Game sales for 2007

Colin

Is the console killiing the pc.

It seems yes.

Well yes and no. As a large, multi billion dollar mass market then yes, it's probably Adios PC. But the big money in games have been in video game consoles for the last 20 years.

And hey, the global PC game market is still a billion dollar business. If the big shots pull out to focus on consoles, then there will be more room for the smaller fish to make a profit.

Respectfully

krise madsen

Yes to a point but some companies are just not supporting pc games after release.

Or are just not putting the Development time in for a decent product.

I really think it is getting near the time to move away from the 4 big Distributers.

I think you're right on the last one. They may consider the market too small to be worth the effort. That new Star Wars jedi game will be out for consoles only.

So we might not get Call of Duty 5, Gears of War 2, or Grand Theft Auto 5 on PC. I can live with that.

Which reminds me... PM on the way.

Respecfully

krise madsen

Interesting, but I highly doubt PC gaming will ever die out completely.

The last PC games I bought were GR Gold Edition and RVS. I now game primarily on a console, since I do not game enough to justify investing so much into hardware for the latest games. Now I know if I had to buy a new TV to support the higher def games of today this could easily "balance" the cost factor, but I am already set on the TV, so for me it is only the cost of the console. I just do not game enough to justify the expense of PC gaming, but for the hardcore PC gamer, I just do not see them switching over. I think the people that drop PC gaming will be people more like myself, as I do not have THAT much commitment to gaming to begin with.

Yes to a point but some companies are just not supporting pc games after release.

Or are just not putting the Development time in for a decent product.

I really think it is getting near the time to move away from the 4 big Distributers.

I think you're right on the last one. They may consider the market too small to be worth the effort. That new Star Wars jedi game will be out for consoles only.

So we might not get Call of Duty 5, Gears of War 2, or Grand Theft Auto 5 on PC. I can live with that.

Which reminds me... PM on the way.

Respecfully

krise madsen

On a side note, Call of Duty 5 is a WWII setting.

I think I kept the link in my favorites for about two months in case this debate ever came up again, but as luck would have it, I delted it about a week ago.

The article was basically debunking the myth that PC games were dying.

Some of the major points I remember were:

1. The numbers listed in your link colin are all consoles combined. The Pc is just another console. Divide up the console numbers into the three big makers, and the numbers from pc to each individual console get much closer.

2. Pc games purchased online through download are not tracked in the U.S. I don't know how much there is, but it could be a significant number that would bring things even closer still.

Wish I could remeber more, if I find the link again I'll add it in.

Edit:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2188339,00.asp

Edited by PwntUpRage

It's true, the gap isn't near as big as that chart makes it sound like. However, the article isn't quite accurate either -- just because the npd numbers are unfair doesn't mean consoles aren't greatly outselling pcs. They just aren't outselling them by (anywhere near) that much.