SP weapon selection changes

I've been looking at the SP weapon selection and found that I wanted to limit certain weapons to certain classes as bit more, to make the different team members a bit more special and make the loss of one affect team selection more.

So to do this I had to adjust some code for both the weapon selection and the mod selection, which resulted in the ability to also limit weapon mods to certain classes.

So what I've done it this:

Limited "sniper" class to only use sniper weapons.

Limited "support" class to only use support weapons.

Added support for limiting weapon mods to classes.

Limited combat sights and front grips to "rifleman" class.

Limited grenade launchers to "demolitions" class.

Added G36K and G36C to SP kits.

Fixed inventory selection icons for G36K and G36C.

hope the balance of the classes is good.

Looking forward for your mod Wolf

Balancing the classes isn't something taken into consideration in SP. The player is "team leader" and has access to all weapons. It's only limiting to the other team members, who had some limitations before but could all use all assault rifles and mods for those.

is it possible to edit how certain classes deal with certain weapons? i always have the feeling it's more weapon-specific. what i mean is: can i make the sniper class do mainly single shots with assault and battle rifles, and the sawgunner longer bursts using the same guns? it may not be very realistic, but would bring in some more variety.

Edited by SpringMan

is it possible to edit how certain classes deal with certain weapons? i always have the feeling it's more weapon-specific. what i mean is: can i make the sniper class do mainly single shots with assault and battle rifles, and the sawgunner longer bursts using the same guns? it may not be very realistic, but would bring in some more variety.

That would be in the AI.

Don't know about the support AI, but I know the sniper AI behaves differently then the rest.

I've been looking at the SP weapon selection and found that I wanted to limit certain weapons to certain classes as bit more, to make the different team members a bit more special and make the loss of one affect team selection more.

So to do this I had to adjust some code for both the weapon selection and the mod selection, which resulted in the ability to also limit weapon mods to certain classes.

So what I've done it this:

Limited "sniper" class to only use sniper weapons.

Limited "support" class to only use support weapons.

Added support for limiting weapon mods to classes.

Limited combat sights and front grips to "rifleman" class.

Limited grenade launchers to "demolitions" class.

Added G36K and G36C to SP kits.

Fixed inventory selection icons for G36K and G36C.

That sounds cool. I kind of wish mp was like this...I mean, it is with the kit selection, but you have to define every single kit you want to use. Seems like it could have been simpler to let people pick their weapon and then have limits on what kind of attachments they could use based on class as well as certain weapons being limited to certain classes.

As for limits, I do think sidearms(pistols) should be available to everyone.

GL is standard rifleman equipment, not exclusive to the grenadier. And it is common for the squad leader to be equiped with GL, not only for explosives but also smoke.

It won't be now as there isn't much else to make special about demolitions as everyone can place C4. So it's either limit him to the M32 or give him exclusive use of the GL.

And team leader can use everything in the game, always.

Okay I see what you mean: Limit the A.I. guys to no GL except the player and Demolitions. That's not unrealistic, it's actually how it should be.

BTW Wolfsong, is this update part of the patch or is it a mod?

Edited by doubletap

Don't know about the support AI, but I know the sniper AI behaves differently then the rest.
I keep reading that but if I change the soldier_type values of the AI for A/B comparisons (or additional weapon options) I have not been able to determine any changes to their behavior recon or assault.

For example, Hume with a default value of 3 (sniper) but equipped with a SAW acts/fires just as Brown would in the same circumstance.

Is it tied to the weapon classification or the soldier_type?

I keep reading that but if I change the soldier_type values of the AI for A/B comparisons (or additional weapon options) I have not been able to determine any changes to their behavior recon or assault.

For example, Hume with a default value of 3 (sniper) but equipped with a SAW acts/fires just as Brown would in the same circumstance.

Is it tied to the weapon classification or the soldier_type?

I know the sniper has different behavior if you give him cover orders, then the rest. Besides that I actually don't know if there is any difference. But as I've said in some other topics, I'm not gonna go into the AI as I rally don't know that much of the, now dead, diesel language.

BTW Wolfsong, is this update part of the patch or is it a mod?

It's for a mod. So it's optional.

Will be packed with the draw distance upgrade and MP kits, which will also be upgraded with my map when it's done. But I'll release the other changes first so people can try them out and I can adjust some if the general opinion is there for some changes to what I've done.

Speaking of weapon changes, what about the level of zoom for all the rifles? As it stands they zoom in quite a bit more than they probably should, especially red dots and iron sights. With a 150m draw distance it almost negated the sniper scope, but with 300m it might be a little different, although I absolutely HATE having my iron sights up and playing hell tracking someone who is less than 10m away from me and spraying with a MR-C, only to have me get killed in the process thanks to the increase zoom.

Speaking of weapon changes, what about the level of zoom for all the rifles? As it stands they zoom in quite a bit more than they probably should, especially red dots and iron sights. With a 150m draw distance it almost negated the sniper scope, but with 300m it might be a little different, although I absolutely HATE having my iron sights up and playing hell tracking someone who is less than 10m away from me and spraying with a MR-C, only to have me get killed in the process thanks to the increase zoom.

I'll take a look at where that is specified. If it's built into the animations I can't adjust it. But otherwise I agree with you. It was the same problem in GR1, and I removed it with my mod then as well. ;)

I know it's not part of the animations because I did it in GRAW 1 a while back while testing. Something like the FOV or some such. It becomes a narrowed 5 for the 50 cal, 25 or 30 for the SCARs, 35 for the XM8, and I'm not sure what the pistols were at, but I know they used a default setting rather than customized per weapon like the rifles do.