous one.

And also to fix issues with the game itself, I think the biggest main one still is cant find member, this one causes complete shut down on some systems, and game ends on many others.

The game and its content are still supported and would have to be for a while at least because Ubisoft have stated on many occasions they will support the product.

So yes there would have to be another patch.

End War is developed by Ubisoft Shanghai and the press information I have on it makes no mention of PC, I am not aware of it being announced for PC but I will double check.

Nine months ago in the first EndWar developer video right at the end mentioned it was for the PC. Personally I think this was either a mistake, or Ubisoft changed their mind since, so I've been making a bit of a nuiscence of myself in the EndWar frorum making that point.

It'd be nice to hear for sure either way, I think you'll be gagged from saying anything on that subject though, as Ubisoft doesn't like to be upfront in situations like this, as history has shown *cough* GR2 *cough*.

Nine months ago in the first EndWar developer video right at the end mentioned it was for the PC. Personally I think this was either a mistake, or Ubisoft changed their mind since, so I've been making a bit of a nuiscence of myself in the EndWar frorum making that point.

It'd be nice to hear for sure either way, I think you'll be gagged from saying anything on that subject though, as Ubisoft doesn't like to be upfront in situations like this, as history has shown *cough* GR2 *cough*

noted the bolded text. lol yeah, kinda like being lead on by a woman. ;)

It'd be nice to hear for sure either way, I think you'll be gagged from saying anything on that subject though, as Ubisoft doesn't like to be upfront in situations like this, as history has shown *cough* GR2 *cough*.

That is why i asked.... UBISOFT has been confusing on this...

And endwar is susposed to take off right where GRAW 2 left off... BUT it's an RTS not a FPS so i don't consider it the same. I think Klean in trying to dig up patch info and endwar info may start to see what we have been seeing. We have no information... (Or conflicting) Unless UBISOFT announces it we don't know and game magazined just speculate.

Update

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/tomclanc...dwar/index.html

Notice gamespot has in with the pc section. UBISOFT needs to announce this clearly though or PC gamers will once again be dissappointed. This is my point of The confusion us non consolers have. I bet every screenshot and trailer are xbox though even if announced for PC.

... bet every screenshot and trailer are xbox though even if announced for PC.

It's Ubisoft's MO. Use the Xbox screenies for all versions' advertisements. They did it with both AW episodes. Why change winning form? It seemed to have at least done wonders for their console version sales!

You have to think if Ubisoft wonder why such a highly acclaimed series only has one fully functioning "fan" site these days. The sad thing is, indications are that not only do they not know why, they don't really seem to care why, that's the worrying thing.

Sorry to jump in so late, and basically ignore the last 6 pages, but just wanted to respond to the above

GR Retreat is still "alive" but has very sparse updates because honestly, Ubi gives us almost next to nothing worthwhile to post. Same goes for their Splinter Cell franchise too.

I agree that Ubi PR does not seem to care about fansites. They seem content to send info to the big gaming sites (GameSpot, IGN etc) and create their temporary promotional "communities" that they promptly shut down soon after sales of a new release drop after a month. Contrast this to a company like Blizzard who actually trust their own "community relations" people they hire to interact with the public.

Ubi is obviously not interested in supporting and nurturing a long-lasting fan-base for their games. Or keeping up interest in a product between iterations.

But to be honest, there's really no point complaining as nothing will change in the forseeable future.

While the GR.net community is still going strong, and we all have our love of [GR] to tie us together, it seems many of us are resigned to relying on non-GR games to satisfy our gaming needs these days. So I don't think we should change the name of this website as [GR] is what has brought most of us together, even though we're playing different games now.

I knew about blk_widow's position right about the time she started. I was asked to create her an account her and send her the log in information, which I did. Since she posted here today for the first time, I guess she got it. However, I was told that she would be a regular presence here and at Ubi forums and would be very interactive with the members. I don't see what I was told happening here.

I have to tell you I tried for months to log on and it didn't happen so I gave up but I was here. Just as a viewer... It finally worked for me the other day though. :)

I will be vulnerable and let you all know that as a console gamer it can be very hard to answer computer specific related questions like checking the right settings. This however, does not mean that I don't understand or care about the issues that you have with the changes in GRAW, problems with patches and general concerns. You generally speaking have similar points of view and explain your issues so we can deduct the problems or communicate to others about the problems you are having. It's not hard to tell an experienced GR player from a new one. You guys/gals really put your heart and soul into this game.

[Edit: Quote fixed]

Edited by Pave Low