Map Rendering Error

CrazyMahone

I'm having a rendering error where after a Medium render, I get whacky walls and ground. Walls are green/black blobs and the ground are orange blue blobs. As shown below. How do I render "normal" walls and ground, do I have to render High, delete the lightmaps first?

Any ideas?

(by the way, getting this screen grab was painful ... had to put GRAW into a window then do a screen print shot. is there a better way? -- see my other post)

RenderError.jpg

did u use different layouts in 1 map?

historical and city together or something?

the u need to edit the texture scope.

<xi:include href="/data/settings/set_texture_scope_editor.xml#xpointer(/include/common/*)"/>

<xi:include href="/data/settings/set_texture_scope_editor.xml#xpointer(/include/historical/*)"/>

<xi:include href="/data/settings/set_texture_scope_editor.xml#xpointer(/include/city/*)"/>

<xi:include href="/data/settings/set_texture_scope_editor.xml#xpointer(/include/industrial/*)"/>

<xi:include href="/data/settings/set_texture_scope_editor.xml#xpointer(/include/ghetto/*)"/>

with this u can use all layouts, u just need to quickbundle it again.

this is the command for the runbox. u might need to adjust the paths and names.

"F:\Games\Ubisoft\Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter\tools\bundler" -vvb quick-bundle -r "F:\Games\Ubisoft\Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter\custom_levels\work_temp\1" -D "F:\Games\Ubisoft\Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter\custom_levels\my_level.bundle"

and for the screenshots, check the other post ;)

that's the old texture_scope problem - if you get those goofy textures, you aren't using pieces from the same single texture set you chose in the editor and the game was originally designed for so it could run on less powerful systems. Hack the Texture_Scope file as shown above, and make sure you set it to read-only in the file properties dialog before you render again. Maps look just fine in medium quality. I have only had problems with high quality for a gain in image quality you can only see when you are standing a few inches in front of a wall in the game anyway.

I take it those trees, cars and the building didn't just drop on your map randomly by accident? So what am I gaining by having something generate some grassy areas for me that I need to go in and edit anyway? You can't/shouldn't drop stuff on top of grass tiles, so you spend all your time removing tiles instead of placing them in between buildings. Then you do it again to place roads. I really don't see how I would save time with this tool

If I am in a hurry to slap a new map together, I just unbundle a Grin map and put my own scenario onto that map, then rebundle. When I am building my own terrain, I want it to live up to the quality of those maps and just take my time.

Well, the best way to reply is to say this is my first map. Got to learn to walk before you can run. Generating the grass and walls seemed like the best way to go to begin with ... in hindsight, probably not a good plan. But the map I have produced 1/3 done is pretty brutal ... a tough haul - 177 kills. Even in "easy" (usually play Hard or Hardcore) and knowing the locations of all the "bad guys" I still got myself killed 30-40 times in my tests -- there is a couple of snipers in the mission (see below). But that's the intent ... to make it really difficult, however, I've added a sense of tactics to the map, so that a brute-force method will get you killed, but a tactical approach will get you killed less.

Anyway, to set up the standard "enemies", I'm also writing some world.xml management utilities. The first is called GRAW Spawn Buddy. You first identify the locations of all your "enemies" on the map, but you don't give them a "group id". Next you draw out a series of areas. One area is called "human_area_#" (where # is a number 1 to whatever). Another area is called "human_spawn_#" (same # as the area).

You go into your world file and copy-and-paste the "area" definitions and the "human" definitions into the software. What the program does is update the XML for the human's identifying which area the human falls within. It then ties the spawn location to the humans that fall within the area and modifies the XML for the humans to identify the GroupID (groups are named "human_#"), and you paste this XML back into the world.xml file. It also generates elements for your mission.xml script to create "area group", "user triggers" and "event" definitions for the groups. The software also identifies humans that fall outside of the "human_area_#" boundaries.

It's also kind of smart in that once an enemy has a group assigned it's not assigned again. This allows you to have overlapping areas and not be concerned about where a human is mapped first. For example a smaller area inside of a larger area only needs to have a smaller # and all the humans in that smaller area get the group assigned first.

I did it this way because I figure it would be a pain in the butt to first set up spawn locations and tie them to a map with a hundreds of "enemies" on it (my goal). It might be okay when you set up the enemies, but then it becomes painful when you want reorganize when or where you spawn the enemies as you test and validate your map on the ground.

In the example below, I've reorganized the groups about 2-3 times to come up with some that is cleaner. I also found it became far easier to add a lot of "enemies" to the map, because I didn't need to worry about group assignments. I'm not sure if any of you have a similar issue.

As I learn to make maps, I'll write more utilities to further simplify the process. I'm also hoping this work can be applied to GRAW 2 ... though I'm not as fond of that version because it's missing an OCR Cooperative mode.

GRAW_Humans.jpg

well nice little tools, but for me no help.

but if u have a tool ready what will layout probs in a good looking and logic way, let me know. :D

the name tool thingi sounds to be more confusing and complicated than to name my bots that i place.

exspacialy when i work with vehicles it could mesh up something really quick.

or i would need like 50 areas just to get my ai named that it wont spawn to much at once.

another problem would be if u work on more than 1 level.

look at this Screen thats a map i m working on in the moment.

your tool would give me a hard time in the palacios, couse the area will cover the ground, 2nd floor and rooftop.

so i would need so many areas for nameing the ai, and then copy around in the xml,

i better name then when i place them, for me thats faster and easyer.

but every 1 has his own way. ;)

But the map I have produced 1/3 done is pretty brutal ... a tough haul

GRAW_Humans.jpg

I doubt we'll even bother installing this on our server - clearly you have a different target audience for your map. We only play single death and a map with enough sniper cones to obstruct the landscape clearly can't be played in any semi-realistic way. Sometimes less is more...

Edited by fishmonger

• 2 weeks later...

But the map I have produced 1/3 done is pretty brutal ... a tough haul

GRAW_Humans.jpg

I doubt we'll even bother installing this on our server - clearly you have a different target audience for your map. We only play single death and a map with enough sniper cones to obstruct the landscape clearly can't be played in any semi-realistic way. Sometimes less is more...

This map is officially dead. It died because of the mixed textures issue that I honestly didn't want to solve because it meant deleting 40-60% of the map in order to fix it. This was my first map, and I was looking for feedback from my playing buddies as to what worked didn't work.

I am working on two others ... Allison Point (and Allison Point Part 2). Part 2 is just started and I am working on different tactics of the enemy. Both are designed to be "playable" by groups, but a significant challenge (perhaps impossible) by an individual.

If you're into "one death" type of play, this map is probably too difficult without a team of at least 8, because you need a variety of weapons to defeat the foe presented, but it might be worth the challenge. I play with 3 others in hardcore and it's a tough job making it to the end in two hours.

Once I figure out how to program objectives, I can release it into the wild.

- CM