Noob Questions About ArmA

I finally got the free time to fumble around a bit with the editor and the Profile settings. I find it rather perplexing that the enemy AI seem to shoot like normal people only when I had set the accuracy values to the deepest decimals of 0.000001. :blink:

I found this to be the case when I played the first sniping mission of the campaign, noted hostile bullets hitting everything at my direction with some actually whizzing passed my ears, and got out successfully with only a few scratches and a traumatized pair of pruned balls from all the adrenaline rush I just went through( :lol: ), which I find very appropriate considering the fact that the convoy troops and I were probably between more than 600 meters of sniping distance with me using a sniper-rifle against a horde of AK/M136-totting OPFORs(both weapons any normal person would find hard to shoot accurately with at that distance).

Just to add another test to the mix, I also did the next side-mission which had me doing sabotage work against a group of armored tanks and infantry. To anyone else who also did this sorry excuse of a mission, they would know that any firefights that would happen here were usually be distanced by around 300 meters or less. This time, I did expect to get hit alot if I didn't do things properly, which of course what happened when I blew up the last tank with a satchel charge and got spotted by the surviving troops that I eventually took care of during a firefight that lasted a tad too long enough to cross the boundaries of safety. The firefight resulted with me receiving bullet holes on every part of my body except all the major organs, possibly being attributed to the obsessive-compulsive tendencies of the AI to use full-out auto fire on every damn thing they see no matter how far it is, which I find logical when considering the relativity of recoil and accuracy. Fortunately, my character still had enough strength to run as fast as he could to the boat waiting for me at the beach. UNFORTUNATELY, I somehow forgot to kill the last soldier who probably got the smart idea to duck and cover during the firefight, which eventually reached to the conclusion of him running after me to successfully resume the murder. <_<

I'm in no way feeling bad about this though(except for the totally atrocious level design of that bloody mission) since it meant that the AI are good enough to kill you within the actual effectiveness of their weapons but receive a proper amount of degradation in accuracy at anything farther than that range.

I'm still thinking about also reducing the accuracy of friendly forces but those cockslaps could probably do well enough as it is because the odds are always 1 to 50 and since they're as stupid as their polar-opposite counterparts, having better accuracy is the only thing keeping them above the rest of the suicidal maniacs in this game.

I may try to increase the enemy accuracy by a decimal in due time but since the present one already looks to be within the bounds of common sense, I probably won't even bother anymore and just focus on actually using that editor more seriously now.

Edited by mark2000

I just ordered arma gold today, looking fwd to co-op. I've watched some videos of massive co-op sessions involving fantastic players, and I enjoyed just watching these vids more than actually playing anything else, even GR!!

I watched a 40 minute mission, and only actually saw three or four kills, but the realism is just riveting! I tried the demo when it was first released but deleted it after just five minutes of trying to adjust to such a weird and complex contol scheme. But after watching these co-op games, I'm giving it 110% effort this time around.

The youtube videos that basically sold me the game can be found by google searching "shack arma".

Edited by doubletap

I just ordered arma gold today, looking fwd to co-op. I've watched some videos of massive co-op sessions involving fantastic players, and I enjoyed just watching these vids more than actually playing anything else, even GR!!

I watched a 40 minute mission, and only actually saw three or four kills, but the realism is just riveting! I tried the demo when it was first released but deleted it after just five minutes of trying to adjust to such a weird and complex contol scheme. But after watching these co-op games, I'm giving it 110% effort this time around.

The youtube videos that basically sold me the game can be found by google searching "shack arma".

The Shack Tactical vids were the very reason I searched for ArmA like my life depended on it. I never joined their clan though since you'd need to already have mastered the entire control scheme and learn to navigate yourself in the survival map using only a compass, clock, and surrounding landmarks. I'm not exactly THAT hardcore when it comes to simulations especially when I rarely get the time to learn such things. Plus, I don't have a microphone for teamspeak.

Outside shack tactical, majority of coop servers are usually using the "Evolution" mod. You'll learn to love it(if not INSTANTLY :lol: ). Besides the map that can mark enemy positions in sight and aimbots with the sniping skills equivalent to the old tangos you fight in [GR], it's actually loads of fun to play since there will always be something for each and everyone to do. Things only get interesting when you reach 30 points though since that's the only time you'll be acquiring the very useful weapons like M24s and that's also the time you get the ability to pilot most of the vehicles.

BTW, I suggest you download the 1.08 patch and the "lowplants" mod. Feel free to use the 1.09 beta though if you like but someone said to me that there are still very few servers there when compared to 1.08.

Also, if you wish to get a good single-player experience, I suggest learning how to use the editor since the campaign missions are a load of crap. It's very easy to learn anyway but don't expect to pull off very complicated stuff unless you do some good scripting. (although i'm sure you're good at that already so I'm probably the one that should be asking YOU to help me on that :lol: )

Edited by mark2000

Also, if you wish to get a good single-player experience, I suggest learning how to use the editor since the campaign missions are a load of crap. It's very easy to learn anyway but don't expect to pull off very complicated stuff unless you do some good scripting. (although i'm sure you're good at that already so I'm probably the one that should be asking YOU to help me on that)

Not me, I can't even spell scripping. I do lots of file editing and retexturing in GR, but no schripting. But, I'm not keen on too much scrypting anyway, especially enemy troops. As long as I can get enemies and vehicles in logical positions, patrols, etc, I can create a sp mission that I can immerse myself in.

I played the demo for 8 hours last night and have become familiar with the controls, and I'm hoping MP will require even fewer keyboard acrobatics, having no AI to command.

I noticed shack tactical uses TS, but doesn't the game have it's own voice comm system?

Not me, I can't even spell scripping. I do lots of file editing and retexturing in GR, but no schripting. But, I'm not keen on too much scrypting anyway, especially enemy troops.

Alright! Alright! I get the idea LOL! :rofl:

As long as I can get enemies and vehicles in logical positions, patrols, etc, I can create a sp mission that I can immerse myself in.

You don't even have to set patrol routes for the infantry. Just set them to DISMISS and SAFE and they'll either just stand at one place all day or walk around aimlessly and instantly switch to combat mode when they detect hostile presence. Add that with the ability to spawn them at random locations within a radius you specify and you'll have a mission that'll never go about the exact same way two times in a row.

You'll have to do abit more complicated stuff with the editor if you want to have an AI land choppers though because that thing involves visible/invisible helipads, properly distanced waypoints, triggers, and a simple script command for the actual landing.

You COULD pilot the chopper yourself instead but I personally think that doing so somewhat diminishes the immersiveness of the mission. Well, unless of course you're the type of person who doesn't like to be classified to a certain standard and thinks that every living/non-living object in your arsenal is just a bloody chess piece that contributes to a bigger picture. Besides, doing things that way will actually lessen headaches in the long run.

I played the demo for 8 hours last night and have become familiar with the controls, and I'm hoping MP will require even fewer keyboard acrobatics, having no AI to command.

Yes, you won't have to worry yourself about babysitting AI in multiplayer(although I actually find the AI here pretty smart and keen sighted aside from the whole path finding problem thing) unless you wish to recruit one, which is the case in EVOLUTION maps.

I noticed shack tactical uses TS, but doesn't the game have it's own voice comm system?

it does. They tested it themselves but I think I remember them mentioning on one of the vids that it was too choppy or something. :ermm:

Personally, I find the command system very well thought out and could be used properly on almost any circumstances. My only problem is that even simple commands like HALT have such absurd amounts of key presses that would probably be enough to build an entire regimen if done on an RTS game.