Has anyone got out alive?

this post might be a little off topic.

after playing the whole graw SP again and playing the COD4 SP a few days ago i found myself feeling very disconnected with graw. there is enough of a story for you to feel immersed, but enough missing from it where its kind of just you running around a city with a bunch of borderline retarded teammates shooting mexicans and nothing else.

i would have proferred no cinematic stylings since the game would have felt more like [GR] than an attempt at an interactive action movie. its too in between both spectrums, it just feels weird playing it. its still a fun game, but the SP just gives me a weird, unsatisfied feeling throughout.

i would have proferred no cinematic stylings since the game would have felt more like [GR] than an attempt at an interactive action movie. its too in between both spectrums, it just feels weird playing it. its still a fun game, but the SP just gives me a weird, unsatisfied feeling throughout.

Have you tried the Nocom mod? It made the game actually playable for me. So much so that it inspired me to do a similar mod for graw1. Now that I've experienced graw2 without the narcom, I'll never go back to playing it with that nonsense again.

at the level <the last stand>, has anyone got out alive from the missile silo??

THX :rocky::)

By the start of the mission, I was already thinking "what the F?!!" but still managed to survive by placing my troops at a nearby corner and started sniping away at every living thing I came across. Insane quickly turned to Ridiculous after I reached the toll gate, received my Marine support who thinks it's impossible to walk 5 steps forward, and started getting pummeled by random mortar fire. Realizing that my support troops are as useful as a grilled cheese sandwich(less, in fact), I quickly set my ghost team to 'assault'/'follow' and started running for my life towards the other side of the bridge. It was by the time I got hit in the face by 2 rockets, which were fired by a chopper the second it spawned right in front of me, that I immediately decided that this game(or the campaign to be exact) could simply F!@$@ right off.

Being a big hater for cliffhangers though, I switched to the next best thing and simply watched a video walkthrough of the final mission of the xbox version just to see the ending cutscene.

(and here i thought that "Save the journalist" mission crap was bad enough already <_<)

And that's how the game ended for me. Pathetic, I know, but I'm pretty sure you guys would understand, right? ;)

Edited by mark2000

It was by the time I got hit in the face by 2 rockets, which were fired by a chopper the second it spawned right in front of me,

It always spawns in the same spot far out on the right side when the player has almost reached the "hole in the fence" in the middle of the bridge. So it can't have spawned right in front of you if you looked around a little and stopped running.

Some more advice is that you'll find it very hard to get hit by the mortar fire, which is only there to make the player take cover in the border station for the coming wave across the bridge, which includes a Panhard which will take out anything in the open quite fast.

It was by the time I got hit in the face by 2 rockets, which were fired by a chopper the second it spawned right in front of me,

It always spawns in the same spot far out on the right side when the player has almost reached the "hole in the fence" in the middle of the bridge. So it can't have spawned right in front of you if you looked around a little and stopped running.

Some more advice is that you'll find it very hard to get hit by the mortar fire, which is only there to make the player take cover in the border station for the coming wave across the bridge, which includes a Panhard which will take out anything in the open quite fast.

sorry but it really did spawn right in front of me at that time, or to be exact, reared it's head from behind the horizon because I actually saw the marker move up first before seeing the actual chopper but by the time I was waiting to lock-on to the thing, it immediately fired it's rockets straight at me.

It was probably just one of those days, considering the fact that everything just felt so awkward and unresponsive at that time, and giving that mission another chance would probably clear things up for me but I've already decided not to give that campaign another go since I already know what happened to the story, even though irrelevant as it was, and there's really nothing about those missions that would urge me to play them again.

Oh sure, missions 1 and 2 were alright and I actually thought saving Rosen was the best thing ever since it felt like a miniature version of the POW mission from [GR] but everything else was just a constant barrage of linear and repetitive situations that I've already seen in other games that handled such things better like CoD4.

I suppose I'll try doing coop multiplayer next time even though I know how useless I'll be or probably just uninstall this game entirely and reinstall [GR] because I don't have space in my HD to fit these 2 together.

On the subject of story vs. gameplay, here are a couple of interesting articles from gamasutra.com:

GDC 2008: The future of story in game design

I think story should serve the gameplay, and not the other way.

Matthew Karch, Saber 3D.

Games are the eighth art form: the glue is interactivity, and that aspect is something that makes our industry unique and there’s a huge misconception at this industry is that gameplay is everything. These people are going to be mistaken.
Denis Dyack, Silicon Knights.

Actually, they're both right, and both wrong. Take a game like SWAT4: The original game has no story whatsoever. It's a series of completely separate missions including a psycho kidnapper who lives with his mom, a diamond heist gone badly wrong, religious freaks with a suicide pact and even dangerous biowar terrorists. The old Spec Ops games had a (very thin) background story for each mission, but there were no story links between each of them. Yet it worked like a charm and I cared as much for the success of each mission as I did for the overall story in Stetchkov Syndicate or the old Rainbow Six games.

However, the expansion pack "The Stetchkov Syndicate" had the missions linked by a common story: Russian mafia type people selling military weapons to criminals. Did the story add anything to the game? Yes maybe a little bit. Did it really matter (as in "could it have made up for other deficiencies?")? Not really.

And look at The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. The main quest as well as most of the side quests had stories. It would still be possible to make a game of this type without a story joining each task together, but it would be a very different game. CoD4 put most of its eggs in the story-basked and gave the player a (by game standards) very compelling story. It would probably have been a somewhat bland experience without it. In these cases, the story did matter.

Ergo, the relevance and importance of a story depends on the game. And this is where GRAW went wrong. Badly wrong. In GRAW1 I was supposed to be really angry and vengeful about Ontiveros killing my pilot friend (I still have this nagging suspicion that this part of the story had elements of a homoerotic love triangle, not that there is anything wrong with that), but in reality I just didn't give a hoot. In no way did the story make up for other deficiencies in the game. What it did do was spam the game with ultra-annoying NARCOM cutscenes and insistance of regularly plunging me into Hollywood-style "harrowing situations", at the expense of gameplay freedom.

A story is important when it fits the game (such as Oblivion and CoD4), where, to an extent, the game is built around the story (CoD4 in particular). Even for gametypes where it doesn't necessarily fit (like SWAT4), it doesn't do any harm as long as it doesn't get in the way of the gameplay. In GRAW, the story did get in the way of the gameplay.

So game developers should just stick to background briefings or no story at all then? If it keeps them from screwing up the gameplay then yes. But more importantly, we gamers will just make our own stories.

thisgamasutra.com-article is about stories as they relate to sandbox-type games, but they do have relevance for us as well:

What makes the stories in sandbox games special is that unlike the stories found in other types of games, these are not told primarily by the game's developer. Instead, they are created and directed largely by the player's decisions.
Neil Sorens, Dancing Robot Studios.

In multiplayer, there are all those "remember when?" moments. Actually, much the same goes for single player. I still remember as if it was yesteday the Gunship 2000 helisim mission where my unarmed Blackhawk was chased by a Hind gunship: I desperately raced down a river canyon as rockets and gunfire whizzed by. With a large open piece of land between me and my base there was no way I was getting home alive. Fortunately, I had an ace up my sleeve: As I threw my Blackhawk behind a large rock, the Hind followed suit, and straight into the crosshairs of my wingman and his Apache gunship. The Hind died and we formed up for the triumphant trip home. This game relied entirely on random generated missions with only a very loose and generic background story on some armed conflict in the Middle East.

In Rogue Spear, I grew particularly fond of Homer Johnston, or "The Redneck Sniper" as I called him, even to the point of having him lead the assault even though more capable CQB characters were availible. Rogue Spear featured the usual "bla bla stolen nukes bla bla" story. Largely irrelevant, but it never got in the way of the gameplay.

In both cases, I made my own stories which were ultimately far more memorable to me than saving the President or avenging my pilot buddy.

Respectfully

krise madsen