Microsoft - "the worst customer service"

Rocky

... this is honestly the worst customer service experience I have ever had with any company.

I remember reading how HF ditched his 360 largely because of Microsoft's customer care, this experience would seem to echo that sentiment.

The summary - the guy spent cash buying movies and DLC through XLive, after a red ring of death he was sent a replacement X360, and now he can't access any of his paid for content unless his X360 is connected to the internet - and other restrictions. Msoft's solution - well, they don't have one,

"don't call us, we'll call you.".

Maybe it's my failing memory, but I just don't recall all these next gen issues with "previous" gen.

I agree MS is way to tight waded on this! They need to just tie everything to just your gamertag and not the console also. Just the Gamertag! So if you do break down all you have to do is recover your gamertag and DL everthing again at the most. Even still most the time you allowed to hold onto your HD so you don't even have to do that much. Yet again just as long as you are online that is just how it is. Just put it back on and play! Its just once you take the internet off you have problems.

So far i been extremly lucky with the x360 compared to the reports on the web about them breaking down. My first console lasted long enough for me to get a new falcon model hope it last even longer if not the rest of the gen! Once i got my new one i did have to call MS to get everything working with the new console for offline times. Toke about 30 to 45 mins on the phone and a week waiting time. Just so i dont have to worry about the internet going down and losen the right to use my stuff. Anyways i agree 100% this is BS and MS needs to change this rule. I know if i have internet all the time this aint much of a issue or even a worry, but there is always that once or twice it does go down or maybe even move to a new home. Where you dont have internet and dont have the right to your own stuff. Well unless you want to call and waste 30 to 45 mins on the phone and wait a week just so you never have to worry about it like i have.

I did read your link Rocky and even knowen i had to go through this once. Im glad it wasn't even close to how bad he says it was. Phone time for me was about half and even the waiting time is more than half. Its very simple all you have to have is your, what you call it reffrence number? From there they know you had it repaired and they right on it no more question asked. Anyways maybe some people are really haven this much trouble with the console and even MS reps, but i swear they maken it harder then it really needs to be or just plain maken it up! It is BS that MS does this to being with, but come on everyone i know that has had a problem. MS toke care of them very fast or gave them a free game if they had to wait more than afew weeks. Again it is pure BS that you have to do it in the first place, but MS does take care of you in a timely manner or they comp you for taken so long! Maybe im wrong, but i swear all these horror storys on the net are made from 3 kinds of people, unlikely timeing people, Idiots or fanboy trolls! If you go out in the real world and meet or just talk to people in person and not just on the web. The horror storys aint anywhere as bad. Anyone and everyone can say anything on the web even tring to be multipeople maken it worse than it really is. Like i said i could be wrong, but in real life face to face just talking to gamers. The web storys seem to fall short. Again maybe im truely wrong its just i dont see it outside the web like the web trys to make you believe. Thats just me thought i guess, i know its bad just not that bad with custumer care.

Here's another good one:

Why you should think twice before upgrading your 360

It's like Mr. Garrisons "IT" monowheel in the South Park episode "The Entity": There is no reason why it should be any more complex than pressing a button, but they just have to ###### you in the a**. It's almost as if MS can't help themselves. The notion of making money simply by providing a superior product seem completely alien to them.

I don't think MicroSoft's future is particularly bright. And they have only themselves to thank for it.

Respectfully

krise madsen

It's like Mr. Garrisons "IT" monowheel in the South Park episode "The Entity": There is no reason why it should be any more complex than pressing a button, but they just have to ###### you in the a**.

I don't think that's really quite fair. Handling a system as complex as Xbox live, and all of its' internal functions, in an organized manner is very difficult. You need a lot of formal systems and checks to keep management of it running smoothly, i'm sure there are a lot of elements relative to the law and finance of it that we aren't aware of, and a lot of procedures probably aren't very easy to alter.

Microsoft certainly messeed this up, yeah -- but it's not really the display of childlike ineptitude that you guys are making it out to be. A few little policies and procedures and systems not streamlined quite enough and the whole thing can fall apart. On the one hand, you could say a company like MS should do better than this. But on the other, when life was launched (and, naturally, this system still has that same core architecture -- it looks like a lack of modularity and updateability, either on an administrative or software level, that causes all of these problems) nobody had done anything like this before. It's hard to knock their achievement just because their DRMs don't quite work and their customer support doesn't know how to fix that. They're just trying to do their jobs.

That said, ever since i replaced my xbox i can only run xbla games when logged into live, which, yeah, really sucks.

I agree MS is way to tight waded on this! They need to just tie everything to just your gamertag and not the console also. Just the Gamertag! So if you do break down all you have to do is recover your gamertag and DL everthing again at the most. Even still most the time you allowed to hold onto your HD so you don't even have to do that much. Yet again just as long as you are online that is just how it is. Just put it back on and play! Its just once you take the internet off you have problems.

Kind of like Steam then. Everything is registered on your gamertag and you can access all those things from any computer with an internet connection.

Since you basically get the same features with a free Steam-account that you get with an expensive Live-account, I don't understand the point of Windows Live. Xbox Live I get since you can't get Steam on Xbox, but Windows Live just shows how greedy they are at MS.

A bit OT, sorry.

Edited by Hockeystick

I don't think that's really quite fair. Handling a system as complex as Xbox live, and all of its' internal functions, in an organized manner is very difficult. You need a lot of formal systems and checks to keep management of it running smoothly, i'm sure there are a lot of elements relative to the law and finance of it that we aren't aware of, and a lot of procedures probably aren't very easy to alter.

I'm not saying it's ineptitude (360 HD transfer), I'm saying it's deliberate. I'm saying that if I'm to sink money into a completely MS-controlled proprietary system, it had better be an awful lot better, simpler and more hazzle-free than anything on an open system like the PC. When I go with something like the 360 and XBL, I'm totally at MS mercy. So they better deliver on everything, all the time.

Respectfully

krise madsen

Kind of like Steam then. Everything is registered on your gamertag and you can access all those things from any computer with an internet connection.

Since you basically get the same features with a free Steam-account that you get with an expensive Live-account, I don't understand the point of Windows Live. Xbox Live I get since you can't get Steam on Xbox, but Windows Live just shows how greedy they are at MS.

A bit OT, sorry.

Ah, i completely agree with you there. Live is impressive for a console system, but windows live is inept and amateur next to steam.

I think this goes for the software as well, I spoke to a guy in you know where a while back, re not being able to set up a server sided hard drive.

I just could not log into it. Vista 64 bit.

I felt after about 6 mins I knew more than he did, and I just hung up in disgust.

In fact the tec net forum is where we got it sorted between 6 members with a similar problem, no MS help at all.

I do feel some times the best place to sort out issues is a forum, so much experience and knowlege.

Edited by Colin

Wow, all of this sounds really bad. Well, I refuse to buy another Sony product, and it sounds as though I should not buy a 360, so maybe I should go back to gaming on a PC. I will probably buy another PC in a couple years, and if MS has not sorted all this out, and installed an HD DVD drive, or Blueray drive as standard equipment, then I may just buy a better PC and go back to gaming on one.

The whole point of gaming on a console is simplicity. Jeez. >_<