AI awareness mod

mark2000

is there a way to mod the friendly AI so that they'll be able to see, or rather, detect hostiles through obstacles? I found out that one of the things that make the AI so oblivious to any hostile directly in front of them could be anything from a bush to simply tall shoots of grass behind the enemy, which I find rather pathetic for an elite group of special forces soldiers.

want me to picture a scenario?

a squad of 3 starts taking down hostiles that are charging through a mostly clear but narrow pathway. One hostile manages to cross the hail of gunfire and decides to settle down behind a bush directly in front of the squad. In just a few seconds, the 3 stopped firing and became completely ignorant to the guy. After a while, the hostile made his move and started mowing down all three soldiers from behind his cover. Even though the guy already had more than half of his body exposed when he made his move, the 3 still couldnt locate him until it was too late.

I had a good view of the event since I was directly behind the fireteam when it all happened because I decided to observe how well the AI would perform under such circumstances. Needless to say, it was all fine right until bush guy showed up and started spraying the stupid ######.

shoot that fool! sorry, not to be a smart alec...I think we have all witnessed total idiocy of the friendlies at one time or another and yes, while testing mission senarios during scripting I get a ton of chances to see the team act like they need a seeing eye dog...don't know how to help with that beyond maxing out their stats though...yet at other times they ring out "he is history" and I have no idea who they just shot, so I think it all kinda washes out in the end...

mig :ph34r:

well. I'm starting to doubt that it's possible to make an AI wallhack code so for now, I just amped up the skills of all my soldiers and degraded the hostiles' skills.

I have a question though. Is setting a skill to 0 considered a valid change or is 1 the absolute minimum?

And another thing: Would going beyond 8 make the skill better?

Edited by mark2000

I don't know about zero working for a minimum. I guess it could be tried.

I am pretty sure 8 is the max.

Well, I tried the zero thing but I'm still not quite sure about it although on one case, I DID manage to get enough time to take control of a pinned down squad and eliminate the hostile that was literally standing 15 meters or less from where the squad was when, in under normal circumstances, they would've already been killed right off the bat before they could even get the chance to report to me. I suppose it works but I'm still not sure.

Is the weapon skill also involved with the amount of time an AI aims his gun before taking a shot?

The stealth 8 works like a charm though. Apparently, and very displeasing in my opinion, it's actually enough to distance the enemy close enough for the friendly AI to see him clearly at all times. This is so annoying since it reminds me how horrendous the AI is when it comes to field awareness. (which is a mystery since they're so great at doing recon)

Edited by mark2000