PS3 outsells the Xbox 360 in January

Hatchetforce

The PS3 outsold the Xbox 360 in the US during January by 17%. MS had stated they had shortages in January but no one is buying that story.

http://kotaku.com/356800/sony-responds-to-...s-seems-pleased

Sony almost caught the Wii as well:

- Wii: 274K

- PS3: 269K

- PS2: 264K

- DS Lite: 251K

- Xbox 360: 230K

- PSP: 230K

Edited by Hatchetforce

What amazes me is that Sony is still selling almost as many PS2s as PS3s. :wacko:

No wonder MS released a statement about a "shortage" ....

That was a pre-emptive strike trying to quell concerns. Funny thing is the entire time the Best Buy near me had mini pyramids of 360s including one of elites. I am not surprsed because analysts predicted this two years ago.

What amazes me is that Sony is still selling almost as many PS2s as PS3s. :wacko:

No wonder MS released a statement about a "shortage" ....

I have been thinking the same thing for several months every time I see the ps2 sales figures. Several months ago the ps2 was selling a lot better then the ps3.

I just don't understand who these people are that are buying the console. Either really really late adopters, or people replacing their old fatter ps2 with the slim version. That is just an insane amount of ps2's being bought especially considering I never see anyone leaving a store with one ever.

Here are some interesting predictions for sales of consoles in the future: Wii To Lead Hardware Race In 2008, PS3 By 2011

Although, by 2011 I'm sure the next line up of consoles will be preparing to hit the market.

Edited by dporter

Dare I say it, spins from either camp, put aside, but I'm impressed by the numbers, these for a system that's been out for some time. The fact that the X360 is still putting up numbers like that in this market, you'd only expect to see sales slip as the market becomes saturated, especially in light of the fact that the wii & ps3 actually offer it competition, that it didn't really have in the past.

MS knows this is not good. Other than the US and possibly Great Britain, the PS3 is outselling the 360 everywhere. People ignored the fact that according to official numbers and statements by both camps, the PS3 outsold the 360 worldwide in 2007. With companies like EA making statements about the predicted high PS3 sales - this also makes them look at resource allocations - this does not bode well for MS. Combine this with the Bluray victory, increasing DVD9 issues and it is bad for Redmond.

I will bet Activision chiefs are feeling pretty stupid right now.

Hardware sales are what determine the install base, therefore they matter. Considering the future rate of hardware sales allows companies to predict what the install base will be for a particular platform and thus determine whether to allocate more resources to support the projected install base. This is what Midway has done. Based on their statements it is likely what EA will do. Otherwise companies would still be making strictly PS2 titles.

Well after visiting the local Best Buy again tonight I don't think the claims of 360 shortages are all that far fetched. My Best Buy didn't have anything in stock for the xbox 360 and hasn't really had anything since just before Christmas. I remember seeing mounds of 360's as well, but that was towards the end of November, beginning of December. Mileage may vary though. Some areas might have more then others.

I was thinking about the comparison to the wii numbers as well but I can't help thinking that if they had more of a stock in the stores that the wii would just absolutely destroy both the 360 and the ps3. I mean seriously, the thing has been out of stock everywhere for over a year now since it's launch. That is impressive. The only way I was able to even get one was from one of those offer deals where you complete an offer and get 5 other people to complete an offer.

Perhaps its just me but I see no reason for anyone to be worrying about those figures at least not MS. Its common sense that somewhere along the line its sales would drop when faced with much newer systems in competition, yet despite this competition and hardware failure issues it continues to sell well which can only say that despite its problems people like the system.

Sony on the other hand appear to have a customer base hapier to buy its old system over its new one which is a litle odd, is this purely because the PS3 is beyond most wallets or is there more to it?

Nintendo are without doubt the winners so far in all of this and if i am completly honest i tire of people comparing the PS3 and Xbox360 and arguing over which is better. They both have good and bad points but in general they are pretty much on par and as Rocky said above those sales figures do mean we the buyer has a great deal of power at the moment. Competition is our greatest friend and you wont see me complaining

PS2 has mainly been selling to the people who would maybe buy a Wii, which are people who play Singstar, Guitar Hero and the Buzz games for parties or family fun. These are the titles that brought new life to the PS2 for sure, as they for a long time where for PS2 only.

There is also the RPG crowd, which really don't have many titles on the new consoles and PS2 is still pumping them out. There are now 2 on 360 (Mass Effect and Lost Odyssey) and so far 0 on PS3 and a half baked one on Wii.

Sony on the other hand appear to have a customer base hapier to buy its old system over its new one which is a litle odd,

Ha, that's an interesting way to look at those figures, I never noticed that. It's not quite true though, the PS3 is outselling the PS2, the margin is very tight though.

I think what that clearly shows is that there is a market out there for a cheaper console, and people are not at all bothered that it's not the latest thing.

Another way to look at those two figures is that Sony is outselling Microsoft in the console market by a ratio of 2 to 1 approximately.

Perhaps its just me but I see no reason for anyone to be worrying about those figures at least not MS. Its common sense that somewhere along the line its sales would drop when faced with much newer systems in competition, yet despite this competition and hardware failure issues it continues to sell well which can only say that despite its problems people like the system.

Sony on the other hand appear to have a customer base hapier to buy its old system over its new one which is a litle odd, is this purely because the PS3 is beyond most wallets or is there more to it?

Nintendo are without doubt the winners so far in all of this and if i am completly honest i tire of people comparing the PS3 and Xbox360 and arguing over which is better. They both have good and bad points but in general they are pretty much on par and as Rocky said above those sales figures do mean we the buyer has a great deal of power at the moment. Competition is our greatest friend and you wont see me complaining

If anyone takes two minutes to add up the costs the PS3 is hardly beyond a wallet.

Consider the 360 @ $349.

Add just 3 years of LIVE at $44 = $132 + $349 and that is $481 right there. That doesn't take into account the fact that the PS3 has built in wireless, or a built in HD player - Bluray, the winning one in the format wars I might add.

The Wii is fine for some of it's games but ask yourself this. If I take away the controller what kind of game do I have. Would that game still be what it is with a regular gamepad? I have a Wii and use it for Metroid and a few Gamecube titles but I don't see next gen in that box. And anyone that played Metroid Prime 3 or Red Stell knows what crap the aiming in those games was once you get past the hype.

If you listen to that podcast I linked in another thread I would say I agree with IGN. MS is in a very bad place. Of course you have to hear that podcast first to see what they mean but the points are pretty solid.

Also a great many people have been sitting on the fence waiting on two things. A lot of people have been waiting on a clear format wear winner. Spend some time at Evil Avatar or Neo and see what a great many people are saying. The other group are the PS2 loyalists that have been waiting on what they term the big PS3 titles. Those are coming this year beginning with MGS4. With the new FF titles coming, KZ2 and the like the fence sitters will come down in numbers.

Edited by Hatchetforce

Heh, me and Kleaneasy have to pay the equivalent of $450 for a 360, UK prices *sigh*.

On the wii, there are a huge number of games that simply don't "belong", but there are some that are built for the wii and I can't see working on other systems. At the moment Rayman Raving Rabbids is our household favourite :thumbsup: Made by Ubisoft too, whowouldofthought...

One other thing to consider. If you plan on having your 360 for more than 3 years, what do you do about service when it breaks then. I bring this up because with 4 under my belt they do break. My latest is a HALO edition and it didn't have a Falcon chipset either.

Heh, me and Kleaneasy have to pay the equivalent of $450 for a 360, UK prices *sigh*.

On the wii, there are a huge number of games that simply don't "belong", but there are some that are built for the wii and I can't see working on other systems. At the moment Rayman Raving Rabbids is our household favourite :thumbsup: Made by Ubisoft too, whowouldofthought...

Ha, Ubisoft. Not in my good graces at the moment. Vegas 2? Seen my comments over there?

Edited by Hatchetforce

I have basically no interest in the 360. It's a fancy console, and its got some sweet games, but I CANNOT wait to get my PS3, for the sole fact that MGS4 is coming out later this year. That is the only reason I honestly care to get one or the other regardless, and I think the PS3 comes with some pretty nice stuff. I gotta start saving up my money.

The Wii is fine for some of it's games but ask yourself this. If I take away the controller what kind of game do I have. Would that game still be what it is with a regular gamepad?

Well, I don't think that's really fair to the wii. Kind of hard to bring it into comparison to 360 and ps3. Kind of a league of it's own. It's also not really fair to talk about taking away the wii controller since it is basically an integral part of the wii.

Shooter games are not that great on the wii and I'll give you that, but that is not why we have ours. Nothing brings the family together like the wii does and I think that is it's selling point. There isn't a single game on the 360 or ps3 where I can get the whole family together and we can all participate instead of just them watching me play. I really love our bowling tournament nights or playing tennis against the neighbors. Next gen graphics, no. Extremely interactive console, yes. I have had to sell two xbox 360's now for various reasons, but we will not part with the wii.

Not to get all sentimental, but anything that can force us to spend more time together as a family and actually enjoy each other's company is high on my list.

If anyone takes two minutes to add up the costs the PS3 is hardly beyond a wallet.

Consider the 360 @ $349.

Add just 3 years of LIVE at $44 = $132 + $349 and that is $481 right there. That doesn't take into account the fact that the PS3 has built in wireless, or a built in HD player - Bluray, the winning one in the format wars I might add.

The Wii is fine for some of it's games but ask yourself this. If I take away the controller what kind of game do I have. Would that game still be what it is with a regular gamepad? I have a Wii and use it for Metroid and a few Gamecube titles but I don't see next gen in that box. And anyone that played Metroid Prime 3 or Red Stell knows what crap the aiming in those games was once you get past the hype.

If you listen to that podcast I linked in another thread I would say I agree with IGN. MS is in a very bad place. Of course you have to hear that podcast first to see what they mean but the points are pretty solid.

Also a great many people have been sitting on the fence waiting on two things. A lot of people have been waiting on a clear format wear winner. Spend some time at Evil Avatar or Neo and see what a great many people are saying. The other group are the PS2 loyalists that have been waiting on what they term the big PS3 titles. Those are coming this year beginning with MGS4. With the new FF titles coming, KZ2 and the like the fence sitters will come down in numbers.

I have to disagree with the Wii assessment here. I do not think that the Wii is even trying to compete in the same realm as the PS3 or 360. I also do not think the controller is all hype either. Dporter mentioned bowling with the Wii controller. Now I have not tried a Wii, but THAT sounds like something I would love if sports games were of interest to me. Not to mention, baseball, tennis, QB in a football game, etc... The possibilities are simply endless.

Now regarding the 360 vs the PS3, I listened to the podcast, and although the future is never 100% certain, I think MS does look like they may be in for some rough sailing. Especially in light of the fact that Toshiba is dropping its HD DVD line, I would say that things are not looking good for MS. Now of course MS will always have a fanbase, but I have doubts that 360 will keep up with the PS3 for the long haul.

Edited by FA sear

My point about the controller seems to have been missed. I am not saying W#ii games are not enjoyable. My wife would certainly disagree. My point goes to discussion of next gen. There is nothing about the Wii once you pull the controller that says NEXT GEN. Of course it is selling like mad - I bought one. And enjoyment matters above all. But as far as ground breaking advances where I can be immersed in another world I don't see that coming from the Wii.

Edited by Hatchetforce

Now I have not tried a Wii, but THAT sounds like something I would love if sports games were of interest to me. Not to mention, baseball, tennis, QB in a football game, etc... The possibilities are simply endless.

I don't know if you are aware, but the wii sports pack that comes free has ten pin bowling, tennis, baseball all included. They are extreme fun, and manage a very cool trick of being very skillful games, but at the same time even the kids can master it, and it still be a challenge for adults. Bowling with the wii controller is sheer genius and works even better than I had imagined. The tennis, great fun and a good work out too, I know a 7 year old kid that beats me easily - actually, he beat me on the baseball too.

For me, that single bundle of sports games alone made the admission price worth it.