GRAW 1 Map making tutorial

fishmonger

probably a year too late, but since I just spent a few weeks figuring out how to do this map thing, I realize that there were a few things that I could not find explained anywhere on the net. So to save some other folks time who are late to the GRAW map making party, here's what I am putting together for the guys I usually play with - in the hope that I am not the only one making new maps this year. The tutorial focuses on how to remake existing GRIN maps into [GR] maps, but I'm sure you can pick up a few things from it even if you want to make a different type of map.

http://www.thegamerplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18075

probably a year too late, but since I just spent a few weeks figuring out how to do this map thing, I realize that there were a few things that I could not find explained anywhere on the net. So to save some other folks time who are late to the GRAW map making party, here's what I am putting together for the guys I usually play with - in the hope that I am not the only one making new maps this year. The tutorial focuses on how to remake existing GRIN maps into [GR] maps, but I'm sure you can pick up a few things from it even if you want to make a different type of map.

http://www.thegamerplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18075

Thank you sir, this is an excellent tutorial. :)

Great post and as you say maybe a little to late but still very nice, i loved Graw 1, my question to you would be why dont you convert the maps from graw 1 to graw 2 you seem as though you are spending a lot of time making the new maps for graw 1, so why not convert the maps :), i have heard it can be done but would take a while to do :)

Great post and as you say maybe a little to late but still very nice, i loved Graw 1, my question to you would be why dont you convert the maps from graw 1 to graw 2 you seem as though you are spending a lot of time making the new maps for graw 1, so why not convert the maps :), i have heard it can be done but would take a while to do :)

Here's why I am making GRAW1 maps: GRAW 2 completely sucks for online coop play, so this is still the game to make maps for. Bottom line - I haven't touched GRAW2 since I realized that the AI bots there shoot you with deadly acuracy well before they even get into your drawing distance. The game is broken in many respects and there won't be a fix, because they are already giving it away for free, plus they want to sell you an even more watered-down GRAW3 in a few months. Not for me. We play with a full server almost every night in GRAW1 and I doubt that will change anytime soon.

Going to continue with the tutorial in a day or two - am swamped right now trying to finish a new map, which is a remake of the Mission08 terrain. It'll be released in two versions, one hardcore (single death) and one loaded with crazy AI for the respawn crowd who doesn't mind dying 10 times before they make it to the finish.

Edited by fishmonger

Here's why I am making GRAW1 maps: GRAW 2 completely sucks for online coop play, so this is still the game to make maps for. Bottom line - I haven't touched GRAW2 since I realized that the AI bots there shoot you with deadly acuracy well before they even get into your drawing distance. The game is broken in many respects and there won't be a fix, because they are already giving it away for free, plus they want to sell you an even more watered-down GRAW3 in a few months. Not for me. We play with a full server almost every night in GRAW1 and I doubt that will change anytime soon.

Going to continue with the tutorial in a day or two - am swamped right now trying to finish a new map, which is a remake of the Mission08 terrain. It'll be released in two versions, one hardcore (single death) and one loaded with crazy AI for the respawn crowd who doesn't mind dying 10 times before they make it to the finish.

(I'll hijack and say ...)

The three things that bug me about GRAW2. #1 a sniper rifle to the chest isn't enough to take somebody down, but more so than this, if you hit the bot in the chest, they shouldn't be able to get up a second later, aim and shoot me in the head. Though I have never fired a real gun or been to war, it just doesn't seem all that realistic. You either kill them the first time or your dead; it gets to be tiring after a while -- not much fun. #2; it's possible to get killed on a hill, where you cannot see the enemy, but they are able to see you and kill you by shooting through the top of the hill. #3 no [GR] mode.

I was hoping they'd fix it ... sounds like they won't be.

- CM

• 3 weeks later...

Great tutorial

A lot of people and myself only play ORG COOP mode with GRAW1

and found GRAW2 crashing a lot , buggy in SP and MP so we all ditched it and

went back to GRAW1 and JO instead .

Any chance the Tut can be made into a PDF ?

I would like to edit the coop dam graw1 level if possible and change the settings

with the rocks . The AI shoot RIGHT thou the rocks killing team mates and

myself plus the guys in the jeeps with the guns seem to have ultra long vision

Would their be a way to block the AI to see thou buildings ,rocks and trees

Plus we have noticed on a few levels the AI has eyes in the back of their head

and will spin around and shoot us even were they are looking in the other direction

from afar . Any map settings to fix that ?

Any chance the Tut can be made into a PDF ?

I would like to edit the coop dam graw1 level if possible and change the settings

with the rocks . The AI shoot RIGHT thou the rocks killing team mates and

myself plus the guys in the jeeps with the guns seem to have ultra long vision

Would their be a way to block the AI to see thou buildings ,rocks and trees

Plus we have noticed on a few levels the AI has eyes in the back of their head

and will spin around and shoot us even were they are looking in the other direction

from afar . Any map settings to fix that ?

pdf? nope. what you see is what you get. I'd rather be making more maps.

rocks not working - put the physics drivers back on the server, even if it has no such card.

AI sees you when you think not possible -well, no fix for that - they sometimes are damn fast, other times you can shoot the guy next to them and they won't react.

Good practice: don't use a lot of trees, since it doesn't bother them, and keep those silly half height hedges out of the historic maps, since they can shoot through them, and we can barely shoot over them standing fully upright. Collision on those pieces is mapped incorrectly.

AI does not see through buildings though. Not sure what you were experiencing, but none of those things happen on our server. We have seen AI shooting through rocks on gobo4 until we moved the server to an install with full Agia physics drivers installed, and suddenly the map worked.

Thanks for the quick reply .

I am hosting the game on my game pc ,

just playing solo ORG coop at the moment.

The PC has the Agia physics driver installed

and the problem is arising .

Do you mind if I make the tut a PDF file then ?

Saves me having to reload the page all the time

and use quota . Ill be sure to put your name in it .

I can email/upload it somewhere if you want ..

Thanks for the quick reply .

I am hosting the game on my game pc ,

just playing solo ORG coop at the moment.

The PC has the Agia physics driver installed

and the problem is arising .

Do you mind if I make the tut a PDF file then ?

Saves me having to reload the page all the time

and use quota . Ill be sure to put your name in it .

I can email/upload it somewhere if you want ..

you can print it, pdf it, I don't care. Just don't put the PDF online, since I cannot edit that if I feel like revising some stuff in earlier posts (which I have done already a few times)

Dunno about what your problem with the rocks is - check the world.xml and see if there are properties for those rock objects. It's possible that for some strange reason the collision can be turned off on them, but that would not make much sense. I generally avoid using these silly looking bumps called rocks anyway - I think unless you are in Joshua Hills National Park or in the Alabama Hills in Owens Valley, CA, you'll probably never find something like this anywhere in nature anyway. Just put a dumpster there for cover and you're fine :-)

Thanks for the suggestions/help.

I will just remove every single rock since bullets

go right thou them .

At the moment the AI are hiding behind the rocks

being able to see thou them and track myself

and teammate movements and see when were are

walking around containers .

I have noticed in another level that the AI cant shoot

thou fences made out of crisscross of steel bars.

Might start using those instead .

I will look into injecting a bit of colour in the map

as a lot of us are getting stick of playing levels

with shades of yellow , dark green and brown .

I wont put the PDF file online as you asked .

Thanks again ;-)

I have noticed in another level that the AI cant shoot

thou fences made out of crisscross of steel bars.

Might start using those instead .

another thought:

check the world.xml for the map and search for "rock"

when you see this code,

<unit name="rock02_park" unit_id="4108" name_id="none" cover_off="false">

<position pos_x="17925" pos_y="24550" pos_z="0.00012207031"/>

<rotation yaw="0" pitch="0" roll="0"/>

</unit>

make sure cover_off="false" is set for all rocks. If it is set to true, then the bullets will go through them (and any other object where you can turn cover off.

• 2 years later...

I updated the tutorial with some screen capture videos - almost 3 hours of GRAW 1 map making - watch me built a basic map from scratch. The link to the videos in the first post of the original thread.

there are a few folks starting to make maps and I wanted to give them a head start. I will most likely add more videos to explain details about spawns, script issues, etc, that have not been covered in the initial 18 clips.