Guessing game, or not?

I was wondering how big players think the maps actually are in GRAW2. I have the numbers within 10 meter of how larger the landscapes playable area are for most levels so I think it would be interesting to check how that translates when actually playing the game.

The sizes are of the landscapes rotated to fit inside a rectangle as good as possible, and not diagonal, to get the most accurate length and width of the maps.

Without cheating (by checking) I'd say in the neighborhood of 450M of playable terrain. Some maps with natural obstructions in the middle (I think The Cut is one) can be significantly larger, as the maximum line of sight is short.

I wonder if there is a way to check the actionable area, that is, the area in which you can engage & be engaged.

euhmm....

i got one i could measure partially,

the damn, that one is huge,....

first part is like 250 - 300 meters long, then you get the corner up to the dam itself which would be.... between 300 and 500 meters long

the damn is about 200-250 meters long and then the last part would be kinda like 200 - 250 meters long.

then take the general width, which would be between 50 and 150 meters.

and the tunnel complex... dont forget that one...

so it is a lot....

i thought of using draw distance as my guide to measure... so i could be off and i have not played in a while...

mp maps...

timber would be around 600-600

mp players try and go out and measure with the dreaded m99...

i'm probably way off :P

Not many takers here so I'll simple post the map sizes. :)

Timber 320x390

The Cut 300x310

Crashsite 280x290

Lagoon 170x410

Calavera 190x330

Nowhere 200x240

Fort 150x230

Arroyo 100x220

Ageia Island 140x430

Training Ground 130x170

Mission01 240x260

Mission02 370x280

Mission03 450x300

Mission04 300x380

Mission05 380x220

Mission06 330x310

Mission07 310x290

Mission08 230x290

Mission09 800x470 (including bunker, almost half this area is non playable)

Mission10 470x310 (including bunker, a little more then half is playable)

So from that you've all learned that the maps are in general smaller then you think. ;)

best for coop is to be over 300 to 400. Open maps,to have distance from one object to other.

For multiplayer is different,i think the mapsize is good,they have variety but not enough maps :(

I don't think Coop needs much more open maps then MP. It's all about the way people want to play. Those who want to snipe much want more open maps then those who like to run between covers as a team.

Oh, and the map I'm building is about 400x340.

best for coop is to be over 300 to 400. Open maps,to have distance from one object to other.

For multiplayer is different,i think the mapsize is good,they have variety but not enough maps :(

I don't think Coop needs much more open maps then MP. It's all about the way people want to play. Those who want to snipe much want more open maps then those who like to run between covers as a team.

Oh, and the map I'm building is about 400x340.

I like the sound of that map size.

Daxt

http://www.OldGhostClan.com

Not many takers here so I'll simple post the map sizes. :)

Timber 320x390

The Cut 300x310

Crashsite 280x290

Lagoon 170x410

Calavera 190x330

Nowhere 200x240

Fort 150x230

Arroyo 100x220

Ageia Island 140x430

Training Ground 130x170

Mission01 240x260

Mission02 370x280

Mission03 450x300

Mission04 300x380

Mission05 380x220

Mission06 330x310

Mission07 310x290

Mission08 230x290

Mission09 800x470 (including bunker, almost half this area is non playable)

Mission10 470x310 (including bunker, a little more then half is playable)

So from that you've all learned that the maps are in general smaller then you think. ;)

lol mate most of us are complete noobs at this kind of stuff but it is nice to know, i just run around them well creep i mean :thumbsup:

well how long does it take you to make a map Wolf ??

It's for every game mode. Including SP, although I've not adjusted the AI so they won't react until the player is 150m from them.
This sounds promising for the Ghosts but quite a handicap for the Banditos...can't you make a global edit of the detection range values for the OpFor, to level it up a bit?

Wish you good luck with this!

:thumbsup:

Found it. The variables that can be adjusted (by any modder) are:

- Auto detect range (in cm)

- Seeing radius (in cm and with 4 stages)

- Seeing cone angle (in degrees, 1 setting for stage 1 and 1 for stages 2-4)

- Hearing radius (in cm and with 4 stages)

All these are also available for separate settings for the Ghosts, which in the original game are set to be the exact same.

EDIT:

How do they work? Well... basically the 4 stages work like this (with some special cases and such which I 'm not really sure how to explain yet):

Everything is overridden if the AI already knows where the target is and their memory time has yet not expired (det_memory_see or det_memory_hear depending on situation). So then it's all a game of run and hide to try and get away again.

SEEING

- STAGE1: Detects target if seen inside set range and cone, no matter which mode they are using.

- STAGE2: Detects target if seen inside set range and cone, if in assault mode or if in recon mode and has a stance higher then prone.

- STAGE3: Detects target if seen inside set range and cone, if in assault mode and with a stance higher then prone or if in recon mode and with a stance higher then crouch.

- STAGE4: Detects target if seen inside set range and cone, if in assault mode and with a stance higher then crouch.

HEARING

- STAGE1: Detects target if noise made within range and noise is player moving in assault mode, in the open or behind cover, or player running in either mode, in the open or behind cover, or weapon fired.

- STAGE2: Detects target if noise made within range and noise is player moving in assault mode in the open, or if weapon fired in the open, or unsilenced weapon fired behind cover.

- STAGE3: Detects target if noise made within range and noise is unsilenced weapon fired in the open or behind cover.

- STAGE4: Detects target if noise made within range and noise is unsilenced weapon fired in the open.

So by looking at these, the correct stance and mode does affect the AI significantly. ;)

EDIT2:

Then there is also the det_shot_timer that says how long the sound stays and is in the risk of getting into the detection range for a moving enemy, and explosion_alert_range for at how long range the AI will detect detonations.