Adding more ammunition?

cobrabase

Is there any way to choose to load more primary weapon ammunition? I HATE having to switch to some dead dude's weapon because numb nuts forgot to pack enough ammo to get through a battle!

Come on... going to the mule EVERY TIME is rediculous... the MULE isn't in every mission.

Is there a mod somewhere I can get that will give me more primary and secondary ammo???

edit the weapon_data.xml

find the weapon that you'd like to change the loadout for, and edit the clips entry, mine here for the scar_light I made each clips="12" max_clips= "12"

<weapon_data unit="scar_light" name="scar_light" weapon_id="12" inventory_slot="primary" inventory_slot_id="1" gui_unit="scar_l" weight="3.5" length="80" stability="1" price="120" damage="1.45" selectable_weapon="1" player_weapon="1" grenade="0" cal="556" wizby="2">
<stats caliber="5.56 x 45 mm" rpm="750" velocity="870 m/s" firemodes="SA FA" capacity="30" info="weapon_scarl_bio" clips="12" max_clips="12"/>
<bar_stats accuracy="0.6" stability="0.6" weight="3.5" length="80" impact="0.6" slot_weight="4"/>
<mods front="true" top="true" bottom="true">
<mod mod_id="12" default="1"/>
<mod mod_id="11" />
<mod mod_id="8" />
<mod mod_id="14" />
<mod mod_id="13" />
</mods>
<bio local="weapon_scarl_bio"/>
</weapon_data>
[/code]

edit the weapon_data.xml

find the weapon that you'd like to change the loadout for, and edit the clips entry, mine here for the scar_light I made each clips="12" max_clips= "12"

<weapon_data unit="scar_light" name="scar_light" weapon_id="12" inventory_slot="primary" inventory_slot_id="1" gui_unit="scar_l" weight="3.5" length="80" stability="1" price="120" damage="1.45" selectable_weapon="1" player_weapon="1" grenade="0" cal="556" wizby="2">

<stats caliber="5.56 x 45 mm" rpm="750" velocity="870 m/s" firemodes="SA FA" capacity="30" info="weapon_scarl_bio" clips="12" max_clips="12"/>

<bar_stats accuracy="0.6" stability="0.6" weight="3.5" length="80" impact="0.6" slot_weight="4"/>

<mods front="true" top="true" bottom="true">

<mod mod_id="12" default="1"/>

<mod mod_id="11" />

<mod mod_id="8" />

<mod mod_id="14" />

<mod mod_id="13" />

</mods>

<bio local="weapon_scarl_bio"/>

</weapon_data>

You guys are great! Thank you!

You need more ammo?

Only time I run out is if I play sniper on M10, but that's just before the bunker anyhow so time to go to the MP5SD anyhow. :)

been playing the SP campaign for the past two days, and the SCAR-H is one of my favourite weapons. it gets 20 rounds , with five or six magazines = 120 rounds. Usually not enough, especially on the missions where you have to defend stuff from hordes of enemies, like in Attack on multiple axes where you have to defend the mall. even if you set the SCAR-H to single fire it still eats a lot of ammo. the first time I played it I had like 12 rounds left when I got on the helicopter. Had I played normally, without getting cheap on the ammo when I was on the way to the helo, I would've run out of ammo for sure

we should have the ability to put down suppressive fire without having to worry about ammo

Having to keep an eye on your ammo counter is one more thing I like about the game. I hated having so many rounds in other games that ammo wasn't an issue. What's the point of even having an ammo limit if it's jacked up so high? Although of all games, I think ArmA did it the best. You COULD load up on a ton of ammo, but you wouldn't have room for anything else. Or you could just bring in 2 mags, a pistol with a spare mag, frags, smoke, C4, all that fun stuff.

Having to keep an eye on your ammo counter is one more thing I like about the game. I hated having so many rounds in other games that ammo wasn't an issue. What's the point of even having an ammo limit if it's jacked up so high? Although of all games, I think ArmA did it the best. You COULD load up on a ton of ammo, but you wouldn't have room for anything else. Or you could just bring in 2 mags, a pistol with a spare mag, frags, smoke, C4, all that fun stuff.

Well, I thought I might be overloading my kit and that's why I had only 5 mags for my SCAR. Nope.

I think that Brettzies 1.4 does something to the weapon_data.xml because after I installed the mod it can't be found.

Agree totally. Having to manage ammo adds to the tension. However, I have added two mags to my primaries because there are times I like to simulate a peel or provide cover fire during bounding. The default ammo provided is what you should need for a cut n dry stealth mission, which I can appreciate. It's definately the right idea and I commend GRIN for it.

BTW, the need for cover fire is where a huge problem with mission design comes into view; it's a crime the way objectives are triggered by eliminating the last enemy in a zone. It eliminates any and all need for bounding or concern at all for any opposition until you reach the next triggered zone. Also, moving to extract would be a lot more fun if you actually had to bound overwatch to the chopper.

Back to ammo, at the end of mission 2 "something recon" I use bounding all the way back to the chopper, providing cover fire at all the logical areas. Sadly, I am merely simulating possible opfor, when actually I am quite home free. But anyway, that's all I use additional ammo for. If I play the missions strictly as scripted, the default ammo is enough.

Edit: one more thought. Remember it's a SQUAD tac shooter. Keep your mates in position do get some kills. An important aspect of the game is using them to the fullest, which still leaves you with plenty of targets, but you aren't the only one expending ammo.

Edited by doubletap

The majority of the default loadouts are on the light side, considering that resupply is only scripted in 2 or 3 of the missions. Carrying a double combat load (ammo) would be more realistic than carrying a secondary as well as a sidearm.

Luckily, it's an easy thing to tweak.

____

I think that Brettzies 1.4 does something to the weapon_data.xml because after I installed the mod it can't be found.
It was edited and is bundled into the mod.

• 6 months later...

I remember adding 2 rounds to the Brettzies M468, the data should be in the units/weapons folder.

thanks for the tip but where do you go to edit the other weapons like the m99 or SCAR??

You'll need to have extracted the bundles to see the other weapons. They are in

\units\weapons\u_barret.xml (for for the m99)

\lib\managers\xml\weapons_data.xml

Then you can edit them and put them the same path in your local\English folder...have a look through some of the posts in the forum for more info. on extracting bundle files, modding weapons and using the local folder.

Edited by davros

I remember adding 2 rounds to the Brettzies M468, the data should be in the units/weapons folder.

thanks for the tip but where do you go to edit the other weapons like the m99 or SCAR??

You'll need to have extracted the bundles to see the other weapons. They are in

\units\weapons\u_barret.xml (for for the m99)

\lib\managers\xml\weapons_data.xml

Then you can edit them and put them the same path in your local\English folder...have a look through some of the posts in the forum for more info. on extracting bundle files, modding weapons and using the local folder.

I dont think my weapons are in a bundle folder cause i have the 1.41 mod

is the \units\weapons\u_barret.xml in the local folder? cause i cant find it.

Also editing the capacity in the weapons_data.xml doesnt work for some reason, it only works when i edit the weight and magazine number.

and is it possible to add a gl for the m468 by doing editing an xml.?

how to extract?

Look in Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2\public_tools\bundler for a readme.txt that explains the bundler which is used to extract....

"Use the bundler application included in the GRAW 2 1.03 patch (public_tools folder)

Copy the patch.bundle into the bundler folder, create a folder named data in there and
used the following commandline in the comandprompt.

bundler extract -r patch.bundle data data

ALTERNATIVE EXPLANATION (by GRIN Wolfsong)

Go to Start -> run -> find the bundler exe and select it and press ok ->
add "extract -r patch.bundle data data" after the last " and press enter."[/code]

Note that this will extract all of the XML's (and other files in the bundle) to the chosen directory...suggest you create a separate dir outside of the GRAW folder to put the extract in and then copy the needsed XML's to the appropriate local/English folder and make the edits there.

Also, try XMLMarker as an editor it makes things MUCH easier. It's free and from xmlmarker.com.

There are also a number of posts in this forum that cover these questions...might pay to search on a few key words...but agree it can be hard to get started on modding...so ask away.

Dav

Edited by davros

You have to extract it from the quick.bundle file and put it in your local\english

units

weapons\ directory.

how to extract?

also if you made a weapon available for secondary instead of primary how do you move its attachments to secondary?

Davros instructions are pretty good, and there is also a stickied thread around here somewhere on how to do it as well. To answer the second part, once a weapon is set for secondary, the attachments follow it. Attachments are assigned to the weapon, not primary/secondary. :)